Funny Taiwan T-Shirt I Made

Hey everyone,

I recently came across cafepress.com, where you can upload your own designs and sell them printed on various products… and anyone can buy them! There are also no start-up costs whatsoever for those who put their designs on stuff. You could also order products with your own personalized pictures, etc. - great website.

Anyway, I’d like you all to check out my two designs; a T-shirt and a mug. The T-shirt is directed to all Taiwanese (and us “foreigners”) in general, and the mug is for teachers of any sort!

cafepress.com/freetaiwan

Let me know what y’all think now!

Shawn

This one is funny, too…
cafepress.com/buy/taiwan/-/p … pt_/c_666/

This one is HIGHLY racist and it makes me angry:

I’m going to get it taken off cafepress.com - and for those of us who are married or going out with a Taiwanese… it should make us “huo da”!!!

[quote=“shawn_c”]This one is HIGHLY racist and it makes me angry:

I’m going to get it taken off cafepress.com - and for those of us who are married or going out with a Taiwanese… it should make us “huo da”!!![/quote]

Are you joking?
That shirt is pure gold.
I even started a thread on it before: [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/save-a-horse-ride-a-taiwanese/37008/1

huh? none of them are funny, and how is the last one racist?

[quote=“Josefus”][quote=“shawn_c”]This one is HIGHLY racist and it makes me angry:

I’m going to get it taken off cafepress.com - and for those of us who are married or going out with a Taiwanese… it should make us “huo da”!!![/quote]

Are you joking?
That shirt is pure gold.
I even started a thread on it before: [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/save-a-horse-ride-a-taiwanese/37008/1

You think it’s gold because you’re obviously sexist and racist and not afraid to show it.

I read your thread, and it seems that not everyone agrees with your lame assessment of the T-shirt.

I assume you see why it’s sexist. It’s racist because a lot of males from America/Canada have the perception that if they go to Asia, they’ll easily be able to land a girlfriend, one-night-stand, etc. This perception is held amongst many of the “club-going” type and there are actually males that fly all the way over from the West, just to pursue this line of thinking. The shirt just perpetuates the idiotic myth that a Taiwanese girl will jump all over any Western guy she sees.

And no, the phrase cannot be defended by mention of the original song that it was derived from. It can’t be defended by saying that it’s all in good fun. Racism and sexism are still racism and sexism in any context. Furthermore, it’s not like the song was one of the top hits of the last century; and it’s certainly not unreasonable for a one-line phrase on a T-shirt or mug to be very offensive in and of itself.

I assume you see why it’s sexist. It’s racist because a lot of males from America/Canada have the perception that if they go to Asia, they’ll easily be able to land a girlfriend, one-night-stand, etc. This perception is held amongst many of the “club-going” type and there are actually males that fly all the way over from the West, just to pursue this line of thinking. The shirt just perpetuates the idiotic myth that a Taiwanese girl will jump all over any Western guy she sees.
[/quote]
Yep, its sexist, but not overly sexist. There are plenty of commercial clothes that are equally sexist. As for racist? Bullshit.
Sure its targeting Taiwanese girls, but any guy could wear that shirt, whether Taiwanese, American or whatever.

Do you actually know anyone that came all the way from the West just to pick up a Taiwanese girl? F’ing bullshit man. People go to Thailand for that, not Taiwan.

And as for the ‘Myth’ that Taiwanese girls jump all over Western guys, perhaps you can explain why 25% of Taiwanese marriages are to foreigners?

[quote=“shawn_c”]
And no, the phrase cannot be defended by mention of the original song that it was derived from. It can’t be defended by saying that it’s all in good fun. Racism and sexism are still racism and sexism in any context. Furthermore, it’s not like the song was one of the top hits of the last century; and it’s certainly not unreasonable for a one-line phrase on a T-shirt or mug to be very offensive in and of itself.[/quote][/quote]

I have no idea what song u are referring to.

[quote=“shawn_c”]This one is funny, too…
cafepress.com/buy/taiwan/-/p … pt_/c_666/[/quote]

That there is racist too then? Why mention her nationality? What is the suggestion? Your original t-shirt is racist too? Are you suggesting there is something inherently bad about Taiwan that one has to survive it?

