Full Physical

I understand that part of the paper work that goes into applying for University here in Taiwan is a full physical including the HIV test. Do I have to do it in Taiwan or can I get that done in N.America?

You can do it in Taiwan or in your home country. But since Taiwanese health facilities are more centralized it is more convenient to get it done here if possible. That’s been my experience. If you do it in N.American make sure you get the proper form for it. A note or letter from your doctor is no good. Of course if you’re scared of SARS you might want to stay away from Taiwanese hospitals :stuck_out_tongue:

What is the proper form that I need??

Definitely do it in Taiwan if possible. Much cheaper, faster, and less complete. Jenai hospital is a good place to have it done.

It is hardly a physical in the sense that you probably think. Urine test for drugs and hep and check your eyes and weigh you…that’s about it.

The form is some government medical check form. you can get it from the Taipei Trade Office. If you do it in Taiwan you’ll get in at the hospital when you pay them for the test. Get it done here if you can though, all the psots above are correct. It’s faster and cheaper. The form just basically asks you a lot of medical history questions that you answer no to. Then they give you urine and blood tests (there use to be stool samples) which you want to register negative on. They also test your eyes.

AFAIK they’re still doing stool samples for teachers. They were in Taichung in December anyway.

I’ve heard from some foreigners here they don’t do them anymore. I guess we can just add another Taiwanese-ism to the test. Maybe you’ll have to, maybe you won’t. Just depends on the day. Perhaps you just better make sure you’re prepared before you go.:slight_smile:)

i never did mine in taiwan before and was always admitted to the school i wanted…i just had a letter from my doc, stating, that i’m healthy and don’t carry any deseases…and i had a seperate hiv test…sent all this and the other stuff to my uni, got a letter of admittance in return and then applied with it for a visa…i was told if u go to taiwan on a visitor visa and apply for school later, u have to leave to country and get an other visa…happened to one of my friends…so i suggest u do everything at home…and state in ur visa application, that u will go there for studies and send them ur letter of admittance for ur university too…like this u won’t have any problems…

You only have to leave the country if you dillydally on getting your paperwork in motion. You don’t have to leave the country to get your visa changed afaik, but if you are on a visitor visa, you might need to leave every 60 days to have it renewed until you can apply for a resident visa.
It’s rather silly to have your physical done abroad when you’ll need to have it translated and its legitimacy debated and possibly wind up having to do it again if they don’t test you for the right stuff. It’s much easier and faster having it done here in Taiwan.

The reason I would rather do it in N.America is because I know my doctor and I would feel more comfortable giving a blood test here. With all the scare of hospitals in Taiwan I just like the idea of being in a hospital environment that looks familiar to me.

Cost keeps creeping up in the conversation but thats not an issue since we have medical coverage in Canada. :laughing:

which uni would u want to apply to? believe me, i have done my medical exam and hiv test in europe for the application to taiwan normal university (shida) and taiwan culture university (wenhua daxue) and never had any problems. the trick is, that u apply for the uni from ur home country, send them all they want, including the medical exam, and they will send u a letter of admittance back. with this u apply for a visa at ur local taiwan office. that’s it, as easy as this…i never had to have my medical exams translated! as far as i remember, the only thing u have to translate is ur transcripts and diploma from high school or local university.

and…u don’t have to leave the country if u apply for the visa the way i just explained. like this u can stay for 60 days and then, with a letter of ur taiwanese university, stating that u really do attend classes, u can expand ur visa twice until u can apply for a resident permit the third time. or if u got a multiple entrance visa (in my case i just had to pay a little more to get one, guess it’s the same for n americans) u can leave the country and then again expand ur visa twice. what ever u prefer.

What? Our doctors have pretty clean ice-picks for taking blood.

[quote=“roseha”]The reason I would rather do it in N.America is because I know my doctor and I would feel more comfortable giving a blood test here. With all the scare of hospitals in Taiwan I just like the idea of being in a hospital environment that looks familiar to me.

You’re being a bit over-cautious. Hospitals in Taiwan are perfectly capable of giving you a safe HIV test as well as other basic medical care. Relax.

And, seriously, here visiting the doctor for that check-up will cost you probably under US$10. What is it in the States?
By the way, Taiwan is not the wilds of Borneo, you know. We do have running water and electricity and Western-trained doctors…

i wouldn’t wanna go to the doctor or stay in a hospital in any foreign country either…unless it is really necessary…no matter if this is taiwan, japan, the states or italy…

I wandered into RenAi Hospital yesterday morning at about 11.15am, ready to undergo yet another one of those farcical checkups. To my surprise :? , I was told that it was too late, as operating hours are from 9-11am and 1.30-4pm.

For what is perhaps Taiwan’s biggest public hospitals, I was more than a little miffed by their “public service” mentality… I only wish I had a working day as cruisy as this. Privatisation couldn’t come any sooner.


I’m sure that this is just the tip of the iceberg… I’m expecting an eventful morning when I return… as these things are nebver simple. I’m sure there’s plenty of horror stories out there.