Free Will?

I may have heard the same kind of thing.

When one has lost the ability to speak at will and make coherent statement using words though…yeah…totally different experience. You still recall what happened and what it felt like, but I don’t believe that drugs along gets you what this guy seems to be selling, wrt “expanding consciousness.” It may simply be that the brain on schrooms is far less able to keep up with itself and is dazzled by what’s going on in the eyes via the dilated pupils. :idunno:

The whole “I’m in touch with everything” effect is similar to what Heschel describes as a prophetic experience/life. So, bottom line is, you can do it sober at a nice pace or at 400 mph on acid. Pick your poison.

I was expecting a discussion of this classic film. What a disappointment…

3 Likes

When I woke up bleary eyed this morning I thought it said Free Wifi, I got a little rush.

2 Likes

While it’s possible to tell the difference between the illusion of free wifi and actual free wifi, it’s not possible for the human mind to tell the difference between the illusion of free will and actual free will, thus leading to a philosophical dead end.

Maybe when you wake up tomorrow you’ll mistake the thread title for Free Wife. That’s a whole nother can of worms…

2 Likes

No one is getting a rush over that one.

1 Like

Well, let’s just say the rush is an extremely short-lived one…

1 Like

Please dont blame drugs for what narcissists write about.

But that’s the point. What is “intuitively” considered moral and immoral varies from one group to another. Being gay is not immoral for Seattlites but it is for Saudis. Even worse, when people claim that their sense of moral is rooted in some fundamental principle (say, utilitarianism), you can always find examples of things that are not immoral according to that principle, but that people would still find immoral. Or conversely.

Basically, what we call moral is just rule of thumbs about how we feel about this or that behavior.

Most of us aren’t philosophers though. So I’m not terribly interested in the selfish opinions of egoistic laymeneenwomen. Lol

Before asking a question like that, I would ask myself, “Why do I need that answer?”

What would change for me, if I concluded, “Yes, there is free will” or “No, there is no free will”.

Would there be any difference? What IS the difference between free will and no free will? Why does it matter?

1 Like

Sometimes the search for answers is done with the understanding it is unliikely one.will be found. But the pursuit of knowledge is both stimulating and rewarding cause you nearly always learn a lot about other things you werent planning on… i doubt i will be the one that proves or disproves gods existence, but its fascinating to ponder and think about aandd opens my mind to countless new thoughts i perhaps migh not of thought about. Of course i could also practice my free will and turn my brain off and not think about anything. But thats boring.

I don’t know about the before that quote, but the quote is solid. I’ve been reading that happiness is the opposite of boredom. I tend to agree.

Do you feel you need to ask this question?

No, I don’t feel the need to ask or answer that question. It’s not something that seems important to me at this point in my life. But I agree with Explant that sometimes going somewhere is not just about reaching a goal but also about the process of going and discovering unexpected things along the way. A bit like traveling or reading a book your are not really interested in in the first place.

2 Likes

Why not bring books you ARE interested in? You’ll maybe learn more.