Fun game/Allhallowmas virus

Anybody else having problems with these viruses. There seems to be two kinds involved. One has an exe attachment called “a fun game”. It copies itself on your computer and sends out emails to everyone on your email list. The other one sends a big file under the heading “allhallowmas” or some other heading. It is a big file, but shows no text or attachment when opened.
I have a couple of questions for any computer people out there:

1. Is it possible to be infected with a virus merely by opening an email and not downloading an attachment?
  2. Is it possible to send an email so it looks like it came from another email address so if a person replies to the email it goes to the fake address.
    I ask because my email address is being used to send viral mails to addresses that aren’t even in my address book. I also never download exe files. For the record, I use a hotmail account.
  1. True
  2. True!

1.True *Only possible with MS Outlook and Outlook Express
2.True , its called spoofing and is pretty common.

‘Allhallowmas’ is the infamous Klez W.32 virus. Go over to Norton.com for more info. and a free online scan.

Though web based mails can be alittle safer, thats not the case with Hotmail. Since you need Internet Explorer to access Hotmail, just a URL is enough to wipe your Hard drive clean. You’ll be much better off using Yahoo mail and Mozilla,Netscapeor Opera.

Not to mention, MS Internet Explorer has 31 unpatched security holes, http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/.

Have a good day. :smiley:

1. True, but not just with MS Products! Anything running on Windows has the potential, ie Novels Groupwise corporate email for one.

Thanks guys. I got it all sorted. I didn’t have a virus, I was being spoofed by another computer. Jeepers, your signature obviously refers to the American remake of The Ring. Have you seen it? If so, is it any good? Better or worse than the Japanese version?

The movies ok, if you’ve nothing else to do. The Japanese version gave me the migrain, so I guess this ones better. :slight_smile: