Fulong Outing for the Family

Well, at least that’s what we call ourselves here at good old 573 JJ Lu. :laughing:

In any case, we are heading to Fulong this weekend. I was curious…are there any things I have missed that I might want to check out? Things like hiking trails, hidden swimming areas, or things of that nature? Or maybe a better question is…what activities do you suggest besides the usual swim/sunbathe routine?

[quote=“Jinete Mortal”]Well, at least that’s what we call ourselves here at good old 573 JJ Lu. :laughing:

In any case, we are heading to Fulong this weekend. I was curious…are there any things I have missed that I might want to check out? Things like hiking trails, hidden swimming areas, or things of that nature? Or maybe a better question is…what activities do you suggest besides the usual swim/sunbathe routine?[/quote]

The Caoling Historic trail starts right in Fulong. If you can’t find the sign ask at the Tourist Office in town. From Fulong to Daxi the trail runs for 16kilometres, but you can do shorter stretches, such as to Dali. From either Dali or Daxi you can return to Fulong by train.

The trail begins as a small road but no cars are allowed on it. After a few kilometres it heads up and over the Fulong peninsula. There are two 19th century relics to observe: both are giant inscriptions on flat stones. In addition there are frequent signs in English and Chinese explaining the local flora (who knew there were so many fig trees in Taiwan?)

The top of the trail runs along grass headlands giving you a superb view of the pacific and Turtle Island. From here you can either head down to Dali or keep going along the opens headlands to Daxi. It’s a great hike.

If you want to save time, take a taxi to the trailhead a few kilometres outside Fulong. Then up and down to Dali is only 6km or so. A good few hours hiking.

To get to the trailhead head north from Fulong. About a km or so later you’ll see a gas station on the left. Turn left and head up the road. A few kilometres later you’ll see the English sign for the Caoling (or Tsaoling Trail). Turn left again and in a kilometre or so you’ll find an obvious trailhead with signs, washrooms, decks and so on.

If you can bring or rent bikes (I think the campground just north of Fulong rents bikes) follow the route I just mentioned but don’t turn left at the Tsaoling trail. Instead continue another 2km (I think) until you see the sign for the Taoyuan Valley Trail. Go left and follow a smooth, flat road for 8 km as it hugs the banks of a clean wide creek. At places you’ll be able to leave the road and drive right up to the creek. It’s clean and people swim in it when the weather is warm.

There are a number of turns to make which I can’t possibly remember how to describe but the way to the Taoyuan valley Trail is marked (but only in Chinese so remember the characters). Most wrong turns quickly lead to small private roads. Just try to keep on what looks like the main road.

At the end of the road (the last few kilometres wind up and around) you’ll see the English signs and maps for the Taoyuan Valley trail. This trail connects up with the aforementioned Caoling.

The road is very quiet and the scenery very fresh and beautiful. You’ll only see a handful of houses and structures the whole way. You’ll also get a chance to see water buffalo in emerald green terraced rice fields, a rarity in northern taiwan now.

These are a few extra things to do in Fulong besides hang out at the beach.

Oh yeah, if you do take a bike up the road tbe sure to return long before sunset. The air is thick with insects as the sun goes down and you will be picking them out of your teeth, nose, eyes, and ears if you ride around this time.

Mucha Man, thanks a bundle for the info. That is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find out! :smiley: Now my next question, would you take a prospective mate on a hike with you? A good “date” activity in your opinion? :wink:

Are you sure there’s no cars allowed in the samll road? One just about hit me on Sunday. HMMMMM, I’m back in Taiwan. Traffic rules are like the order of Chinese characters…mystifying.

We’ll probably be in the area as well…Boogie boarding.

You may want to change your plans somewhat, I wouldn’t want to be up on that trail when this comes in…

npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc/warnings/wp2204sa.gif

Should be some awesome surf though…I’ll PM you with my contact info if you interested.

If we are talking about the same road there shouldn’t be cars on it as the road is now officially part of the Caoling trail but then again I’ve only ever started from the old trailhead.

Of course it depends on the date but I’m sure you’ve chosen well. In any case I would offer to take a taxi to the trailhead (to show that your concern here is a fun time and not a sweaty excursion) and then hike up to the bluffs overlooking the Pacific with Turtke Island in the background. Three kilometres up and 3 back to where you began or down to Dali and a train or taxi ride back to Fulong. Nothing remotely difficult about that. The trail is an easy uphill walk, mostly staired with stone steps, and has numerous stops along the way up. The flora signs and historical relics provide a good opportunity to rest and also allow your date to talk a bit about Taiwanese history and how hard the people struggled to make a good life here (everyone loves to tell this story).

At the top on the bluffs there are wooden pavilions to rest and enjoy lunch. Bring food and water and have a picnic up there. If you want privacy take a blanket and set yourselves up on the grassy slopes back from the pavilions.

So yes, if your date is reasonably fit and likes a bit of exercise and is fond of nature she should enjoy this hike. Also the fact that you can turn the hike into a romantic picnic on a scenic bluff makes it a potentially very fine date activity.

Great advice again, Mucha Man, except for:

She is a meiguoren…not a local. :wink: Who knows…she might know a thing or two herself. :notworthy: :slight_smile:

I guess it’s like the old saying: Once you’ve had meiguo you’ll never hui guo.

Nah. :wink: She’s the first foreigner I’ve dated since I’ve been here. All the others were local cuties. :smiley: :bravo:

We didnt make it as far as Tsaoling trail, but I would highly recommend bitoujiao as a nice 2 hour hike with some of the best coastal scenery in Taiwan. Also far less crowded than Ye Liu. Is a terrific place to take a date, but should bring plenty of water and sunscreen.

If you start in Daxi and walk back to Fulong you’ll avoid the crowds

Until you get to Fulong. :wink:

True - but you get the best parts of the trip in peace.

What I actually dislike the most about Fulong is some of the white trash that party on the beach each weekend and leave shit loads of trash…worse than the locals