From the East to the West within the eye of an Eurasian

Hi Folks,

I am happy to have found this site. Here is a little introductory about me. I am new to this community, joined up since August 2010. As half Taiwanese and spent majority of my elementary years in Kaohsiung Taiwan. I had a keen interest in ancient Chinese history and profound love for its culture.

I originated from Norway, born in a small town outside of Hordaland, Norway and lived there until I was 3. My dad, who at the time worked for The American Institute in Taiwan immigrated my family to Taipei for the duration of his services with AIT. When my father decided to change professions and obtained a job in southern part of Taiwan, he then migrated us 4 hours south to a major city called Kaohsiung. We spent a good number of years there before he was transferred to United States and I have remained here ever since.

When I lived in Taiwan, I continue to obtain a Norwegian citizenship even though I had became more Chinese than Norwegian. My family never applied for citizenship for a number of reason, perhaps one of them was we were not sure how long we would stay here. It wasn’t until we moved to United States I realized how different I was to my fellow Taiwanese. Because I had fair skin and blondish hair, I always stood out no matter where I went and after moving here to The United States, I felt I didn’t stick out like a sore thumb! Upon spent a good amount of years here that I decided to become a citizen of the United States as it has many advantages of having a U.S. Citizenship; especially when you travel outside of the U.S.!

Even though Taiwan was the first culture that I learned and grew up with, it was still a slight challenge. I was always viewed as a Westerner and had many nicknames. I did not really felt a sense of belonging while I was living in Taiwan even though it was the only culture that I knew. Perhaps it was largely due to the Norwegian half of me; fair skin complexion, and platinum white hair that made the Han Chinese to classify me as a foreigner. The question of what makes one “Chinese.” Or in my sense; “what made one Taiwanese” had little to do with my ability to speak, read, and write. To me, it had everything to do with your physical appearance. If you looked foreign even though you do not sound foreign, you were foreign. Considering I also grew up in part of Taiwan where Foreigners were a rarity and even though my friends and classmates that knew I was half and half, I was still a non-Taiwanese because of my Norwegian heritage. It was during my elementary years that I began to realize you had to be 100% Taiwanese in order for you to be Taiwanese.

Having spent a better part of my youth in Taiwan, a sudden move to United States was a cultural shock. Though my physical apperance had blended in more with the Western World, I was entirely clueless to the new environment that I had not previously encountered. Thankfully I was young enough to have been able to get accustomed to and learned the new culture. While I felt the need to fit in with peers, but this may go against my culture, therefore creating a conflict with my families. It wasn’t until after a few years of living in United States that I began to feel a sense of belonging. When I first moved to New York, I was treated as a foreigner (which I was), and took a few additional years before I felt I belong.

Do we have any Eurasians in here? I am curious to seek your experience as a Eurasian living in both Eastern and Western Culture. Do you ever felt a sense of belonging, where do you fit in most, and how tough was it for you to live in (Asia, Europe, North America) and most importantly, did you ever feel lost?

Hi,
I am half white and half Taiwanese. Grew up on Taiwan. Never had TW citizenship. I love Taiwan and the fact is that eurasians could be part taiwanese and part white. Best way to describe my feelings is that I feel I am a LIger , part Lion and part Tiger. When im with lions they see the tiger in me, and when im with tigers the see the lion in me. So you will always feel a bit foreign to one or the other.

Dont let that bother you. Instead, embrace it. We have a unique understanding of both cultures and in that sense are priviledged.

Most Asians can spot that I am eurasian, while most whiteys just think im 100pct Asian ( i look asian to the average westerner but clearly half half to asians).

You on the other hand probably look white to both whites and asians.

I say, you have to identify (and you will) who you are as an individual. And , like i said, be happy to be half half.

There are more and more and more half/halfs in the world, so soon enough we will be just “ho-hum” normal.

So have fun , while it lasts.

BEsides as you age less and less people will stare at you.

