Fuxing based rides (Luoma Road & Lala Shan)

Go on, someone talk to me about the Luoma Road.
I’ll be in Fuxing for a couple of days soon and thinking about doing the circuit around the reservoir. Looks about 70km (?)

Is it very hilly on the Luoma, or just rolling? (which I’m taking runs from Guanxi to the Northern Cross).

[quote=“Nuit”]Go on, someone talk to me about the Luoma Road.
I’ll be in Fuxing for a couple of days soon and thinking about doing the circuit around the reservoir. Looks about 70km (?)

Is it very hilly on the Luoma, or just rolling? (which I’m taking runs from Guanxi to the Northern Cross).[/quote]

I’ve cycled the Luoma twice and the north shore once. There is a bit of a climb up from the 7 and then there is one more decent hill to climb up to the county line but other than that yes, I would call it rolling. If you are just doing it from Fuxing then I’d say it’s quite an easy ride. And very pretty, with trees shading the road on much of the ride and lots of lake views and cool little villages along the way.The north side is even easier but equally pretty - it winds down along the reservoir much of the way. Great choice!

Might well have been you who put me onto it, it’s in My Ride thread.
Cool, sounds very doable. Weather is a bit moody today, but should pick up again tomorrow.

More pluses, I get:
To go back to Daxi for lunch.
Another viewing of the hundreds of relocated Chiang Kai-Shek statues at Cihu. I found those amusing, very ‘Anthony Gormley’.

I’ve also cycled Luoma two or three times, most recently with PaddyB, and I love that road. In fact, I passed by there yesterday on my way up Beiheng, and I thought, “If I lived in Hsinchu, this is how I’d get to the Northern Cross!” Particularly when I realized that only after Luofu does Beiheng get really exciting.

If you go, stop and have a coffee or tea at 天空咖啡, not far from the climb to the county line. Nice place, great people.

Might well have been you who put me onto it, it’s in My Ride thread.
Cool, sounds very doable. Weather is a bit moody today, but should pick up again tomorrow.

More pluses, I get:
To go back to Daxi for lunch.
Another viewing of the hundreds of relocated Chiang Kai-Shek statues at Cihu. I found those amusing, very ‘Anthony Gormley’.[/quote]

Lol. Well if that’s your bag, the gift shop is a hoot too.

But don’t go back through Daxi and Cihu. Cross the Shimen Dam at Longtan and follow the road behind the visitor’s center. Its a really lovely and quiet road that swoops along the shoreline. You will come out on the 7 right above Sanmin Village.

Great ride, that, rolling and scenic, except for the part on the #3 and #4 from Guanxi back to the foot of the dam. You’ll have fun.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … m#p1095538

That’s a rolling profile alright! Thanks for the info, all.

I’m glad you didn’t try to ride it today, or you’d have been caught in some serious rain.

Yes, the rain hit yesterday, but today was gorgeous. I shivered riding down to Luofu from Fuxing in the morning, but apart from that - :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.
There were lots of other riders out, way more than I thought for a weekday. Then I talked to some kids in one of the villages, and asked them why they weren’t at school. Then the penny dropped, today was a holiday.

About 30 folks came past me going up Luoma before I stopped at 天空咖啡. Then as I left, I pulled out in front of 3 roadies, matching red jerseys. Two of them went past me on the climb to the county line, but I got competitive and the third one stayed behind me and the heavy Surly. I was disappointed that the climb wasn’t 2km longer, as I was holding the front pair and reckoned I might have pulled them back :smiley:.

Sidestepped to Daxi along the 4 for lunch, then back to the dam (which was mobbed with folk). Really enjoyed the section from Tony Cafe onwards, and them did a circuit of the back road behind Sanmin to check out the 1963 Tuba Tribe Church. Wouldn’t look out of place in a Scottish Bailiwick.

http://www.toporoute.com/cgi-bin/bicycle.cgi reckons 102km.
Left Fuxing at 8.15, Daxi at midday, back to Fuxing at 3.45.

I decided to hit the old Sanxia-Sanmin hill for the umpteenth time and ride the north shore today for a quick afternoon ride. I think you passed me on the other side of the road just up the hill from Sanmin while I was pulled over talking on the phone and buying more time from wifey (I was in the dog-house later because I got back late and we didn’t make the lantern festival down in Jhubei). That is, unless there was another waiguoren with a LHT on the 7 this afternoon…I would have flagged you down but I was on the phone and pressed for time. Anyway, glad you enjoyed the ride. I’ll have to pick your brain about Hualien roads next time I’m out that way.

Ah, that was you! The only waiguo of the day. Think I was heading for church at that point - I missed it on the first ride up to Fuxing.

More awesomeness today, 91km of it, and far less busy on the roads. Only saw 3 other riders all day, and those on the way back to Fuxing.
Route was Fuxing up the 7 (Northern Cross) to Ba-ling, then onto the vertical 14km of side road to Shang Ba-ling and finally the La La Shan forest reserve (think giant God Trees).

Superb weather, and I loved the 7 for its easy riding. There are 2 or 3 downhill sections, including a final fast descent to Ba-ling, so the out to the junction is simple. The climb to La La Shan though is long and slow, and reminscent of the steeper parts of the Hualien side of the Central Cross. Find that low gear, and work it. Fast and fabulous return descent though, road surface is in good condition. I hung off the coat-tails of a Toyota Camry, and we were well matched - I followed him down at pace.

Timings
8.30 Fuxing
10.30 La La Shan junction
12.00 Shang Ba-ling and lunch
12.30 Leave Shang-Ba-ling
1.30 – 3.00 Walking at La La Shan
3.45 La La Shan junction
5.30 Fuxing

I was pretty much on the go all day, aside from the short lunch stop, and a 6.30 start would’ve given more time in the day.
The Fuxing Youth Activity Centre is a great base for these rides, and good value if you can pay $1k for a 3 bed-room with no other occupants (it’s been pretty quiet here the last few days).

