Fulbright program

Btw, they say

Individuals with the following conditions cannot be placed in Taiwanese classrooms:
-HIV/AIDS infection, AIDS
https://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedprogram/312

Iirc and this info is up-to-date, this requirement is illegal in Taiwan. Is it ok in US?

This needs its own thread methinks.

Funny, I obviously have no idea how to use flags, apparently. :wink:

Yes that’s about right. I think there is around 140 ETAs around Taiwan this year. They have opened up a new location the past two years (Changhua and Yunlin) so the number of accepted applicants is on an increasing trajectory.

Why would people do these Jobs on such low pay in bumfuckville for a year ? Yeah, let’s go to Yunlin for a year and what…?

Fulbright ETAs don’t come to Taiwan with dependents (not allowed) so $40,000 (50,000 in Taipei) is pretty reasonable to us. Flights, luggage fees, and travel fees for conferences and training are covered. So we only have to pay for rent and daily living expenses. I found that most ETAs save money. We live in 3 bedroom apartments that we share. Most of us are in rural areas (my rent was 5,500 a month) and we still have plenty of money to travel on breaks. I don’t think it’s bad for a recent graduate. Of course, if it’s your salary for a family or a job you plan to have for years, it’s not great. It’s also more than most local teachers.

1 Like

That pay is not more than local teachers. It’s more than some substitute teachers who are waiting to get a full time job. Local teachers get very good benefits and increase in salary continuously.

1 Like

Well that’s just what we were told. Maybe they just said that so we wouldn’t complain about our salary :joy: of course some ETAs have complained before and then Fulbright says well you make more than local teachers so you shouldn’t complain.

So maybe we don’t get correct information!

I should clarify. I don’t think we should make more than local teachers though. We (usually) don’t have the qualifications that they do.

If they’re trying to go off US laws, they’re breaking those too: What You Should Know: HIV/AIDS & Employment Discrimination | U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Someone who is subjected to a prohibited employment action, such as failure to hire or termination because of HIV or the suspicion of HIV, could also easily show that an action was taken against him or her because of an actual or perceived impairment.

Falls under the ADA. Unless the individual has HIV and can’t perform their job with reasonable accommodation. Fascinating. A US government program out to create a world with “a little less conflict and a little less knowledge” is blatantly discriminating against people with HIV/AIDS. Hilarious, actually.

Any teaching job beyond a crappy cram school covers these things

You are being lied to, and I feel like this is a Fulbright lie that must tell all of you upon arrival, because every ETA I’ve met has thought this. If you’re a local teacher without a license, you might be paid that low. Starting pay at NT$45-50,000 is pretty standard for a public school teacher in Taiwan, and they get health care, labor insurance, CNY bonus (one month extra pay), and summer bonus (one month extra pay) (basically, they’re paid 14 months of the year), not to mention annual/education pay raises and a pension of the average of their last two years salary when they retire after 15 years.

They’re lying to you.

Yeah if you were doing the job they were paying you for, it’d be fine/ around what the random college grad they threw in the classroom with you are making. But you’re expected to do way more work than the local teachers. I’d be pissed not about the salary, but that the salary doesn’t reflect the job.

1 Like

this may be true if you don’t include research fee.

Are there actually any mods out there? Ffs

Wow and this is the first time I am hearing this information. Of course, I wasn’t going to ask any of the local teachers at my school how much they make. So we are all just walking around naively believing what we were told by Fulbright on this point.

All said, however, I still don’t regret my 2 year experience on this salary. I traveled and did almost everything I wanted to do, and still walked away with savings. I feel like I can’t argue about my salary when I don’t have the qualifications.

It’s not sustainable of course. That’s why I’m working on getting my masters and teaching license now so I can get a reasonably paid job in Taiwan.

if you want to know how much they make, here it is.

Teacher Remuneration Act
https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=H0150046

This Chinese table directly says their monthly pay.

1 Like

It would appear not, but I’d really like to stop taking over KangChao’s gossip page with this Fulbright stuff, yet there’s no where else for it to go at the moment!

I have noticed Fulbrighters naively believe most things that you’re told by them. It’s the nature of the program. Come, enjoy or pretend to enjoy yourself. Don’t ask questions. Don’t complain.

Where I would draw the line is the mandatory volunteering, the teaching alone, and the unpaid camps. All of those are things that locals are paid $$$$ to do, and while you can say you’re doing it out of the goodness of your heart, the reality is that the money from those jobs (the volunteering and camps) is already allotted for you, and quite likely just going in someone else’s pocket while you do the work.
Fulbright has gotten in trouble a few times in the past few years for having ETAs alone in the classroom, which is strictly against their rules and the laws set by the Taiwan government. To satisfy the MOE’s requirement for all of you to have co-teachers, someone is probably listed as your co-teacher for all your classes and being paid for it, even if they have never even introduced themself to you.

1 Like

yer link leads to an error message

fixed

Keep your shorts on.

1 Like

some people do those things in some countries by paying part of the cost by themselves.

:fist:t5:

1 Like

Fulbright looks good on a CV.