Fridge wrecker or plastic repair

Plus working with fiberglass isn’t fun and requires many safety precautions. I spent a summer in my youth making competition speed boats. The only thing fun about it was the finishing work. Constructing the hull sucked.

Truthfully I would not want to do it for less than 1000nt an hour. If you are making large pieces using those guns that chops fibers up and makes mat is a lot quicker, but it’s extremely messy, must wear protective suit which sucks even more in this heat.

I think fiberglass boats are built outside in. You start with a fiberglass mold, then spray on a coat of gelcoat, then let it sorta set, then you get those fiber chopping guns and spray the entire mold with thick mats of fiberglass. Then you have another mold that would be squeezing the fiberglass between the molds. When the epoxy cures you have a fiberglass hull.

Yeah, layer after layer with nonstop meticulous rolling to get out imperfections. That and sandblasting were the two worst jobs I’ve ever done.

Not that its better h an metal, but fiberglass wouldnt be done layered in this ki.d of situation. More like molding work. The only layer i would bother spending.time on would be the gel coat to be smooth.

But i dotjink as @Taiwan_Luthiers says, stainless top would be ideal. If the top is curved or what have you, and you worry about the top bein too thin (legitimate worry) use a wood frame underneath. Doeant need to be fancy. Use any cheap wood and sand it smooth, put a finish on it and seal the stainless on top. I would only suggest bending the edges of the stainless under. They cut the metal a cm or so larger on each side, cut and round the corners like an envelope and bend them under to give a nice rounded smooth edge that wont cut people.

The other consideration is the costs might mount, may be worth nust buying a second hand fridge for theblandlord and you have the old broken one to use in your next place.

Fiberglass is also very hard to deal with if you don’t already have a mold or a substrate. I’m going to assume the fridge’s current substrate is not adequate otherwise the OP wouldn’t be posting. So a substrate still has to be made somehow. Composite is great stuff but they require molds or something to lay onto. Fiberglass is actually on the easy side because fiberglass will lay against the substrate so you can do this by hand. If you want hard try Kevlar and carbon fiber. Kevlar in fact is very difficult to cut (it does stop bullets so it resists any and all effort to cut it) requiring special coated shears. Carbon fiber is extremely stiff, so stiff that if you just goop epoxy onto it and try to lay it against a curved surface, it wants to bounce right out and unwrap. You literally can’t do any of those by hand, but instead must be molded onto a surface then forced down with vacuum bags. This is also considering how expensive carbon fiber is (2000nt a yard), and how hard it is to work with makes it expensive.

But if you have the proper molds and all that to do carbon fiber, they look really good.