I reckon they are all slurs matey, and not one of them is any better than any other.

I like your teaching mug though.

“Tycoon”, you must first cite your statistics before I can start attacking them!

Without your sources, however, it’s clearly ascertainable what your experience with research and statistics are; we must be clear, however, because I said “the idiotic myth that a Taiwanese girl will jump all over any Western guy she sees.” Firstly, I said Taiwanese GIRL - keyword here being, “girl”. Secondly, I said “Western guy”, meaning those of European descent.

It’s not hard to guess that your “statistic” includes both males and females and the definition of “foreigner” in that case includes not only Western countries, but also countries; such as Vietnam, the Philippines, China, Thailand, etc. Without doing any of my own research currently, I estimate that your 25% of all Taiwanese females of marriageable age marrying Western men is grossly over-stated.

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“shawn_c”]This one is funny, too…

That there is racist too then? Why mention her nationality? What is the suggestion? Your original t-shirt is racist too? Are you suggesting there is something inherently bad about Taiwan that one has to survive it?

I reckon they are all slurs matey, and not one of them is any better than any other.

I like your teaching mug though.[/quote]

Hey Tom,

You’re right… that one could be construed as racist… but don’t you think it’s inherently less racist than the horse one? Of course, it’s all about point-of-view, but the shirt you linked to gives me the feeling of pride that your wife is Taiwanese - and not the feeling of some one-night-stand.

Oh… the T-shirt about surviving Taiwan… those five thingies in the corner are ICBM-launching trucks! I guess they’re not very clear, eh? Y’know the thousand missiles pointed at Taiwan?

Glad you liked the mug!

[quote=“shawn_c”][quote=“TomHill”][quote=“shawn_c”]This one is funny, too…

I like your teaching mug though.[/quote]

Hey Tom,

You’re right… that one could be construed as racist… but don’t you think it’s inherently less racist than the horse one? Of course, it’s all about point-of-view, but the shirt you linked to gives me the feeling of pride that your wife is Taiwanese - and not the feeling of some one-night-stand.

Oh… the T-shirt about surviving Taiwan… those five thingies in the corner are ICBM-launching trucks! I guess they’re not very clear, eh? Y’know the thousand missiles pointed at Taiwan?

Glad you liked the mug![/quote]

Hey Shawn,

Thanks for explaining the missles. They explain ‘survived.’ However I could light heartedly point out that you are therefore slurring China! Although it is pc to be anti-war, so lets sit on the fence over that one.
The horse shirt just doesn’t make any sense to me. Ride a Taiwanese, not a horse? People don’t fuck horses, so I don’t get the connection. If the shirt said ‘Taiwanese girls are easy slags,’ then we’d have ourselves a lynch mob.

As you wisely said, ‘It’s all about point of view.’

Now lets make one that says, ‘TomHill loves the Gay Gordon.’

[quote=“shawn_c”]“Tycoon”, you must first cite your statistics before I can start attacking them!

Without your sources, however, it’s clearly ascertainable what your experience with research and statistics are; we must be clear, however, because I said “the idiotic myth that a Taiwanese girl will jump all over any Western guy she sees.” Firstly, I said Taiwanese GIRL - keyword here being, “girl”. Secondly, I said “Western guy”, meaning those of European descent.

It’s not hard to guess that your “statistic” includes both males and females and the definition of “foreigner” in that case includes not only Western countries, but also countries; such as Vietnam, the Philippines, China, Thailand, etc. Without doing any of my own research currently, I estimate that your 25% of all Taiwanese females of marriageable age marrying Western men is grossly over-stated.[/quote]

Well I got the statistics from here: atimes.com/atimes/China/EJ02Ad03.html

And it seems you are correct, that in fact it refers to Taiwanese males seeking women abroad. With reasons quoted as being ‘according to availability and their spouses’ low expectations’. HAHAHA thats brilliant. Thats not much different than the accusations you are making about Western males coming to Taiwan right? Except that as you clearly state above, that the percentages mean that Taiwanese males are doing the same thing that u are claiming is a myth between western guys and Taiwanese girls, and as for sexism, surely that statistic of 106 males to 100 females is no coincidence.

