Frozen turkey, american style in Tainan or Kaohsiung?

in Tainan or Kaohsiung? Looking to teach the kids about pilgrims and indians this year, and a roast turkey would certainly help. Prefer not to end up with the Taiwan Turkey Rice bird on the table this year, looking for a nice fat Butterball…

I really don’t know about “down south”. I understand that you have a COSTCO nearer you than Taipei… If so, stop in or call, if you can find a number. They usually have a fair size bird at about 1200 NT. If you are doing this gratis for your students, your making a big mistake unless your employer pays the bill.
Locally, I go to Thomas Meats, do a search. This year they told me that the birds are extra large so it is a bit over 1600 NT. We ordered 2 because of Christmas, but I will cancel #2 in a heartbeat if the bird isn’t substantially larger than last year. They started out 4 years ago at less than 1100 NT and now 1600. One has to wonder if this has forgotten species of dinosaur.
Bottom line is, at least for me, I don’t mind buying my small class some donuts but there is no way I’m spending 1600 for a class for which I make less than 1,000 per hour. Come on.

[quote=“Enigma”]I really don’t know about “down south”. I understand that you have a COSTCO nearer you than Taipei… If so, stop in or call, if you can find a number. They usually have a fair size bird at about 1200 NT. If you are doing this gratis for your students, your making a big mistake unless your employer pays the bill.
Locally, I go to Thomas Meats, do a search. This year they told me that the birds are extra large so it is a bit over 1600 NT. We ordered 2 because of Christmas, but I will cancel #2 in a heartbeat if the bird isn’t substantially larger than last year. They started out 4 years ago at less than 1100 NT and now 1600. One has to wonder if this has forgotten species of dinosaur.
Bottom line is, at least for me, I don’t mind buying my small class some donuts but there is no way I’m spending 1600 for a class for which I make less than 1,000 per hour. Come on.[/quote]
Neihu Costco said they had 'em, 5kg., cooked, $1999NT, but have to pay first, pick up later, a bit of a hassle for the car-less. You should look on the Costco website for the phone number, and talk to your local Costco, there are 6 stores in Taiwan.

Fresh or frozen turkeys are a different kettle of fish. Anybody know? Size, price, availability? Problem is there are not many OVENS in Taiwan.

I am after a uncooked frozen turkey in Taipei, not having much luck finding them as they are either cooked or frozen cooked.

Any help?

Er, yeah, try posting in the thread on this that isn’t specific to Tainan or Kaohsiung. :wink:

There is a foreigner in KHH who does up a really swell turkey in a smoker. He advertises on the Yahoo groups page; Kaohsiung_living. It’s pretty friggin good and comes with dressing I do believe. Not sure of the cost, sorry, but I think it is reasonable.

edit: Here is his ad;

Blue SmoQue
American Pit BBQ
(07) 226-3809
sites.google.com/site/bluesmoque/
bluesmoQue@…

Blue SmoQue is selling traditional smoked turkeys and a selection of
accompanying dishes for the upcoming Thanksgiving. These turkeys will be brined
then hot smoked slow and low on the pit with lump charcoal and hardwood.

You still have a couple more days to get your orders in.

Menu
Smoked Turkey (5.3-6.3 kilos or 12-14lbs)….1900nt
Candied Yams w/ roasted pecans ……… 180nt
Cranberry-Orange Relish…………………… 150nt
Cornbread Dressing…………………………… 250nt
(All sides are easily enough for 4 people)

Smoked Turkey Dinner
All sides and a Turkey…………… 2200nt

Turkeys can be picked up or delivered beginning Thursday afternoon.
Delivery in Kaohsiung is 100nt and 150nt if you live in the sticks.

Turkeys must be ordered at least 3 days in advance.

Our website is: sites.google.com/site/bluesmoque/
The site is best viewed with Google Chrome. I’ve got some kinks to work out
with IE.

You may need to reheat your food depending on your pick up or delivery time as
we want to avoid giving anyone the gift of salmonella. We’ll work with you the
best we can.

As of now we are not a sit-down restaurant. We are vending festivals and events.
Catering and online orders coming soon.