Hi Kylie,

Are you in Taiwan now? We’re running low on Norwegians in our little Norwegian group. Need a refill. :slight_smile:

My daughter is half Norwegian and half Taiwanese, so I can relate to your parents having decided to give you Norwegian citizenship. A Norwegian citizenship is like a safety net with all its social benefits. I think this is the reason why many Taiwanese also try to get a secondary citizenship in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

But up until 18 you should be able to have both a Taiwanese and Norwegian passport?

Hi elburro.
No, I am currently in Princeton New Jersey. I will be in Taiwan the 2nd week of September and probably will stay in Kaohsiung at a friends house. I’ve never met another Norwegian while I was in Taiwan, and I’ve always thought I was the only one out there! How old is your daughter? I am 26 actually and the avatar is what I look like. As you can see, I look more Scandinavian than anything lol. I am new to the forum, but is there a separate Norwegian group here?

Hi Kylie,

My daughter just turned 1. :slight_smile:

There used to be hundreds of Norwegians in the 70s when there even was a Norwegian school somewhere around Taichung. Most of them were missionaries. Today there are probably less than 10 Norwegians left in Taiwan. We meet quite regularly for the national day and Christmas, but that’s about it. There are quite a few exchange students, but we rarely get in touch with them since they are here so briefly.

I know there is an elderly Norwegian who lives in Kaohsiung who I believe is called Kåre Jensen? It wouldn’t happen to be your dad? I know he has a Taiwanese wife. It’s been many years since I met him though.

There are far more of us Swedes in Taiwan if Scandinavian is good enough for you. I’ve only met one Norwegian guy in Taiwan.

No, that’s not my father, my parents retired and currently resides in Los Angeles. elburro, how old are you by the way?
It is funny though I am half Norwegian, I have almost next to non-Norwegian friends growing up. I am more Taiwanese and American than anything lol… yes, I wouldn’t mind meeting some of you when I visit Taiwan next month.

I assume most of you are English teachers in Taiwan? It has become a popular thing in that country for the white folks.

Half Taiwanese with blond hair? That’s gotta be awfully rare. Not possible in fact unless “both” parents had “blond” genes mixed in there somewhere. Did you ever look into the lineage to find the “white” ancestor? This might be a bit sensitive I suppose but since you started on the topic I assume it’s OK to ask.

Well, this couple had a blonde haired baby and they are both black. OK, it’s from The Sun but I think it’s kosha.

thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne … -baby.html

Why do you ask??

All expats feel that way. When you grow up in or many different places and live in a new place altogether, you do feel lost. It is tough to live everywhere and just as easy, we all have to make adjustments.

I mean, I’m sure being a psychologist you would realize, that these are very vague questions, of course if you are asking sth. specific, like how do people reconcile with your looks or accents, I gues you’ll get more specific answers!

From the link…

Maybe doctor Jensen dyes her hair… :whistle:

From the link…

Maybe doctor Jensen dyes her hair… :whistle:[/quote]

You’ve taken that quote a little out of context. Not that it really matters.

I do have western friends married to Taiwanese whose kids look very western. A blonde guy I know has two kids who both have blue eyes and blonde hair. I’m not so sure about the science behind your argument, do you have any links?

I’m sure you will become a star in Taiwan Kylie H Jensen, or else you will go the other way and become right f’ing bonkers.

As for me, I was born in one culture and grew up in another. I don’t mind being treated as foreign in Taiwan because it’s more comfortable being treated as foreign in what is to me a truly foreign culture than being treated as foreign in the culture I grew up in.

Can you relate to that?

[quote=“divea”]

Why do you ask??

you do feel lost. I mean, I’m sure being a psychologist you would realize, that these are very vague questions, of course if you are asking sth. specific, like how do people reconcile with your looks or accents, I gues you’ll get more specific answers![/quote]

Growing up I felt a bit lost at times. Now, no, and I wanted to get a general consent with Eurasians on how they view the world. I personally have not encountered too many Eurasians in my life (hence the question.) The question is quite vague, yet I believe if one feel like sharing their own personal experience, one would go further into detail.