The Northern Cross

A God Tree

Came across this accident scene on the 7. Wing mirror ripped off. Man in red vocal and unhappy, they were arguing over compensation as I rode past.

Damn, climbing up to Lalashan, nice work! I’ve moto’d it up there numerous times but never cycled it. I’ve always thought of doing it, but that would be a beast of a day ride from Sanxia, with those two additional climbs up to Sanmin and Fuxing tacked on. That cypress grove is lovely though. If you fancy big trees and brutal rides you ought to head out to Smangus next. That’s a ride I’m itching to do once I shave some weight off my bike (and its engine :slight_smile: ).

Nice ride and photos! I’m glad to see you took advantage of the two days with the best weather. I’ve never been up to the Lalashan trees on scooter or bicycle, but if you can get up there on a Trucker, I ought to be able to get up there on my Tricross, right? :pray:

Another ride in that vicinity I’ve got my eye on is the 桃113 up toward Yulao (宇老山), the highest climb on the road to Smangus. I don’t know how rideable that road is, but in my mind it sounds epic. I just wish I lived closer to Fuxing! When I rode Beiheng on Tuesday, it took me 44 km just to get to Sanmin. Starting from Daxi like you did would be much better–I’ve never even ridden up that section of the 7, only down.

It’s rideable and highly recommended. I suggest doing it like this from Zhudong: goo.gl/maps/2Xg4c

Also, if you are in the Baling area, riding up to Guanghua on the opposite side from Shangbaling. There’s a wonderful hot spring at the bottom of the gorge although on weekends there are often quite a few people around.

I think that ride should be called “Zhudong to Taipei over Every Possible Hill”. :slight_smile:

Why do you suggest starting from Zhudong? It seems like everybody goes from Yulao to Baling, not the other way around. I have done the ride from Zhudong to Yulao before, but not the connection from there. Is it too steep to ride up?

I still haven’t done that ride from Zhulun over the hill to Chajiao, and I don’t think I’ve even seen the road from there to the 7. I’ll have to try that once the weather clears up! It would be awfully nice to get to the 7 without taking the 7乙.

I think that ride should be called “Zhudong to Taipei over Every Possible Hill”. :slight_smile:

Why do you suggest starting from Zhudong? It seems like everybody goes from Yulao to Baling, not the other way around. I have done the ride from Zhudong to Yulao before, but not the connection from there. Is it too steep to ride up?

I still haven’t done that ride from Zhulun over the hill to Chajiao, and I don’t think I’ve even seen the road from there to the 7. I’ll have to try that once the weather clears up! It would be awfully nice to get to the 7 without taking the 7乙.[/quote]

I have only done it on motorcycle, a couple of years ago, but I distinctly remember that the climb up to Yulao from that Sanguang road is much more drastic than the climb up from Jianshi. It’s pretty gentle and rolling as you follow the valley and then you basically “climb up the wall” to Yulao in one series of very nasty switchbacks. I remember it taxing my poor old motorcycle severely, which I don’t recall on the handful of times I’ve ridden up from Jianshi.

As for that road you said you’ve never seen, that is a bit of singletrack that goes from the Dongyangshan road to where the Bei-113 ends up between Chajiao and Wuliao. That’s another one on my to-do list. As one might have expected, Master Feiren has ridden it. What’s the deal with that one Feiren? It looks pretty cool from the pics on Google earth…

That’s right. The road from Sanguang up to Yulao is very steep. It’s rideable but hard work. Actually, there’s an interesting alternative called the Mamei Road but that is unpaved and even steeper.

As for Bei-113 to Dongyanshan Rd., this was once a bike hike through the jungle but was graded a few years back with some gravel thrown down. It’s rideable all the way through but is deteriorating. It is easier from Dongyanshan Rd. because it is downhill. If you have a bit of off road experience, this is no problem. The whole point is of course to avoid the traffic between Sanmin and Luofu.

Here’s a map that shows the Mamei Rd. and another connecting road that may be of interest to people riding the Luoma.

goo.gl/maps/HcFDh

BTW, Nuit, I wanted to mention that I finally traversed from 193 near Mizhan to Shuilian back in October. A gem of a road. Thanks for pointing the way.

[quote=“Feiren”]That’s right. The road from Sanguang up to Yulao is very steep. It’s rideable but hard work. Actually, there’s an interesting alternative called the Mamei Road but that is unpaved and even steeper.

As for Bei-113 to Dongyanshan Rd., this was once a bike hike through the jungle but was graded a few years back with some gravel thrown down. It’s rideable all the way through but is deteriorating. It is easier from Dongyanshan Rd. because it is downhill. If you have a bit of off road experience, this is no problem. The whole point is of course to avoid the traffic between Sanmin and Luofu.

Here’s a map that shows the Mamei Rd. and another connecting road that may be of interest to people riding the Luoma.

goo.gl/maps/HcFDh

BTW, Nuit, I wanted to mention that I finally traversed from 193 near Mizhan to Shuilian back in October. A gem of a road. Thanks for pointing the way.[/quote]

Ah funny you should mention that little Luoma-Jianshi road as it’s another one I’ve been curious about since I noticed it in my map book awhile back. I’ve never explored that section of the 120 east of Jianshi either, as I always crossed the river and headed up to Yulao and beyond. That is going to be one of my very next rides I think. Anything I should know about it?

The road was a bit overgrown last time I rode it, so don’t turn back thinking you are some kind of abandoned road. I remember that coming down to Luoma was very steep. Jianshi side should be easier.