French Occupation Novella- title?

I’ve just read ‘Suite Francaise’ by Irene Nemirovsky and there are definite parallels to a short novella I read for French at school. I’d like to get hold of it if possible, but I’ve forgotten what it was called.

The writer used a pen name beginning with ‘V’ and it was about a young girl and her father who were forced to accomodate a German soldier.

Krap. Remembered the second I pressed ‘Submit’, it is called ‘Le Silence de la Mer’, and googled the author.

Nothing to see here. Move along, please.

[quote=“Buttercup”]I’ve just read ‘Suite Francaise’ by Irene Nemirovsky and there are definite parallels to a short novella I read for French at school. I’d like to get hold of it if possible, but I’ve forgotten what it was called.

The writer used a pen name beginning with ‘V’ and it was about a young girl and her father who were forced to accomodate a German soldier.[/quote]

Would you feel like to tell us more about “Suite Francaise?”

I have read some good comments about it but still I am a little bit lost. :blush:

What do you want to know?

I usually do research about the books or movies that I am going to read or to see.
Before I went to see Pan’s Labyrinth, I had to read references about Spanish Civil War.
But sometimes I found it spoils the fun of enjoyment.

The historical context of SUITE FRANÇAISE is set in German-occupied France.
I know the warfare but seldom read something about this period in social/cultural perspective.

Should I still read some refereces about the time period before I get to read the book?

Sure, if you are interested in Vichy France.