Fulong Beach - information on when open/closed

We drove down to Fulong and Yanliao beaches this last weekend, only to get there and have them be closed to swimming. Does anyone know of a website or number to call to find out if beaches are open before driving there? Preferably in English since I can’t read Chinese.

Does anyone know why they close the beaches? There were still some people in the water at Fulong, but signs up everywhere saying No Swimming and sections roped off.

:unamused: You can’t go in the water because you might drown, or because one of the locals might follow you in and drown.

Wait until ghost month, then the risk is multiplied by all the spirits of those departed that hang around by every body of water waiting for the chance to pull the unwary into the depths.

Just get away from the guarded area. It’s a big beach.

North of Fulong town the road crosses a river. There is a road there heading inland. Take this road, and make an immediate left turn downhill. It’s pretty steep. This little road follows the river under the bridge and goes all the way to the beach. There is limited parking space at the end of the road, and no-one giving you shit.

[quote=“expat newbie”]We drove down to Fulong and Yanliao beaches this last weekend, only to get there and have them be closed to swimming. Does anyone know of a website or number to call to find out if beaches are open before driving there? Preferably in English since I can’t read Chinese.

Does anyone know why they close the beaches? There were still some people in the water at Fulong, but signs up everywhere saying No Swimming and sections roped off.[/quote]

I was there (Fulong) on Sunday and swam all afternoon with no problems…Usually they close the beach after a drowning, and it’s a problem for what would be considered a fairly safe beach by western standards. The lifeguards will usually cut the foreigners some slack, but at the same time are resentful when the locals follow them in. There are a couple of weird spots in the bay, one at the river mouth and the other right next to the Jetty by the temple on the Southern end of the beach.

To bad you didn’t stick around, it turned out to be a very nice day…

:sunglasses:

Me too. Was that your 4x4 parked on the beach by the river?

Me too. Was that your 4x4 parked on the beach by the river?[/quote]

Nah, I only drive on the beaches that aren’t frequented by people, i.e. polluted Taoyuan County beaches :wink:

I was parked at the temple though…Sorry I missed you. Wookie and inspire were there, and we ran into Fox as we were sitting down to eat.

I have a couple of friends that camped out in Longmeng last weekend…is that close to Fulong?

Their pictures were fantastic: might be a good place for a family day outing or overnighter camping trip.

We did stick around for a little while, letting the kids play in the sand. We were at the part right next to the Fulong Visitor Center - underneath the bridge going out to another section of beach. The water seemed pretty stinky and cloudy brown right there - we thought that may be why it was closed to swimming? This was on Saturday. It was still an enjoyable time.

Yanliao beach was disgusting - completely filled with trash - is it normally that dirty? It is an otherwise gorgeous beach, with nice soft sand.

We’ll have to go back some other weekend and find some of the better spots away from all the locals and hopefully, trash.

Only 1KM away.

Isn’t that part of the beach near a sewage outlet or something? I remember hearing something about a good reason to not go into the water by the bridge.

[quote=“Tetsuo”][quote=“expat newbie”]
Isn’t that part of the beach near a sewage outlet or something? I remember hearing something about a good reason to not go into the water by the bridge.[/quote][/quote] To a local, no lifeguards is a good reason.

I have been to Fu long twice now, always near the Windsurfing/Sailing Club by that bridge. You can rent beginner windsurfing equipment there. The hours are 9 am - 3 pm. They employ a lifeguard who is only responsible for their members. Technically, they pay fees for using that whole area and no one else is allowed on the beach but they don’t really care as long as no one interferes with their sailing. I saw many people out there to swim, play on the beach and build sandcastles. It’s quite a idyllic place.

Membership is actually quite affordable too, around 10,000 NT a year and it’s open the whole year round. I have to inquire more about that.

The sand is actually quite nice and smooth. The view is amazing, you almost feel like you aren’t even in Taiwan, and sometimes, you need to get away from Taipei. I met some forumosa members there the last time I was in Fu long, they were trying to surf there, but I don’t think the waves are consistent enough.

[quote=“kellohitty”] You can rent beginner windsurfing equipment there. The hours are 9 am - 3 pm. They employ a lifeguard who is only responsible for their members. Technically, they pay fees for using that whole area and no one else is allowed on the beach but they don’t really care as long as no one interferes with their sailing.

Membership is actually quite affordable too, around 10,000 NT a year and it’s open the whole year round. I have to inquire more about that.

[/quote]

Open weekdays too? My wife and I are going to have Friday afternoons free all summer. Be great to learn to windsurf and enjoy the beach when it’s not crowded. I hate beaches on the weekend.

Mucha Man,
Hey…Mucha Man … Robert? We going to Fulong tomorrow?
Laa

It’s open everyday except Mondays I think. It’s definately open on Friday for sure. You’ll need to go and ask about the Monday thing. The lifeguard is on duty from 8-3. You need to start cleaning up and washing up after 3 pm. I’ve been there at 8:30 in the morning and there are already people there.
It 's not that crowded on the weekends. People tend to stick to a different part of the beach than the windsurfers.