Funnny Taiwanese Racism

[quote=“Leftywang81”]On the MRT yesterday and an old lady was sitting next to me.
When the person next to her on the other side got up, she nonchalantly slid over.
I thought that was kind of interesting.[/quote]

Next time, use a deodorant? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“hannes”][quote=“Leftywang81”]On the MRT yesterday and an old lady was sitting next to me.
When the person next to her on the other side got up, she nonchalantly slid over.

Next time, use a deodorant? :p[/quote]

:thumbsup:

This is what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Got on the MRT, saw an empty seat, tried to sit down when the train started moving, and stumbled a bit over my own feet, but landing safely on the seat. Guy sitting next to me says “Sorry” in English. :loco:

He did absolutely NOTHING to make me stumble, just sitting there minding his own business. So, what was he apologizing for?

Some possibilities

1. He used some invisible magic powers to make me stumble and realized that he shouldn’t do that.
  2. He apologized on behalf of the Taipei Metro for providing a service that makes one stumble.
  3. He sees a foreigner and immediately feels to do/or say something, anything.

:loco: :loco:

[quote=“hannes”]This is what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Got on the MRT, saw an empty seat, tried to sit down when the train started moving, and stumbled a bit over my own feet, but landing safely on the seat. Guy sitting next to me says “Sorry” in English. :loco:

He did absolutely NOTHING to make me stumble, just sitting there minding his own business. So, what was he apologizing for?

Some possibilities

1. He used some invisible magic powers to make me stumble and realized that he shouldn’t do that.
  2. He apologized on behalf of the Taipei Metro for providing a service that makes one stumble.
  3. He sees a foreigner and immediately feels to do/or say something, anything.

:loco: :loco:[/quote]

Some people are just passive in life.
Its easier just to say “Sorry” to diffuse any and all situations…

He must have recently seen the video of the guy who went nuts and started to scream:" SAY YOU’RE SORRY BEATCH, I’LL F00KING KILL YOU", so he decided to say sorry in advance.
Just a wild guess!

I do the bag closer to me, every time a see a persons hand close to it whatever race.

OP, you’re either shit deep in culture shock and it’s warping your ability to be objective or you’re a poor communicator. How could you read racism into that?

People here have been gentle. Think about these two words, and what they might mean to you in terms of a better quality of life: “Self awareness.”

[quote=“Tomas”]OP, you’re either shit deep in culture shock and it’s warping your ability to be objective or you’re a poor communicator. How could you read racism into that?

People here have been gentle. Think about these two words, and what they might mean to you in terms of a better quality of life: “Self awareness.”[/quote]

Or he is black.

Don’t do that to black people even if they look like that guy.

Yeah, the dozen or so black people who live in Taiwan and who I know well enough to talk about such things with, would say that he is paranoid.

[quote=“Leftywang81”]On the MRT yesterday and an old lady was sitting next to me.

On one of those benches that sit three at the ends of each carriage? I do that all the time, just to give myself and the person next to me more space.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”][quote=“Tomas”]OP, you’re either shit deep in culture shock and it’s warping your ability to be objective or you’re a poor communicator. How could you read racism into that?

People here have been gentle. Think about these two words, and what they might mean to you in terms of a better quality of life: “Self awareness.”[/quote]

Or he is black.

Don’t do that to black people even if they look like that guy.

[/quote]

Its cuz hes SHORT. :whistle:

A couple of times I’ve gone into Carrefour and had a random older-than-me male member of the public see me and say “WELCOME!”

I’m now prepared so that the next time this happens, I can say “No, no, this is CARREFOUR!”

I’ve also had an older gentleman approach me in a department store and say “Excuse me! Are you… David Beckham?”, which my partner has never let me forget.

(All of these were in Taiwan, by the way. It’s on-topic!)

[quote=“antarcticbeech”][quote=“Leftywang81”]On the MRT yesterday and an old lady was sitting next to me.

On one of those benches that sit three at the ends of each carriage? I do that all the time, just to give myself and the person next to me more space.[/quote]

No, she slid over away from me next to someone else.

[quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“antarcticbeech”][quote=“Leftywang81”]On the MRT yesterday and an old lady was sitting next to me.

On one of those benches that sit three at the ends of each carriage? I do that all the time, just to give myself and the person next to me more space.[/quote]

No, she slid over away from me next to someone else.[/quote]

Oh. :ponder: Perhaps her new neighbour was a handsome old dog?

Maybe she slid over on that pool of sweat dripping off you. Euwww.

[quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“antarcticbeech”][quote=“Leftywang81”]On the MRT yesterday and an old lady was sitting next to me.

Maybe she had a problem with your views on gay rights. :idunno:

[quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“antarcticbeech”][quote=“Leftywang81”]On the MRT yesterday and an old lady was sitting next to me.

Maybe she had a problem with your views on gay rights. :idunno:[/quote]

Maybe

[quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“antarcticbeech”][quote=“Leftywang81”]On the MRT yesterday and an old lady was sitting next to me.

Maybe[/quote]

Just kidding, brah. :wink:

You know, I get the feeling you need to laugh more.

[quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“antarcticbeech”][quote=“Leftywang81”]On the MRT yesterday and an old lady was sitting next to me.

Maybe[/quote]

Just kidding, brah. :wink:

You know, I get the feeling you need to laugh more.[/quote]

Haha nah I’m good.
I enjoy playing devils advocate.
What fun is a discussion when everyone agrees with each other holding hands and shit?
I just like to bring in different views and see where that takes the discussion.

[quote=“Leftywang81”]
I just like to bring in different views and see where that takes the discussion.[/quote]

That would be great! So when you planning on stopping with the drunk granddad hits the eggnog at Christmas and tells everyone what’s wrong with the world-shtick?