From Hsinchu to Taipei Every Day?

Hey guys, I’m planning to come to Taiwan this August to study in Hsinchu and looking for an advice about better place to live in. I’d like to rent a flat together with my friend who is going to study in Taipei. So, I’m jusy curious how long-and-much it would be to travel everyday from Hsinchu to Taipei (and vice versa)? Do you think it’s reasonable to rent a flat somewhere between Hsinchu and Taipei? :eh:

Any advice is very appreciated! :wink:

It’s not a good plan. Even by car it is an hour between the two and that is with no traffic problems. If you study in Hsinchu, live there. Anything else will drive you crazy.

I know of someone who does it by HSR and seems to manage. If you can schedule your classes so that you do not have to do it everyday, it could be done. You’ll get tired of it really quickly, though…Btw, housing and cost of living can be way cheaper in Hsinchu than in Taipei, if that is a consideration to you at all.

That commute would get old real fast.

And between Xinzhu and Taipei is Taoyuan. You don’t want to live in that city. (Ugly, ugly, ugly.) Although there areas some nice areas of Taoyuan County, they’re not particularly workable for newbies, esp. people who would need to commute regularly (presumably using public transportation).

My advice: live in Xinzhu, crash with your friend in Taipei on the weekends.

Sorry for hijacking the thread: What about living in Neihu (near MRT Gangqian) and working in Zhonghe (3km from MRT Jingan). Manageable?

That sounds painful. :s

very appreciate your help guys!!

My guess is that it would take about an hour to get to work by MRT. Even with a scooter, it would take about 45 minutes. Manageable, but you might get sick of it after a while.

if you’re studying at one of the main campuses in hsinchu (NCTU or NTHU), you’re about 20 minutes from the HSR station, which is Zhubei…likely worse during rush hour. If you take the bus you’ll have to deal with freeway traffic, but at least you can sleep/read/beat it during the commute.

Hi Guys,
what do you think about living in Zhongli?

Hsinchu <----> Zhongli <----> Taipei

I’ve checked the prices for apartments in Zhongli and they are cheaper than in both Hsinchu and Taipei.
What I am interested in is price for train/bus for
Hsinchu <----> Zhongli
and
Zhongli <----> Taipei

I think we can manage 40 mins of the commute time, but I have check the expenses. I know there is EasyCard available in Taiwan that gives some discounts, but is there anything like month/year train pass (the longer is time, the less you pay)?

thanks a lot

HsinChu <> Taipei (by bus) - One Way - @ NT110 and will take 1 and a half hours (sometimes more). That’s about NT4500 a month and 20% time lost.
HsinChu <> Taipei (by HSR) - One Way - @ NT249 and will take 30 minutes. That’s about NT8500 (periodic card) and 6% time lost.
The problem (mostly) is not travelling between HsinChu and Taipei. It’s travelling to and from the bus stop or train station.
Getting a scooter is each city would be your best choice to and from the stops.

It’s a choice between saving money or saving time. Your choice.
Alternatively, living in HsinChu isn’t as bad as you think.

rent a taofang (small studio) in Xinzhu near your studies and stay there Monday thru Thursday night (probably be the same costs as your commute).

HSR on Monday morning and Friday afternoon.

This is the ideal plan.

Are you in a long-term romantic relationship with your friend? If not, I have a hard time believing that sort of daily commute would be worth it. :2cents:

:unamused: yes, I’m. that’s why I’m looking for the most reasonable solution for us.

:unamused: yes, I’m. that’s why I’m looking for the most reasonable solution for us.[/quote]
:unamused: That was hardly clear from your statement of “I’d like to rent a flat together with my friend who is going to study in Taipei.”

So either one of you has a miserable commute or both of you do – not exactly ideal for a relationship. I advise doing some more looking into having the study location and workplace be in the same city.

Perhaps this thread will prove useful:

[quote=“mrt”]Hi Guys,
what do you think about living in Zhongli?

Xinzhu <----> Zhongli <----> Taipei

I’ve checked the prices for apartments in Zhongli and they are cheaper than in both Xinzhu and Taipei.
What I am interested in is price for train/bus for
Xinzhu <----> Zhongli
and
Zhongli <----> Taipei

I think we can manage 40 mins of the commute time, but I have check the expenses. I know there is EasyCard available in Taiwan that gives some discounts, but is there anything like month/year train pass (the longer is time, the less you pay)?

thanks a lot[/quote]

There is a reason why they are cheaper. Let’s just say it’s even more industrial landscape there. Definetively not reccommended. One more time: there will be typhoons and other happenings. Your supposedly 40 minutes can become a 3 hour nightmare… So either commute wil have risks.

The Easy card is used mainly in buses and metro of Taipei City and its outskirts. It has limited use on local trains up to a certain point. Discounts are limited.

I second Deuce’s suggestion.

There’s always the juguang train which will stop at the main stations like Zhongli and Xinzhu regular train station. There are lots of options available like Panchiao, Shulin, Yingge etc. Renting a Taofang and doing a commute up and down on certain days might be an idea too as other posters have suggested.

:unamused: yes, I’m. that’s why I’m looking for the most reasonable solution for us.[/quote]
:unamused: That was hardly clear from your statement of “I’d like to rent a flat together with my friend who is going to study in Taipei.”

So either one of you has a miserable commute or both of you do – not exactly ideal for a relationship. I advise doing some more looking into having the study location and workplace be in the same city.[/quote]

Better advice, even. If MRT has been accepted into a university in Xinchu it would be more difficult, though, but if it is just Chinese courses, they all use the same books/method, so any place is as good as any.

Taipei is also very big. Do you have any idea whereabouts? If it is not that far from a train station with a Taoyuan/Xinchu connection, it could help. As headhoncho says, there are frequent trains.

What we all agree is that the situation as presented is a bit problematic and definetively daily communiting such a long distance will put a strain on personal relationships, not to say health, finances, etc…

My landlord works in Taipei. He has an apartment there, and on the weekends, he comes home to Hsinchu to work around the apartment complex and help out tenants. He will occasionally come home on weekdays and go back to Taipei the same night.

In my opinion, both of you commuting very far would not be reasonable. However, ONE of you going away for the week and coming home on the weekend would be quite feasible. The two cities are close enough that for special occasions, one of you could go to the other’s city for the night.

I’ve thought about this, too. My husband would have more school opportunities in Taipei, but that commute would make him crazy. Not worth it. Not to mention, you’d almost HAVE to do HSR, which would end up costing a pretty fair chunk of change.