Friends THEN Romance or Romance THEN Friends

I kind of second Fob. I don’t trust anyone to lay naked with them without knowing them VERY well.

Frankly, I don’t know how a lot of you peeps do it. All the risks make my head swim. Not to mention, it’s a lot less creepy when you wake up and I’m staring at you if we’ve known each other for quite some time and you know my foibles.

Right?

[quote=“pissedpookie”]I kind of second Fob. I don’t trust anyone to lay naked with them without knowing them VERY well.

Frankly, I don’t know how a lot of you peeps do it. All the risks make my head swim. Not to mention, it’s a lot less creepy when you wake up and I’m staring at you if we’ve known each other for quite some time and you know my foibles.

Right?[/quote]

You can be romantically involved without laying naked with them. For example, I don’t walk around holding hands with people I consider JUST friends. And for me being friends isn’t about NOT having sex - it’s about having (innocent) fun with the person without being interested in a romantic relationship.

You people only think about sex! :wink:

People have different sex drives.

Whatever works for you.

Something wrong? Well, not technically… You are female… :wink:[/quote]

Doesn’t that count as something wrong? :wink:

Well, I didn’t want to just come right out and say that… :slight_smile:

You put your left leg in,
Your right arm out
In out
In out
And shake it all about

I can see a romance blossoming without going through friendship first-- easiest thing in the world. But I think it’s quite another thing for that romance to go to a serious relationship and then end up in friendship safe and sound.

On the other hand, I think it’s much easier for people who are just friends to find themselves attracted to each other (or acknowledging a long-standing attraction neither has acted on) and having a healthy romantic relationship begin.

:bravo: you are pro.

Define what you mean by friends, spending some time with her before jump on the gun wasn’t the situation that I was thinking of. I was close with a girl for a year, I didn’t have that kind feeling initially, then eventually I did, then I spend another year to try to convince her, learn everything about her, just trying to be caring, blah blah end up not so great, took me another year to recover. Are we stilll friends now? More or less, she is greatful of what I did, but I don’t think I really want to be as close to her as we once did, even as friends. Sounds like a fantastic story in the end, so lesson learned, I will learn the people before I jump on the gun of course, but I won’t do this friend turn into lover business anymore unless she thinks the same way, it’s hard to change their opinions once it’s been fixed, much easier to just go in from the beginning.

I’m rather old school when it comes to this subject.

When I was 26 or so, a woman I knew told me that i should wait 6 months before sleeping with a guy. I scoffed so hard at that notion.

Now, given that I’ve gotten older and just sat back and watched things go by and gotten to know myself better, I think she’s right. I think people should get to know each other before romance. Or hell have romance, but no sex. There seems to be a lack of pursuing today. It seems as if there’s the “i like you you like me well let’s fuck” attitude. Sorry if that’s blunt, but that’s how I’m calling it.

I think that people should be friends. Think of it as test driving a car. You get to know the specs, and all those details before the ‘test drive’. If it seems to work, then go for the romance.

How can you test drive a partner without sex???