Many eurasians are very white and some you cant even tell they are even half Asian.

thats why i love to pay attention (to the girls only) to see how the blend came out.

Iv seen a mom (white) with two white daughters who had just a hint of asian-ness bout them, although blond haired and blue eyed like mom. Their dad was 100pct asian.

Some blends come out pretty striking. I saw a very attractive young lady on the bart who had 100pct asian features. Body, face, you name it. IF a picture of her was taken in black and white you would assume she was 100pct asian. But if you took that picture in color you would be surprised. She had blue blue eyes, and blond blond hair and her skin was very white. Its like 100pct asian features with 100pct white girl coloring. She was rather special in that regard.

Most eurasians if you look (some you need to look carefully) you can spot some mix .

I met this lady who looked totally white and yet she told me she is half indonesian. Perhaps there was a recessive white gene in her dad as many indonesians had a white parent somewhere in the past.

And there are eurasians (like me) who look bout 90pct asian.

My hair is black (my dads was brown) and my eyes are black (my dads was brown). Although at the DMV in calif they insisted I write down brown for both, although they are really black.

My youngest daughter is blonde, and with blue eyes to boot.

My oldest daughter looks vaguely Asian, however he idenifies herself with Denmark 2005.

No 2 is a blonde Chinese.

A lot depends on where they feel most at home I guess.

[quote=“KylieHJensen”][quote=“divea”]

Why do you ask??

you do feel lost. I mean, I’m sure being a psychologist you would realize, that these are very vague questions, of course if you are asking sth. specific, like how do people reconcile with your looks or accents, I gues you’ll get more specific answers![/quote]

Growing up I felt a bit lost at times. Now, no, and I wanted to get a general consent with Eurasians on how they view the world. I personally have not encountered too many Eurasians in my life (hence the question.) The question is quite vague, yet I believe if one feel like sharing their own personal experience, one would go further into detail.[/quote]
Don’t they teach you that in psychology school?? Why do 3rd culture kids feel and act differently and all that?? I mean you have a degree in child psychology right?? And 3rd cukture kids, mixed kids, etc. should be a part of it, no?

Yep. I know a lady who’s dad was Dutch and mother Indonesian and it’s exactly the same. It’s only when she cooks you can tell she’s got something special. After she tells you, you can see the slight facial features but unless she told you, you wouldn’t notice.

[quote=“divea”]
Don’t they teach you that in psychology school?? Why do 3rd culture kids feel and act differently and all that?? I mean you have a degree in child psychology right?? And 3rd cukture kids, mixed kids, etc. should be a part of it, no?[/quote]

It’s impossible for everything to be learned at school. Individuals have to work things out for themselves. I’m sure the OP will have a valuable contribution to what is learned in schools, despite her schooling.

From the link…

Maybe doctor Jensen dyes her hair… :whistle:[/quote]

You’ve taken that quote a little out of context. Not that it really matters.

I do have western friends married to Taiwanese whose kids look very western. A blonde guy I know has two kids who both have blue eyes and blonde hair. I’m not so sure about the science behind your argument, do you have any links?[/quote]

Nope, but I know blue eyes are recessive. If an Asian mom has blue eyed kids it’s “proof” that somewhere in her history was another honky besides her husband. I think the same is roughly true for for hair color but it’s a bit more complicated. BTW, of course, I am not saying there is anything WRONG with a Chinese person having white ancestory, I am sure there is a lot more of that than people imagine what with the portugese having been here and the dutch, americans during the Vietnam war, wave upon wave of washed up English teachers spreading their inferior seed about hither and tither, etc. I imagine one day two chinese people will have a blond haired blue eyed kid and go “:eek: we’ll make a fortune in advertising!”