From Taiwan to China as an American

Are direct flights for tourists from Taipei to the mainland still unavailable? It seems like Hong Kong has been the most popular transition into China - is this still so?

Also, I assume Americans need a visa to enter China. Can one be obtained in Taipei? If so, where? If not, where’s the closest place to receive one? Or is it possible to be granted one upon landing in Shanghai or Beijing?

Thanks!
N8

That’s a good one, you made my day! :laughing:

I don’t know if this guy is just trolling for comments or he really is an American.

[quote=“cyberN8”]Are direct flights for tourists from Taipei to the mainland still unavailable? It seems like Hong Kong has been the most popular transition into China - is this still so?

Also, I assume Americans need a visa to enter China. Can one be obtained in Taipei? If so, where? If not, where’s the closest place to receive one? Or is it possible to be granted one upon landing in Shanghai or Beijing?

Thanks!
N8[/quote]

Yeah… thanks for your “help” guys.

I’m serious. I don’t think a trip to the mainland is so bizarre. My questions are:

1. What’s the best route to fly to Shanghai from Taipei (as a tourist)?
  2. Is a visa necessary for an American?
  3. If (2) is so, what’s the fastest/best method to obtain a visa?

My guess is that one would need to land in Hong Kong and obtain a visa there before flying to Shanghai or Beijing. It seems plausible to me that a visa could be obtained here in Taipei, though.

Thanks…

In case it’s no troll, some pearls from my extensive experience with Taipei - Shanghai flights:

No direct flights yet. I used to prefer Air Macao connections through Macao over the different Hong Kong connections. The airline is nicer than most of the Chinese airlines that take you to Shanghai, the airport is smaller and it all seemed to go a bit faster. However, last week, I had a connection with Philippine Airlines via Manila because the ticket was about 4000 NT cheaper than an Air Macao ticket (but don’t expect computerized flight information and transfer service in Manila or good food). And, surprise, surprise, the plane was packed with people who wanted to go to Shanghai, even though it took about 6.5 hours to get to Shanghai this way. How much would be on a direct flight? Something like 1.5 to 2 hours?

I think everybody needs a visa. I (German) had my visa organized through my travel agent here in Taipei (costs: 2000 NT, took five days). Or you do a stopover in Hong Kong and get your visa there. I paid 720 HKD for an express (same day) doubly entry tourist visa last time.

Unfortunately, all the flights coming in to Shanghai now land at Pudong Airport. This is especially annoying as the place I usually stay at is about 10 minute drive from Hongqiao Airport whereas it takes about an hour from Pudong. And traffic in Shanghai is becoming worse by the week, so the less you have to go through town the better.

HTH
Iris

[quote=“cyberN8”]Yeah… thanks for your “help” guys.

1. What’s the best route to fly to Shanghai from Taipei (as a tourist)?
  2. Is a visa necessary for an American?
  3. If (2) is so, what’s the fastest/best method to obtain a visa?

[/quote]

Ok, I guess you are serious.

[1] As a tourist or non tourist , it is pretty much the same. FAT had a flight that was pretty go that switched on some island and it was quicker than going to HK. I think 5 hours in total. Otherwise, HK is good. But I would also check Air Macau for specials.

[2] Yes, a visa is necessary.

[3] You can get a visa in Taiwan, but all they do is send it to HK. If you go to HK, you can spend a day or three to get a visa depending on how much you want to pay.

For what it is worth, I have always gotten my visa’a in HK

Anyone know if it’s possible to get a visa quickly (within an hour or two) at the Hong Kong airport? If not, where in HK? Lippo Center?

I don’t think Visas are possible at the airport, you do have to go to the Chinese Visa Office.

I am not positive on this address, but I am pretty sure it is correct…

Minestry of Foreign Affairs of the PRC
Visa office, 5th floor, lower block, 26 harbour road, Wan Chai

m-f 9-12 and 2-5

I have done one day visas, go at 9 pay the extra fee and pick it up around 3… but that was 5 years ago so I am not sure if it is still possible.

Sorry for the poor typing skills above… anyway :frowning:

Good luck