From "aw-fen" to "off-ten". Is English changing before my ears?

Is this a recent change? Or do you have an official radio pronunciation.
I grew up in America listening to the CBC Northern shortwave service which played great shows such as Don Heron’s Morningside, Royal Canadian air Farce and Quirks and Quarks.
Anyway it’s adress was burned into my brain: Station A Toronto, M5W 1E6.
They’ve always emphasized the second T and I think most of their programming also emphasized the second t. But I was listening from 1976 to 1981.

Being a Canadian and also from the ToronTo region I have always made a point of pronouncing both ts.

Language changes that irk me:
“To” has become “te”
“Going to” has become “gonna” or “gunna”
“For” has become “fir”
A recent change: many Canadians are saying (or writing) “y’all”.

1 Like

I need proof

Haha. It’s all over hockey twitter. Just do a twitter search for “y’all Canucks” or “y’all hockey”. You should get lots of hits.

1 Like

What about oftentimes?

Wait a minute!!!
That’s the biggest example of cultural appropriation that I’ve ever seen. I don’t believe in the concept but you Canadians are too creative to borrow a phrase that’s so obviously Texan.

1 Like

You’re not thinking 21st centurily enough. :upside_down_face:

Only time I’ve heard fellow canucks use “you-all” is to refer to our southern cousins: “A bunch of you-alls came up for the July long weekend”.

Being a Canadian and also from the ToronTo region I have always made a point of pronouncing both ts.

Canadians from the ROC (Rest Of Canada) sometimes use “Terawna” as a sarcastic reference to Toronto’s view of itself as the Little Apple.

Language changes that irk me:
“To” has become “te”
“Going to” has become “gonna” or “gunna”
“For” has become “fir”

Language change or accent? The pronunciations of both “te” and “fir” have been around for so long they’re used to show a character is an old-fashioned backwoods type. Fir sure.

As for “gonna”:

Spoken ‘gonna’ (and ‘wanna’) is perfectly acceptable in American Standard speech. As has been pointed out, in the future tense it is always distinguished from the present participle of the verb go .
In reply to “Where are you going?” you never say “I’m gonna the beach”; the other person would say “You’re gonna do what at the beach?”

I agree that te and fir may be considered an accent variant (although it does cause me to twitch inside just a little).

If you go on twitter and do a search for “y’all Canucks” you will see many examples of Canadians using “y’all”. Perhaps it’s a twitter thing but it’s used a lot.

After learning Chinese and getting used to Chinese romanizations, I’m tempted to pronounce it Yon-ge

1 Like

I pronounce “often” “offen” I may just be an illiterate sociopath, though.

2 Likes

You’re not illiterate. “Offen” is how I say it, too.
The one that gets me is “I’mma” for “I’m going to”.
I recently heard a Taiwanese girl use this. I think she’d spent a year in Australia, and a year (same year?) listening to an Ariana Grande song.

Awffen, like cawffee

In that case, it should be Yong-e.

1 Like

Isn’t that a Noo Yawk thing?

1 Like

Think I would like Sinny more

You know what I’m finding now in the Bay Area?

Is that people are beginning to say

AXE me instead of Ask me

And. AXED him instead of ASKED him

Really gets my goat

1 Like

Off-ten for me.

1 Like

I say off Ten

That’s cause bay area people are more evolved. That’s how they say it in the future.

Don’t believe me? There’s proof in a clip of a documentary posted below.

4 Likes