Frozen Berries

Since Costco isn’t allowed sell frozen berries currently is there anywhere else to buy them in Taipei?

I did find some small, and expensive, bags at PxMart, but once the Costco stuff happened they were either all bought, or taken off the shelf. I have been buying fresh blueberries and freezing them, but this isn’t a cheap option!

1 Like

Carrefour has all different types of frozen berries.

2 Likes

Yeah, but aren’t they much more expensive than those from Costco though?

I also wonder where they came from and whether they’re also being tested for hepatitis A as rigorously as Costco berries. :whistle:

2 Likes

Just turn them into jam. Hep A problem solved.

Yes they are more expensive. I would expect Taiwan to test the same way for all berries. Idk I feel that eating anything fresh runs a rush off catching something. In the us there is already e.coli in salads.

Yeah, I’m not making my smoothies with bloody jam.

It’d be interesting if they properly tested the produce sold at local wet markets too, though I suspect the results might be inconvenient. :whistle:

I was buying coriander at the one in Wanhua a few weeks back, and one of the bunches fell on the wet and filthy concrete floor, just for the seller to pick it up and place it back with the rest to keep selling. Who knows what’s living on that floor. :grimacing:

(I’m not going to make jam out of coriander either.)

1 Like

I know that some places do. When I lived in Pingtung, the local market had a lab in it. When I buy fresh stuff I give it a good washing with a tablespoon baking soda which gives it a good color and hopefully disinfects it a bit. I’ve never had a problem with fresh stuff at a market. Nornay I don’t buy frozen berries. I was unaware that Hepatitis A in berries was such a big thing.

I just use water and have never bothered with baking soda or vinegar etc. What do you mean by “gives it a good color”? Are you saying that washing with baking soda changes the color?

I’ve never had a noticeable problem with fresh stuff either. I honestly don’t mind the Costco berry contamination problem, except for the fact that it would be nice to be able to buy frozen berries again soon. I’d already eaten two of the three bags I’d bought when the issue came to light, so I’ve just ended up with three free packs of berries plus NT$1.5k cashback on top for the emotional turmoil. :sweat_smile:

I’ve noticed the change in kale. Just like ice water perks up lettuce. Don’t knock it 'till you try it.

1 Like

Serves you right for buying coriander.

1 Like

That’s what chefs use to get them green vegetables really green. Soaking them in some slightly simmering water for a minute or two, with added baking soda/baking powder, than dump them in iced water.

PS: don’t use it on red cabbage, it’ll with turn green. Dumping it in a acidic water will turn them reddish again.

As my tiny brain understands it, adding baking soda to a vegetable boil leeches the nutrients. I would think many a smoothie entusiast would consider this to be counter productive to the end game.

Isn’t there a good reason they’re not being sold? Even if you buy them at a different store, they may very well come from the same supplier.

Costco has gotten rid of all their berries to be on the safe side. Other stores with the same supplier might not.

Blanch, then shock in ice water. Spot on.

Ok. Thanks. I’ll have to look again.

I have never seen them at the big Carrefour near Zhishan MRT, nor the Carrefour Markets around Tianmu.

You get nicer green by adding a little baking soda.

1 Like

True my friend. But the addition of NaHCO3 destroys nutrients. I find that blanch and shock preserves the brilliance of chlorophyll, and the texture is entirely crisp, as long as the reheat is monitored closely.

Do you think restaurants care about nutrients? Or the majority of customers? Eye wins over nutrients.

1 Like