Freeway No. 3 open all the way to Taichung

Travelling down to the Taichung area during CNY, I discovered by chance that the Freeway No. 3 (a.k.a. Second Freeway) was opened all the way down to Taichung. Originally I was planning to take the coastal highway from where the Freeway usually stopped, but it just continued on and on. :smiley:
The standard of the road was great and the traffic was light, so the chances to get a speeding ticket was very high.

It seems like this is an official secret, because no one me or my wife have been talking to are aware of this, even some friends living just a few kilometers from the Freeway 3-4 intersection. We even asked somone about a sign to “Freeway 3”, but the reply was something like: “Naah, it is only a few kilomers”.

So, I was thinking of keeping this secret (and the Freeway) for myself, but as a service to the Segue community, I hereby give you a fast alternative route to Taichung.

Guanxi anyone?

That freeway goes all the way down to Chiayi and connects with the southern freeway, so you can get right down to Pingtung. I came up that way from Kenting in October. Fast and smooth, and the tollbooths hadn’t been opened, so it was also cheap.

Plenty of people know about it now, though – I came up from Taizhong at CNY and sat through two or three jams. Despite the jams, it still took only a little over two hours. The way down took only 90 mins.

During the week then how long would it take to get to Pingtung using the 3?

Is is open all the way?

Do anybody here know when freeway 5 to Pinglin will open? (And when it will open to Ilan?)

Is it open up to your place yet Mr he?
If so I’ll pop on up for a visit

I honestly can’t remember if its freeway all the way yet, but IF there’s a break, then its a very short break around the Changhua area. Thing is, we weren’t traveling direct – we came off the freeway in order to stay at Sun Moon Lake. I do remember that the drive (midweek, non-holiday) from Kending to Sun Moon Lake seemed to go by in a flash, and Nantou to Taipei was just a two-hour breeze.

I think it is not completed yet. I got the impression it stopped in Taichung, where it crossed the (what I call) Taichung Harbour Road, and then continued south from the Changhua area.

But anyway, it is great when you are on frequent trips to Taichung, and as Sandman mention, for trips to Nantou.

Perhaps what’s most important is that its now well-signposted, so even if there is a break (and I’m pretty sure it extends past the Shalu Interchange, which is what X3M means by his Taizhong Harbour Road reference) its easy to find your way to the next open stretch.

Well, now we just need 1-2 more like that, then we’ll be OK. As a matterof fact, the traffic over cny was much better than usual. I drove from yangmei to kending in little more than 5 hours on monday.

Yes, there is a VERY short break between Changhua and Taichung. Otherwise, it is complete down to Pingtung, and a gorgeous ride through hills the whole way, except across southern Taichung. The stretch between Pingtung and Yunlin is wonderful. And there are never any cars on it, and the rest stops are godlike – the one in Dongshan has a 7-11 and a Starbucks and a french bakery (selling the usual stuff, sadly).

The Chungchang – the connecting highway between Changhua and Taichung – connects to Highway 3. Get off Highway 1 at Daya, Chung-ching Rd, head to Taichung, and turn right immediately at the first light. That road, 74, is the Chungchang.

3 is slightly longer – by my estimate, about 20 minutes – but the traffic jams around Kilometer 211 of Highway 1 make it worthwhile. And the pavement is wonderful.

Michael

Mr He, has the southern end extended to Linbian? Last year when I was there, it stopped at Jiuru/Ligang, where my dad’s relatives live, their farms are right next to the freeway.

There’re 3 crossings between Hwy 1 and 3. One at Xizhi, 2nd at Hsinchu, 3rd at Changhua. I’ve heard the news last year that the land base in Yulin is not stable and the bridge is sinking on Choshui River base (Zhuoshui Xi), and having #3 completed will be delayed. Coincidentally, the High Speed Rail project is expereicing the same problem, elevated bridge sinking in Yunlin which will delay the completion time of HSR as well.

