Free web hosting deal, maybe a good one (also, free beer disk!)

Then again, maybe not. You’ll have to decide for yourself. Here is a link to the thread on AnandTech in which it is being discussed, so you can see what the hardcore geeks think about it:

forums.anandtech.com/messageview … id=1148343

Basics:

• Three years of professional-speed web hosting.
  • No charges, unless you register your domain through them (US$6/year).
  • limited to 5Gb of transfer per month, US$1/Gb thereafter.

Cons:
Apparently they’re utter bastards about giving you your domain name rights back when you try to leave.

Possible plan-of-attack:
Space to store images and music data, free of charge, for three whole years. Get some junky domain name and be prepared to let it go when the time is up.

Depending on what you’re after, there may be other pros, cons, and usage ideas. Maybe you’ll even like them and stay there after the three years are up. Apparently the hosting company is big in Europe and is trying to make inroads elsewhere.

Anyway, there it is, if you want to try it. Offer expires on December 31, 2003.

Secondarily, here’s the info about the free Guinness beer disk:
guinnessdisk.com/

Probably only good in certain parts of the U.S., but if you have friends/family in an available state, you can give them a Christmas present. :slight_smile:

I use a similar free service - you pay $5 annuall for your domain name, and have to do it through them. Hosting is not charged.

The downside? My site has disappeared a couple of times. The POP server is frequently unreachable, and they don’t respond to customer service requests.

You get what you pay for.

I decided to shift the site to icd soft, who I have used for several years without problem, but couldn’t get them to change the DNS entry. So I’m stuck with an unreliable web host.

ICD are based in Hong Kong, also have servers in the USA. $60 a year gets you all the service you can use. And they DO really answer support requests promptly. It’s worth the money.

Anyone use Geocities for their webhosting? how does it stack up?

Kenneth