Friends with exes

Hi

How do you guys feel about this? I’ve always had a really good relationship with my exes…Sure, some that really screwed me over left my life for a year or so, but came back in odd ways and are basically my real good (online advice) friends now!

Especially my last relationship…it didn’t work out, but I can’t see it as a failed relationship…it just wasn’t long. The things I learnt and things she taught me about myself are just incredible. And the fact that it’s over doesn’t make me feel sad…the fact that we have such a cool bond still makes me smile. It’s really nice to get advice from people that knew you at your worst/best.

I don’t want to be with any of my exes again…but I really really enjoy having them in my life. Is it odd…and is it threatening for any new interests?

And any horror stories about exes?

I’m back to being good mates with my third last ex (as though we’d never dated). in fact the last time I was visiting a potential suitor came over, and she asked what I thought of him. She’s cool as a friend, wouldn’t want to date her again.

Second last - no communication whatsoever.

Most recent - y’all know there’s no need to be friends with her…

I’m trying to track down my high school sweetheart and my Israeli ex, to catch up on news - they were wonderful lasses.

Not odd. Many of my closest friends are exes. A romantic relationship – for one reason or another – either didn’t work, or didn’t work well enough, but we wanted to remain close. The heightened degree of intimacy is a positive.

All accept for my husband, I’ve always been able to be friends when it was over.

I have an ex I was with for 5 years before I met my husband. My ex and I remained friends and he met my husband after we were married. They hit it off so well that every time we go back home, my husband insists I call him so that we can all meet up for drinks! We were always in touch until two years ago, soon after he got married. His wife is the jealous type and doesn’t like us communicating, despite the fact that we have been friends for twice as long as the amount of time we dated! He still wanted to keep in contact even though she wasn’t happy about it, but I decided to cut contact out of respect for her. It is actually really hard because he and I have always remained close, but I don’t want to cause any domestic problems.

Nope, they are exes for a reason, unless it is a good break up (but then again, when is a break-up a GOOD break -up??) I understand people want to be a bigger person and be friends w/ their exes but I do’nt see a point or a need for it. I have lots of friends and I don’t need my ex as my friend. I CAN be friends w/ them after my healing period but def. not right away though.

Don’t force yourself into being friends w/ them. Take your time to heal or see why you truely want them in your life. Most of the time you can find that comfort or features through your friends.

Am still kind of in touch with my first ex, but we’re not friends, we don’t have enough in common (which is why I broke up with him in the first place). Second ex was a bad breakup, I’m sometimes curious where he is and how he’s doing, but not remotely enough to actually try and find out.
Once had a one night stand with a guy who told me the next morning that ‘actually’ he had a girlfriend. Strange enough we became rather good friends when we ran into each other again a few years after that.

[quote=“Battery9”]
I don’t want to be with any of my exes again…but I really really enjoy having them in my life. Is it odd…and is it threatening for any new interests?[/quote]
The part that I emphasized is potentially odd imo. It’s one thing to have exes as acquaintances, but depending on how much they’re “in your life” that might be an issue for a new interest.

My ex-girlfriend (married to somebody else now) came to Taiwan recently (in a group), and visited me. My wife insisted on taking them to dinner, showing them around the city, etc. I was nervous, but they really hit it off. In retrospect, it makes sense–after all, they’re a lot alike, despite being from two different countries/cultures and all. Each seems to approve of my taste! No threesome, unfortunately.

OK, maybe I overdid it a bit… I don’t really really REALLy enjoy it…but its nice.

I’ve been in Taiwan for 7 years, and the only people from home that kept in contact (on a regular basis) are exes.The rest have all basically let go… I don’t have anyone physically in Taiwan with me…I just chat with them online and value their opinion (about myself mostly) because they know me the best(even better than my friends) because they spent the most time with me. Had to deal with me first thing in the morning etc…

Like when I’m angry at someone and I explain the situation, they can tell me how I am and bring it into perspective a bit. I find that friends mostly just agree and stick up for me, where exes sometimes are really really honest and say ‘yeah but you can really be an overemotional #(*&9 sometimes’

know what I mean?

I found my Israeli ex on Facebook. Sweet! She’s doing well for herself - has traveled a lot, studied a couple of degrees, lives with boyfriend in Tel Aviv.

I wish I was like this with my last two ex-es. Can’t even talk to them.

wowowowoow crazy crazy!!!

Exes are Exes for reasons so I am never friends with them, why do I need them as my friends, I have a lot of friends…

I’m good friends with quite a few of my ex’s. I can understand wanting to get rid of them and I can say I’ve done that with others as well.

I think a lot of it has to do with how much I realize we just grew apart over time. I still wish the best for both of them, but I’m a libra. And I’m odd because I talk to dolls on stage, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

well…my love for the ex was a bit too strong…causing my most recent relationship to fail. Maybe I was trying to fill the void…find happiness again. Luckily I was very honest about my feelings for the ex from day one…still feel like a jerk.

never ever ever want to do that again! I feel much happier sitting here alone and missing my ex…than when I was with someone new that treated me SOOOOOOO well.

[quote=“Battery9”]well…my love for the ex was a bit too strong…causing my most recent relationship to fail. Maybe I was trying to fill the void…find happiness again. Luckily I was very honest about my feelings for the ex from day one…still feel like a jerk.

never ever ever want to do that again! I feel much happier sitting here alone and missing my ex…than when I was with someone new that treated me SOOOOOOO well.[/quote]Weirdo. :wink:

It depends:

A few exes really want to be friends, a few don’t contact me. Except for 1 or 2, I wouldn’t mind being friends. If it’s online, even easier.