Regardless, I do agree that it is a myth that Taiwanese women throw themselves at western guys. Except for me that is.

Uh…what?
How about the other posters that disagree with you?
Are we all OBVIOUSLY racist and sexist because we don’t agree with shawn_c that the shirt is racist?

You’re a Taiwanese woman who throws herself at western guys?

You’re a Taiwanese woman who throws herself at western guys?[/quote]

Maybe he is a katooey.

Seems there’s a T-shirt for everyone and everything on that site,

People going to the Olympics , I recommend the following attire cafepress.com/buy/taipei/-/p … pt_/c_666/

And for all the other fine poster here, my recommendation is… cafepress.com/buy/penis/-/pv … pt_/c_666/

Uh…what?
How about the other posters that disagree with you?
Are we all OBVIOUSLY racist and sexist because we don’t agree with shawn_c that the shirt is racist?[/quote]

No, only the people that think it’s so-called “gold” are racist and sexist.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!!

TomHill… well, who is Gay Gordon? I’ll design it for you and put it up on my link there! Haha… who is that? Y’know the slang, “to ride someone”, means to have sex! And it’s a play on words, of course… since you ride a horse… hmm… maybe I’ll make a shirt that says, “Save a Scooter, Ride a Westerner”. HAHA… now THAT would be gold. But it would be in Chinese, of course. Time to be racist! YES. (Except that, Western actually means a variety of people who grew up in the West, 西方人.) Maybe I should use the all-encompassing, “外國人” - “foreigner”. Hehe…

Tycoon… you can’t use this statistic: “Last year 25 percent of marriages involving a Taiwanese male, some 40,000 according to government statistics, were to a foreign woman…,” to back up the allegation that Taiwanese women jump all over “foreigners”! It’s not the same statistic. You should’ve said, “Taiwanese men jump all over foreign women,” or something of that sort. (Well, I’m glad that we aren’t flaming each other here. Just some friendly debating.)

Ohh… I never said Taiwanese guys don’t go to other countries to pursue females. However, if you ever saw examples of the Taiwanese guys who live here and are married to spouses that are not Taiwanese - you’ll see why they had to go abroad to find a mate. (Not implying that they mistreat their wives or are evil - other reasons.) The women agree to go to Taiwan for mostly economic reasons, obviously. Now, I’m not saying that tonnes of Western guys come to Asia to “ride”, but I’m saying that many do. I’m also saying that of those that come to live in Asia, a great number aren’t looking for steady relationships (at least at first).

So… you are saying that many Taiwanese females are attracted to you, eh?

Actually, it’s ironic that so many Taiwanese guys have to look abroad for marriage (remembering that men are like parking spaces, of course)… because amongst the Overseas Chinese communities, there’s the hearsay that Taiwan has a greater female population than men, and that it’s not hard to find a partner for marriage on this island. [And speaking from personal experience, in Taiwan, I have met many females around the age of 30 who are not married and have no prospects. In fact, many of them are past their mid-30s and seem like they’re not going to ever get married. It’s their own choice, sure - but is it really what they want? Now, I could be meeting these type of people (that I hardly ever met in Toronto, Canada) for one or both of the following reasons; I’m a couple of years away from 30 myself, and it could just be that my age means I’m meeting people at this age group, for who it’s not an abnormal phenomenon, regardless of country - or it could be because I teach English, and all the ladies at head office choose this type of lifestyle, or it’s such a type of personality that doesn’t/can’t find a partner and works in a school organization.] Hmm… very peculiar.

Mick… nice shirts, yes. The website is pretty cool, actually, and so easy to use. Even though I might have my cock up my ass - didn’t you enjoy reading all I’ve wrote?!

Shawn
If you make that “Save a scooter, ride a Westerner” shirt you will probably sell a ton of them. I don’t see it as sexist or racist at all.