Fulung

Anyone here been to Fulung? I am heading there this weekend and am just wondering if there are any locals renting out waverunners in that area.

Have you considered posting in the travel forum? Or using the search engine?

What’s a wave rider?

I was there two days ago, and the beach was closed though you could still get in and walk around. Some people were practising wind surfing but you can’t go swimming this time of year. No lifeguard. Same with every other beach in the north.

Did a search on multiple SE’s, didn’t get much. And I figured since the “Open Forum” seems like the most read one, that I’d have better luck getting a response if I posted there, even though I knew it would get moved here :stuck_out_tongue:

A wave runner, also known as a jet ski, is a personal watercraft. Much like what a scooter is to a car, a wave runner is the same to a yacht. I love riding them. :smiley:

:no-no:

That means I have to move it.

There are a few places on the NE Coast you might be able to rent what you are after (although, I’m still not sure what you mean - to me a jet ski means a motorised water-motorcycle thingy, but it seems like you mean something closer to a wind-surfer???).

Try the visitor’s centre at Fulong first. They are the visitor’s centre for the whole area, and have a lot of information in English and helpful English-speaking staff. Phone 24991115.

Then there’s a place called North Shore Adventures in Longdong. They do scuba and snorkelling, but might do that sort of thing too, I’m not sure. They’re mostly open in Summer, but you could call the Taipei shop 28801231.

Longdong South Ocean Park has some small boats and stuff (maybe including what you want) in Summer. 24902112.

The surf shops at Daxi beach may also have what your’e after. One is Spider Surf Club 27387860
spidersurfing.com/english1.asp

Brian

I think the best you can do in Fulong is to sit on the back of one… :noway:

I’ve got some friends that live up there…I’ll call and check for you.

The best places to Jetski in Taiwan are probably Kenting and Penghu…Expensive as hell to rent though. Think about 600NT for 20 minutes!

Bollocks!

A scooter is a convenient means of transport. a wave runner is a noisy irritating intrusion onto everyone else’s peaceful enjoyment of the marine environment. I’ve just taken this guy’s advice to ensure serenity at sea, so don’t come near Feicuiwan or Jilong on a Sunday!

Signed
A Yachtie

You’re right about the search engine being crap. I used it and it only came up with two or three discussions about beaches, a few on watersports, and one specifically about Fulong beach:
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=1 … ght=fulong
Not much use to anyone really, is it?

And yeah, that BuLaiEn’s a right bastard. He moves all my posts out of his forum too.

I saw a little girl get badly injured by a jetski at Kending a couple of years ago – a couple of morons screaming about right close to that “Sailboat Rock” spot where many people snorkel. Later, we saw fisticuffs on the beach between the jetskiers and (I presume) the extended family of the child.
They do look like fun, but they are indeed intrusive, very noisy and should not be permitted anywhere near other people.

Bollocks!

A scooter is a convenient means of transport. a wave runner is a noisy irritating intrusion onto everyone else’s peaceful enjoyment of the marine environment.[/quote]

Hahaha. that was the best analogy I could come up with, as comparing a wave runner and a boat somehow didn’t seem to fit. So I went with yacht instead. Forgive my ignorance. :notworthy:

But anyway, I made it out to Fulong on Saturday and let’s just say I can’t wait until the summer time. The beach was awesome and the whole stretch of that part of the coast was gorgeous! :lovestruck:

I saw a little girl get badly injured by a jetski at Kending a couple of years ago – a couple of morons screaming about right close to that “Sailboat Rock” spot where many people snorkel. Later, we saw fisticuffs on the beach between the jetskiers and (I presume) the extended family of the child.
They do look like fun, but they are indeed intrusive, very noisy and should not be permitted anywhere near other people.[/quote]

Yea I too have seen my share of idiots on wave runners on the California coast and on the Colorado River. I don’t know what the rules in Taiwan are, but in the areas I mentioned there is normally at least a good half mile buffer cordoned off to wave runners called a “No Wake Zone”. Basically, if you are bringing your toy back in from a ride, you can only go in at maybe 1 mph if you’re lucky. These are usually found right off the the beach and in swimming areas as well.

[quote=“SteveZeAuthor”][quote=“sandman”]
They do look like fun, but they are indeed intrusive, very noisy and should not be permitted anywhere near other people.[/quote]

Yea I too have seen my share of idiots on wave runners on the California coast and on the Colorado River. I don’t know what the rules in Taiwan are, but in the areas I mentioned there is normally at least a good half mile buffer cordoned off to wave runners called a “No Wake Zone”. Basically, if you are bringing your toy back in from a ride, you can only go in at maybe 1 mph if you’re lucky. These are usually found right off the the beach and in swimming areas as well.[/quote]
At Kending itself, the people renting jetskis out did not seem particularly eager to have our business, so we went up to Nanwan, another bay a little further north. At Nanwan there is a cordoned-off space for swimming and of course jetskis cannot go within that space. In addition, the rental guys get you to slow right down when you’re close to shore, which is a good thing.

I have mixed feelings about them. They are indeed great fun but as SB says they’re noisy and can disturb other people’s enjoyment, as well as creating environmental problems. Perhaps the best thing would be to limit them to a few selected areas.

They don’t like to rent to foriegners because we beat the crap out of their rental stuff…At least I do :smiling_imp:

Funny enough, they don’t like you to stray to far from the beach either. The last time I rented one, I tried to stay as far away from everyone as possible, but then without fail, they would wave me back in or come out and get me…

Waverunners are a blast…But I believe they should be BANNED from every beach in Kenting, especially Nanwan, where most people get injured from the coolsters doing a high speed run at shore. I was helping with an open-water class back in 97 near the outflow of the nuclear power plant when one of the students was struck in the head by a waverunner…Knocked the guy out cold :bluemad:

I feel that water related injuries and deaths in general in Kenting are WAY under reported…Three people drowned during my three week stay doing the The Taiwanese rope-a-snorkeling-tour. Sorry if this is a little off topic.

Play with wave runners at your own risk in Kenting and avoid renting them from anyone at Nanwan or any beach that is heavily frequented by tourists. If there are responsible operators down there, I’ve never seen them…

I believe you can rent jet-skis from the Howard Hotel at Feicuiwan. I’ve seen them zipping around out there without any apparent regulation at all. And someone told me he hired one on a lake somewhere.

As for ‘swimming areas’, how ya gonna get your jetski over the net onto the ‘safe’ area at Fulong? My first trip there (on my first day in Taiwan) was a real eye-opener - a big netted off area, waist deep at the furthest point, crammed full of people squealing and splashing. As soon as I ducked outside the ‘lifeguards’ started yelling and shouting. (None of them ventured into the water though!)

Go further up the beach and they leave you alone.

Anyone have any idea what the weather’s like at Fulong Beach right now?

TRying to decide whether it’s worth taking the one hour drive out there now or will it be heavy rain?