No, the highway still ends in Jiuru. We were down in kenting last month. You can see the highway from the coast road, but it is not open yet. Can’t wait.

Michael

[quote=“vincewy”]
Mr He, has the southern end extended to Kending? Last year when I was there, it stopped at Jiuru/Ligang, where my dad’s relatives live, their farms are right next to the freeway.[/quote]

I think that it was what they told us, when we stopped at a rest area down south. We actually took freeway 1 all the way, as that’s the one which passes by Yangmei. :blush: But even that old crumme freeway is still amazingly fast when the traffic is not too heavy.

As a matter of fact, there is a connecting road of sorts between freeway 1 and freeway 3 south of Zhongli. It’s called route 66. Annoyingly, it stops roughly 200 meter before freeway 3.

[quote=“Boss Hogg”]Is it open up to your place yet Mr he?
If so I’ll pop on up for a visit[/quote]

Passes straight by the mountain. Just give me a call, so I can tell the guards to let you in. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Vorkosigan”]Yes, there is a VERY short break between Changhua and Taichung (Taizhong). Otherwise, it is complete down to Pingtung, and a gorgeous ride through hills the whole way, except across southern Taichung (Taizhong). The stretch between Pingtung and Yunlin is wonderful. And there are never any cars on it, and the rest stops are godlike – the one in Dongshan has a 7-11 and a Starbucks and a french bakery (selling the usual stuff, sadly).

The Chungchang – the connecting highway between Changhua and Taichung (Taizhong) – connects to Highway 3. Get off Highway 1 at Daya, Chung-ching Rd, head to Taichung (Taizhong), and turn right immediately at the first light. That road, 74, is the Chungchang.

3 is slightly longer – by my estimate, about 20 minutes – but the traffic jams around Kilometer 211 of Highway 1 make it worthwhile. And the pavement is wonderful.

Michael[/quote]

Speaking of rest stops, my favorite one now is Dong Shan, varieties of shops plus a food court of all types. My second fav is Guan Miao in Tainan, from what I heard, once the freeway is opened all the way to Linbian, this will be a major rest stop, you can tell from the size of buildings.

I personally don’t like Guan Xi rest stop, it’s pretty much monopolized by Xin Dong Yang and the super markets doesn’t even sell a few necessities for travelling.

[quote=“Mr He”]Is is open all the way?

Do anybody here know when freeway 5 to Pinglin will open? (And when it will open to Ilan (Yilan)?)[/quote]

It’s scheduled to open 2005, I personally don’t like Ilan to be easily accessible, it’s one of few places in Taiwan that hasn’t been tampered with too much constructions,

A bit of freeway just to pinglin would make it much easier to get there.

Holger

Just got back from south, the freeway #3 is now opened

1. South section from Kuaiguan in Taizhong all the way to Jiuru/Ligang (my home town is the farm land next to the exit)

freeway.gov.tw/content/03_02_10.htm

1. North section from Wanli/Keelung to Longtan in Taizhong.

freeway.gov.tw/content/03_02_09.htm

The only parts missing are the sections in Taizhong and Jiuru to Linbian, these should be done by next year,

freeway.gov.tw/content/03_02_08.htm

until #3 is opened all the way to the south, driving through Taizhong is the biggest hassle, this city is the prime example of poor city planning with no insfrastructure in place when it expands, traffic jams worsen by drivers not following traffic rules and without courtesy.

If anyone has driving through #3 in the south, has anyone noticed a giant buddhist statue 彌勒 ? It really caught my interest and I’ve dug up some info about the temple

design.view.org.tw/stu367/favorit.htm (you can get more infor about this area)

This is now the landmark of Douliu, Yunlin. In addition to the giant statue, the whole area consists of many other statues and temples. I got a clear shot of the statue when we were travelling north bound, anyone interested send me a PM with your email.

THere is still a gap around Taichung. You should be able to get around it, though at the north end of the gap I am not totally clear. You should be able to get onto the Taichung-Changhua Expressway