From the Qing Empire to the People's Republic, China's worries about separatism run deep

New opinion piece by CNN. A lot of real talk I think, not more of the same ‘China views Taiwan as a breakaway province’ bullshit.

Good article.

Despite this, the borders of the Qing dynasty have not proven completely inviolable under republican rule. Following the collapse of the empire, Mongolia broke away, achieving formal independence from China in 1921 with the support of the Soviet Union. While some fringe nationalist Chinese figures do occasionally talk about reclaiming “outer Mongolia,” Beijing has long recognized Ulaanbaatar and cultivated strong trade and diplomatic ties with its northern neighbor.

Ironically, the ROC did not recognise Mongolia until 2002. I remember when, in 1990 or 1991, Nat Geo gave away a new world map with its magazine and the ROC government took out every copy on sale in Taiwan and stamped them in English with “Mongolia is part of the Republic of China”.

1 Like

I remember reading that Mao endorsed Mongolia’s and Taiwan’s independence because they would be under the Communist Red Banner. It was only after the Kuomintang took Taiwan that the idea shifted to annexing Taiwan.

1 Like

The PRC surrendered much “traditional” territory to Burma, India, Russia, Mongolia and the Kazakhstan and other steppe nations.

Mao actually mentioned KOREA’s and Taiwan’s independence, in the name of self-determination and liberation from colonial rule.

Guy

2 Likes