Fun stuff in Hsinchu

Where’s the fun stuff in Hsinchu?
Like Taipei has Ximending.
Taichung has Electric Street, 繼光街 and Art Street.
Tainan has those little tea shops by the university.
What’s Hsinchu got?

Hmm not much…

Hsinchu Zoo: A place to go see really depressed animals

Hsinchu Flower Market: A place to see flowers/plants and night market food

Flying Pig: A bar

Pig and Whistle: Another bar

Downtown Hsinchu: A place to walk around if youre bored.

In conclusion, there is really nothing to do in Hsinchu.

What do expect for a place full of programmers, engineers, and scientists.

What do expect for a place full of programmers, engineers, and scientists.[/quote]

Few of them live in the city proper though. I kind of like walking around the downtown area - catch a bite - then walk home. Other than seeing a movie I can’t really think of any other activities here in the city.

Just south of Hsinchu is a place called Guqifeng which has a private collection of Chinese art and antiques that’s absolutely fabulous. The grounds of the cultural museum are part of a temple complex and feature hundreds upon hundreds of good quality statues of folk characters and gods. It’s a fancinating place, though the infrastructure is getting a bit old.

There is a glass museum out near the zoo (which yes, has depressing animals but really lovely grounds), and an image museum in town with movies shown every night in an old theatre from the 1930’s. I think it’s NT20 to see a movie.

The new Chinshui park being built up beside the canal up from the east gate is starting to look lovely with stone paths and overhanging trees. It’s only a few blocks long but it’s really nice at night as there are a lot of new cafes, restaurants and bars in the area.

Out past the harbour there is an ocean park where you can rent bikes and cruise around country roads and along the coast on bike only routes.

Go the the cultural centre on Dongda Road. They act as the tourist office in town and have a lot of English information. If you like relics and temples Hsinchu has a lot and you can pick up a booklet at the cultural centre listing all the places to see in town.

No kidding? What is the color scheme of this Pig and Whistle? I’m curious to know if it bears any resemblance or is in fact the same as the Pig and Whistle on Hollywood Blvd. back in L.A. Anyone else seen that bar in Tinseltown that I’m talking about? It’s a pretty trendy bar, and expensive too. :sunglasses:

Heh. As I’m a Hsinchu-dweller I can proudly state that the Nanliaou beaches are famous for having winds needed for kite-flying…but otherwise, don’t go to Nanliaou.

We DO have a whole lotta beetlenut girls on Kuanfu/GuangFu road though…

Windance, if you are into shopping.

When it comes to boredom, Xinzhu can’t beat Yangmei. Not one bar.

[quote]thechu17 wrote:
Pig and Whistle: Another bar

No kidding? What is the color scheme of this Pig and Whistle? I’m curious to know if it bears any resemblance or is in fact the same as the Pig and Whistle on Hollywood Blvd. back in L.A. Anyone else seen that bar in Tinseltown that I’m talking about? It’s a pretty trendy bar, and expensive too. [/quote]

Haha, the Pig and Whistle is the complete opposite of a trendy bar. If you look in a dictionary and look up “untrendy bar”, a picture of the Pig and Whistle will probably show up. Pig & Whistle is more like a ugly British pub with a sad excuse for a dance floor upstairs.

Haha. Alright, I was just curious. Sounds anything but the same as the one back home. Thanks for the insight. :sunglasses:

Pig and Whistle must be a popular name.
There’s one on Tianmu East Road. It’s got one of those British phone booths outside. They have a pretty good burger.
There’s one in Gaoxiong. This one is real big, but I’ve never been inside.
There used to be one close to Shida. I think it’s called The Pig, but I don’t know if it’s still there.

Worship Chiang Kai-shek? I hear there’s a temple there devoted to him.

…full of a lot of ugly middle-aged British punters. At least every time I’ve been to one with that name.

…full of a lot of ugly middle-aged British punters. At least every time I’ve been to one with that name.[/quote]

Hey, the last time I was there it was filled to the brim with pudgy, middle-aged Germans who were spraying beer everywhere. Then again the last time I ever went to any pub was when Kahn almost single-handedly (alright, so it wasn’t that close) defeated the Brazillians in the World Cup a few years ago…

Well, at least either would be an improvement over geeky 20something Canadian punters, the likes you see in most pubs on this island.

Except for people spraying beer, that pub sounds OK to me.

How come that Taiwan is so infested with canadians?

…full of a lot of ugly middle-aged British punters. At least every time I’ve been to one with that name.[/quote]

Hey, the last time I was there it was filled to the brim with pudgy, middle-aged Germans who were spraying beer everywhere. Then again the last time I ever went to any pub was when Kahn almost single-handedly (alright, so it wasn’t that close) defeated the Brazillians in the World Cup a few years ago…[/quote]

Probably guys from my ex-company. They practically live there.

Infested with?

Infested with?[/quote]
They breed like rats.

:stuck_out_tongue: