From your experiences, what are some ways managers here use to hint at future dismissal?

Do other colleagues become verbally aggressive towards the soon-to-be fired employee in question?

In your experience, what are some tactics used by managers to get employees to resign or hint at future dismissal?

What tactics (emotional, psychological, etc.) are used?
How do co-workers react?
My boss stated that he is 失望.

1 Like

Your new cubicle is in the public storage room on your building’s first floor.
Aside from that, are you being made fun of in front of colleagues by the head boss at every meeting?

1 Like

No, the boss doesn’t make fun of me in front of others.

My boss has recently started making a lot less eye contact with me than before though. It’s a long story.

How much eye contact is good?
Like, when you enter the conference room and everyone greets you, he just looks into his Playboy magazine?
Confused on this, because I’ve never heard of needing more eye contact from a boss.

1 Like

can I PM you?

Why not keep this public?
This could help others who may be in the same situation.
I’ve just never felt eye contact as being some sort of standard to analyze my job standing at the firm.

1 Like

Sure

I was always told the time to worry is when your boss starts bring unusually nice.

1 Like

Base on experience:
1.She gave me impossible jobs that I always passed … :slightly_smiling_face:
2.She didn’t raise my salary and she had favorites colleague.

At the end she realized her mistakes to let me go.

1 Like

They put you at a desk with no work to do and you sit there with nothing to do.

5 Likes

Do the colleagues start becoming verbally aggressive?

That sounds great!

He/she is not a dumb boss then. Public humiliation is highly dumb unless they want to pay you a lot of money. In Taiwan personal attacks and ridicule are very risky. The good old middle finger or just calling someone a dumbass in public is a big no no.

Do they still do the chicken butt thing, where during a company dinner (weiya?) the waiter will place a plate with a whole chicken on the table so that the butt faces the employee who is going to get sacked? Or was it the head? I am a bit fuzzy on Taiwanese customs nowadays.

Kind of difficult to do with the cold cut chicken they usually serve in a Taiwanese restaurant…

Ever since he had a conversation with me in which he told me I was a homebody and do not socialize a lot with co-workers, he’s been making a lot less eye contact with me during meetings. I take it as a bad sign.

Now you can be overly friendly and he will wish he never said it. None of his business what you do in your own time, unless illegal. Sounds like an asshole.

2 Likes

Do you take it as he wants to remove me? In my view, he sent a mixed message, but more negative than positive overall.

He started the meeting by asking me “So one day you’ll just walk into my office and tell me that you’re resigning?” I didn’t answer. He then stated that the reason why he’s asking is because he’s felt that I may resign. He then asked why I’d consider resigning. I made the mistake of stating that sales are declining. He then stated that it’s a pity since you’ve worked here for quite some time and have become quite familiar with the job. He then stated I’m smart and able to pick things up really fast. He then told me that if you resign, then there’s no way you’re ever going to be able to come back. He then brought up one of my ex-colleagues who recently left and tried to come back. He said that since that ex-colleague and I have different personalities, he will use different approaches. (I took this to mean that he’ll find a way to make it hard for me to stay.) Afterwards, he then told me that I am a homebody and do not socialize a lot with my co-workers. He said that co-workers think I’m weird. He then stated that these assessments are unfair since you grew up in a very different environment. He also stated that I sometimes don’t give much consideration to my colleagues’ viewpoints. He then contradicted himself by stating that he actually has nothing to say about my job performance. If you have nothing to say about my performance, then why are you stating that I don’t always consider others’ viewpoints? This is a huge contradiction. He then stated that I’ve disappointed him. He said “我對你失望, 不是絕望.”

1 Like

I typed a summary of the entire conversation in a comment below.

Are you, by any chance, posting this here while you are supposed to do work…?

I don’t know, just work hard and stop worrying. If you get fired, find another job. If you are afraid of getting fired, you surely will get fired or taken advantage of. Managers and bosses don’t like timid people. Do a good job, make the company money, everything will be good. If you don’t like the work environment, try to find one you like better.