Friends THEN Romance or Romance THEN Friends

Friends First-Does it Always Work

• I’ve always started out as friends with my current and exes
  • I’ve always started out as a romantic/sexual relationship with my current and exes

0 voters

Not asking for advice, but just curious as I’ve read some posts about Taiwanese people tend to start off as friends first, then move on to dating.

So you, personally, which relationship-change has worked for you?

Friends first, romance comes naturally?

Or romance first, and try being friends? The romance can be one-sided, if you need clarification. :slight_smile:

I know what the obvious answer is, but to each their own, so I’m curious about everyone else’s take on this.

Friends first. I can’t date based on looks (even with as yummy as my honey is) so I have to get to know them first.

Friends first seems to have worked best for me in relationships that have lasted any length of time.

We were attached at the forearm since birth.

For me it’s there from the start or not there at all. But I’m friends with my exes.

Friends first. I am not an attractive person. Personality is all I’ve got.

I like the honest reply. maybe a little too honest, but I guess it’s good to know your strong points.

I think there can be both. Sometimes you are friends first, and then you are attracted over time. Sometimes you just want to jump him at first sight. Sometimes you are friends first and then you find him attractive and then you want to jump him. Sometimes you want to jump him at first sight but then he opens his mouth and you fall asleep.

Just depends on the man and your attraction. :wink:

Friends first, but I was in love from at first sight. :blush:

But she didn’t play fair. She smiled at me and said “Hi.”.

friends first, if you want to waste a ton of time with a bunch of girls who you may never know are interested in you or not. especially if you don’t really want to be friends from the get go.

oh JD, you’re so easy.

ALWAYS is a bit strong, so my reply is based on a subjective most of the time/most important relationships, which have started out as flirting/romantic/sexual, and then moved on to be deeper and more meaningful over time.

This is a potentially interesting poll without meaningful choices.

This poll seems to imply that every person uses a cookie cutter approach to romance. I’m sure you know about the birds and the bees, but it doesn’t always start the same way and end the same way.

Secondly, I’m not sure about “Romance THEN Friends”. I can see two meanings: it means you are romantically involved first but you break up and are just friends, or it implies that friendship emerges from all romances (not an ONS).

:s

For me, it’s a mixed bag. Sometimes it started as a friendship, sometimes as a romance. Sometimes it ended as a friendship, but sometimes we didn’t end up as friends, even when it began as a romance. I can say that for the most part it starts as a friendship for me that then becomes a romance, but when it doesn’t work out, it usually ends as a friendship. Isn’t that “Friends THEN Romance THEN Friends”?

I could talk about a relationship that was “Romance THEN Friends THEN Romance THEN Friends THEN Romance THEN Enemies”!

I am completely incapable of understanding how you can date someone who you aren’t friends with. How do you know they aren’t psychos?

Look, 914, what can I say?

I’m flattered that you will go to such lengths, concoct such cunning ways of finding out, but why don’t you just ask me directly instead of trying to trick me into answering your ‘poll’?

Just ask me if if I think we will ever be more than friends and be done with. :unamused:

Silly. :rainbow:

Dunno 'bout that. I met a girl during my junior year of undergrad. That night, we went to the cemetary and had sex and then slept among the graves. We ended up living together my senior year and were quite attached to each other. Had I not come to Taiwan, I very well might have married her. She was a great girl. Long black hair, skinny, slinky, wicked smart, sang in a band that eventually put a few CDs out on Relix records (a Grateful Dead label), she was living on a diet of speed and Pepsi when we met. Anyway, for us it was lust first, romance and friendship later.

However, with my wife, it was friendship first… although I knew at first look that I wanted to jump all over her.

I think that relationships happen however they do.

I don’t fall in love from the first sight, but I also don’t make friends from the first sight. Both take time. You can’t be friends with someone BEFORE you get to know the person. And by the time I get to know him, I know pretty sure if I want us to be friends or lovers. Simple.

Ain’t it da truth.

:blush:

I’m glad I didn’t have to say much, because it would have sounded like, “Flabluuplablublahla.”

A smile for me is everything. :slight_smile:

[quote=“jdsmith”]I’m glad I didn’t have to say much, because it would have sounded like, “Flabluuplablublahla.”

A smile for me is everything. :slight_smile:[/quote]

[quote=“David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Paul Kantner in Wooden Ships”]
If you smile at me
I will understand
'Cause that is something
Everybody everywhere does in the same language
[/quote]

I don’t fall in love from the first sight, but I also don’t make friends from the first sight. Both take time. You can’t be friends with someone BEFORE you get to know the person. And by the time I get to know him, I know pretty sure if I want us to be friends or lovers. Simple.[/quote]

Well said. :bravo:
I was more referring to what my friends do (and I don’t get) about dating someone they just met. I know a lot of people do it, But i guess I can’t have a purely physical attraction. Somethin wrong with my head.

Something wrong? Well, not technically… You are female… :wink: