Ftp "hang"

I’m trying to login to my ftp server and there seems to be a problem that is local to my system (running on XP). The computer in the other room can get to the server just fine through the router, but this one can’t. I can ping or run a tracert from the computer no problem. When I ftp to the server though, it says it is connected but then it hangs and a login prompt does not appear. It does not do this from the computer in the other room. Anyone have any ideas on what could be happening locally on my computer to cause this?

I tried shutting down McAfee Guardian (my firewall) and rebooting, but that didn’t seem to help.

What FTP program(if any) are you using? Do both computers have the same OS?

I’ve had this happen with quite a few FTP programs. Make sure that it is in PASSIVE mode…and what package are you using? I’ve had really good luck with AceFTP Freeware, but am currently evaluating Abacre Website Uploader. It sends multiple streams which cuts my site FTP from 1.5 hours (for the whole thing when I do a major update) to about 15 minutes.

Both computers are standard XP personal computers

I tried both using regular FTP (accessed via a DOS command prompt) and IPSWITCH WS_FTP Pro evaluation copy

How do you set it to passive mode?

[quote=“Neo”]Both computers are standard XP personal computers

I tried both using regular FTP (accessed via a DOS command prompt) and IPSWITCH WS_FTP Pro evaluation copy

How do you set it to passive mode?[/quote]

Hmmm, they default to passive. I’m on a Chinese XP machine so I can’t double check that. I did have a few problems with the command line. I’d really recommend AceFTP Free version. I have only had one session hang in the 3 months I’ve been using it. I’ll double check on if XP defaults to passive when I get home (if I don’t post the answer within a few hours, PM me as I have probably forgotted :laughing: ).

I can’t advise that people use aceftp right now.

When you install the software, there’s a toolbar that also installs from Visicomp Media called something like vm*toolbar.

It has repeatedly crashed my win98 pc, as I installed the program three times, I didn’t know that it was this piece of software causing the problem.

It seems to disable any access to the windows file explorer program or any program that needs that function.

I cured it by copying the partition to a new drive. Deleteing the original partition, examining the new partition for the offending spyware, and deleting it and ACEFTP. Then I copied the partition back to the place it was in. Voila! It worked again.

If you are are looking at ACEFTP or (Perhaps any Visicomp Media software, free or paid for), give this issue a second look. It may expose your computer to some vulnerabilities.

Take a look here.

I’ve been using SmartFTP for ages. Free and trouble-free. Give it a go.

Also, could this possibly be a Windows XP Firewall issue? Maybe switched on on one computer but not the other?

It may sound odd that I ask, but are you using the same login and pass on both machines, and are they both logged in at the same time?

If so, you may have set a connection limit on the l/p and your ftp would allow a temporary connection until it found that the l/p was already in use.