Gaining ROC Citizenship as a Singaporean

Hey there, my mom is a Taiwanese(currently still is) , we have a house here in Taiwan and everything but i’m born Singaporean with a SG passport. My mom did not apply for any identification cards of sorts when i was under 18. Right now i’ve been living in Taiwan for the 5th-6th year (4 years uni, 1 year Work visa) and i’m devastated to know that i cannot actually apply for Permanent residency just because i am considered ROC naturally at birth.

Right now i’m in the phase of hanging on to a void period of 6 months to “look for a job” and if i want to continue staying in Taiwan, the only way is to get a work visa OR via marriage, which is not something i want to consider. Is there any way i can work around of me keeping my Singapore Passport yet owning a Taiwanese Identity?

Please advise…anyone…

Does she have a household registration? Or, do you have any lineal relative with a household registration?

Taiwan’s allows dual nationality but on condition that one must first have ROC citizenship BEFORE gaining another citizenship which is pretty stupid

For your case you need to first give up your SG citizenship before getting ROC citizenship

Not if his mother is Taiwanese. Ethnic Chinese from America, Hong Kong, Canada, etc. do not have to give up their citizenship in order to claim Taiwanese citizenship.

As long as he’s the “correct” race/ethnic background, he’s golden.

And, you’re responding to a thread that’s already two years old.

The OP made their post and quickly evaporated into the ether, never to be seen again.

Oh…btw…welcome to Forumosa. Enjoy the Flob!

1 Like