Fuel On The Roof

That good or bad?

Both.
I like your methodology to problem solve, and I always prefer to fix things rather than replace them. My family calls me the patron saint of lost causes.
But, 80kph with a can of gas tied to your windshield wiper? Thatā€™s a bit risky. I must be getting old.
If you need to regularly start that with choke or butane, Iā€™m guessing you have a vacuum leak somewhere. What is the compression like? Have you done a leakdown test?

1 Like

There was an element of risk, sure, but I had my Guiness cans at the ready.

I gave the petrol can a good shake (actually lashed to the wiper spindles rather than the wipers, which I removed) and it seemed pretty secure. Iā€™ve done some sailing, and I was in the TA Royal Engineers (sounds better than Boy Scouts, though that would also do) so I have some faith in knots and lashings.

Compression is OK, though the tester (bought in Japan) was supplied with the wrong port adapter and I canā€™t get the right one unless I go to Japan and steal it, so for now Iā€™m relying on the conical push-in thingy which isnā€™t very accurate.

Donā€™t think a leak-down test is a DIY proposition, AFAIK.

To find a leak the next step might be to make a smoke machine, not impossible but a hassle.

An alternative would be to run butane into the sealed off air intake and then look for leaks with a naked flame, but that does seem a bit too riskyā€™since there might be quite a lot of gas in a sealed-off space.

Over the last couple of months, when I didnā€™t have time to fiddle with it, Iā€™ve painted the carb and intake manifold a couple of times with sunflower oil, in the hope it would seal off any leaks. Seems it hasnā€™t, but there might have been some improvement. Donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard of any commercial gloops for sealing off vacuum leaks.

OOPS! ANOTHER patent opportunity gone. There goes my luxury yacht AGAIN!

Iā€™ll give it another coat and then Iā€™ll take it in for inspection, since Iā€™m already rather late.

At least you were prepared!

Reverse engineering that idea, if I could get some dry ice, and put it in the sealed-off intake tract, could I look for a leak based on the naked flame going out?.

Seems safer

Hmmā€¦dunno if I can get dry ice though. Perhaps scooter exhaust. With a 2-stroke it might work as a smoke machine too.

Have to avoid over pressure which could actually cause leaks though

Ducked, just replace all your vacuum lines. Thatā€™s the culprit most of the time, and your car is an antique in a hot climate (hence hard non-compliant vacuum hoses and leaks at every junction).

I disconnected and blanked of all the complex snakepit of vacuum lines and gizmos (which I dont understand) apart from the vacuum advance, as work-around to running problems about 2 years ago, when I stripped the carb.

I labelled them, but the labels have fallen off, so I probably couldnā€™t re-instate them if I wanted to.

I believe this is a Taiwan-only car, so of course its undocumented, but I have manuals for similar related Daihatsu cars, which have a variety of (entirely unexplained) vacuum line diagrams for various markets, none of which is quite the same as this one.

I tried to understand it and it gave me a headache, plus my choke stopped working, so I took it all off, and I donā€™t want to think about it ever again.

lol. ah well, vacuum lines suck anyway.

1 Like