Funnny Taiwanese Racism

I have to admit I found this racist incident that happened to me was some what amusing.

I was on the escalator in the MRT during a crowded rush hour and got on a step directly behind a woman. As a habit, I put my hand on the handrail one step in front of me, so my hand ended up next to this Taiwanese woman’s purse. I didn’t think anything of it until I saw her look down at my hand and then look away. About 5 seconds later, she looked at my hand again, then looked back directly at me, seeing that I was not Asian-looking, then looked forward. After thinking about it for another 10 seconds, she moved her purse next to her chest clutched it, and then ran up the escalator.

The funny racism part is that she had to think about whether the non-Taiwanese was a thief or not. I don’t blame her for taking precautions since we are both strangers, but she seemed to be implying that if I looked Asian, she would not have assumed I was a thief. The fact that she had to think about it was funny, racist, but funny.

To avoid future potential problems, I will avoid placing my hand one step in front of me.

Or maybe she was just taken aback and would have done the same with an Asian person, but whatever fuels your persecution complex.

I would have done that to anyone who’s hand was close to my purse, regardless of race, gender or age :wink:

I think there have been times where I’m treated with more than the average level of suspicion though.

I dunno about what happened with the OP, but isn’t being in someone’s personal space here the norm? Usually in any kind of line I’m in, taking a baby step back will result in contact.

[quote=“nonredneck”]I have to admit I found this racist incident that happened to me was some what amusing.

I was on the escalator in the MRT during a crowded rush hour and got on a step directly behind a woman. As a habit, I put my hand on the handrail one step in front of me, so my hand ended up next to this Taiwanese woman’s purse. I didn’t think anything of it until I saw her look down at my hand and then look away. About 5 seconds later, she looked at my hand again, then looked back directly at me, seeing that I was not Asian-looking, then looked forward. After thinking about it for another 10 seconds, she moved her purse next to her chest clutched it, and then ran up the escalator.

The funny racism part is that she had to think about whether the non-Taiwanese was a thief or not. I don’t blame her for taking precautions since we are both strangers, but she seemed to be implying that if I looked Asian, she would not have assumed I was a thief. The fact that she had to think about it was funny, racist, but funny.

To avoid future potential problems, I will avoid placing my hand one step in front of me.[/quote]

Yeah, you probably just look like a crook.

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]I would have done that to anyone who’s hand was close to my purse, regardless of race, gender or age :wink:

I think there have been times where I’m treated with more than the average level of suspicion though.[/quote]

I sure wouldn’t trust you. :no-no:

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]I would have done that to anyone who’s hand was close to my purse, regardless of race, gender or age :wink:

I think there have been times where I’m treated with more than the average level of suspicion though.[/quote]

it’s the fact that she had to think about it after looking at me which is my reason. i don’t blame her for taking action and i admit the placement of my hand caused suspicion . but why wait 10 seconds after looking at me. if a strange hand is near her purse, why does she wait so long before doing anything? I would think the first reaction would be to move your purse, not look at the person and then make an assestment about whether to move.

Yes a lot of people (here and everywhere) are racist in some kind of way.

…but this is a poor example

The other day I stole a Christian Dior purse. I only did it because she stared at me.

[quote=“Leftywang81”]Yes a lot of people (here and everywhere) are racist in some kind of way.

…but this is a poor example[/quote]

it’s equal to Taiwanese trying to avoid next to non Taiwanese on the bus or MRT. not something to get up in arms about but it still exists. even though I am the one posting it, i still find it funny.

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“Leftywang81”]Yes a lot of people (here and everywhere) are racist in some kind of way.

it’s equal to Taiwanese trying to avoid next to non Taiwanese on the bus or MRT. not something to get up in arms about but it still exists. even though I am the one posting it, i still find it funny.[/quote]

Agreed. It exists. But I’m guessing any girl wouldve clutched her purse if she saw a guy put his hand next to it. Maybe running up the escalator was a bit extreme, unless you were creeping her out. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Leftywang81”]Yes a lot of people (here and everywhere) are racist in some kind of way.

Going to agree with this, It seems more like a case of she saw your hand near her purse and was looking at you to “acknowledge you being to close to her purse”

I fail to see the racism in anything she did. People will always give you dirty looks if you are near their stuff

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]I would have done that to anyone who’s hand was close to my purse, regardless of race, gender or age :wink:

it’s the fact that she had to think about it after looking at me which is my reason. I don’t blame her for taking action and i admit the placement of my hand caused suspicion . but why wait 10 seconds after looking at me. if a strange hand is near her purse, why does she wait so long before doing anything? I would think the first reaction would be to move your purse, not look at the person and then make an assestment about whether to move.[/quote]
She mighta been staring you down like, “dude. Move your hand.”
When you didn’t, she moved the purse for you.

[quote=“Rocket”]

I sure wouldn’t trust you. :no-no:[/quote]

Watch out for those sly foreign devils!

[quote=“nonredneck”]I have to admit I found this racist incident that happened to me was some what amusing.

To avoid future potential problems, I will avoid placing my hand one step in front of me.[/quote]

I would kick your ass so you roll down the steps if you did this to my wife.

[quote=“Xeno”]

Watch out for those sly foreign devils![/quote]
Ha…the thief and the color wolf do both look suspiciously like foreigners (and each other). Then again, most of the people in government signs seem to look suspiciously like foreigners for some reason.

you have a good point. She might have been giving me a why is your hand there look. i wasn’t looking at her , just saw her glance at me with my periphial vision and not her face.

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“Leftywang81”]Yes a lot of people (here and everywhere) are racist in some kind of way.

it’s equal to Taiwanese trying to avoid next to non Taiwanese on the bus or MRT. not something to get up in arms about but it still exists. even though I am the one posting it, i still find it funny.[/quote]

I’m a young white guy who is far from good-looking (though I have decent hygiene habits), and I have to say I have never once noticed people intentionally avoiding me on the bus or the MRT. In fact, the likelihood of an old granny to sit next to me seems to correlate directly with how NSFW the thread on reddit I’m reading is.

I’d enjoy that lawsuit very much.

On the MRT yesterday and an old lady was sitting next to me.
When the person next to her on the other side got up, she nonchalantly slid over.
I thought that was kind of interesting.

I’d enjoy that lawsuit very much.[/quote]

:laughing: