Gang Violence in XiMenDing

A bunch of us Canuckleheads get together for some hockey every Tuesday night and finish off the evening with the swilling of some street beers and the swapping of stories in the main square of the 'ding. Last night the conversation turned towards inept cops as one of my buddies began relating a story about how he got jumped by 4 Taiwanese with bats while flagging a cab by Living Hell Mall a couple of years ago, and us old timers basically saying to the n00bs don’t get involved in anything you see going down cuz there are likely 20 heros about to arrive.

On cue, 4 or 5 local high school aged students chase 2 or 3 others into the square (in front of Watsons) and the dance begins. And we, true to our word, just watch. But as it starts to get out of hand (4 on 1) we start to step towards the melee.

Before we get 1 and a half steps, 3 car loads of punks (at least 10) jump out with pipes the rampage becomes something you’d only see in movies like Clockwork Orange. Remember, we are right across form a big police station.

Which, after hearing us yell for them (jo yi yi JO YI YI), slowly empties and Taipei’s finest begin meandering, slowly ambling towards the scene. The beatings are still going on downed guys and the cops are still tortoising their way over. Finally the bitches see them coming and flee for their cars and into the 'ding. We are yelling at the the thin blue line and pointing at the cars. One has began to back up and three cops pull their guns and surround it. One other cop, gun also drawn, steps in front of the 2nd car, not allowing it to go forward lest it be through him and the standoff begins. Hero ain’t getting out of the car and cop isn’t moving from in front.

Remember earlier in the story, where we were talking about not getting involved in things? One of our young players decides to take it on himself to get the guys outta car number two and starts reefing on the passenger door, slamming it into one of those cement stanchions that border the square. Cop still there with gun drawn, watching a big nose get involved. We are all yelling at our buddy to get the fack outta there and after a few more door slams, he finally gets the message. But not all of it.

He’s got it now though. We lit him up for his stupidity. He is lucky the cop didn’t put a cap in his ass.

And before any of you go all Canuckist on this story, he is our only Yank on Ice.

Anyway, crazy shit. I left as the ambulance was pulling up.

I saw something very similar a few months back in Ximending and I understand from Taiwanese friends that it is pretty common. Like you said, it escalates very quickly into serious violence. I’d stay well away.

The cops had to be wondering what was going on there.

How did this end? Did they get out of the car?

This makes me proud. :America: ‘Automatic Overreaction’ is our trademark! For some of us, it’s all we got.

Did he happen to be drinking Budweiser beforehand? Bud Heavies are notorious fightin’ beers!

How did this end? Did they get out of the car?

This makes me proud. :America: ‘Automatic Overreaction’ is our trademark! For some of us, it’s all we got.

Did he happen to be drinking Budweiser beforehand? Bud Heavies are notorious fightin’ beers![/quote]

Cops did get them out, searched the cars, grabbed the pipes (I’d guess 7 in total), totally obliterating any fingerprints and possibly screwing up blood and dna evidence in the process. We pulled one cop over to find the most injured xiao lo mua barely conscious. If my buddy’s previous experience is any indication, the 30 cameras will suddenly not have been working and bats? What bats?

As for the patriotism, I think he’s just young, dumb and full of come hitherness. I doubt his passport has anything to do with it.

As for getting involved, obviously don’t. Ever!!!

And if they ever involve you, get their cell phones away from them.

About what time was did this actually occur after the “swilling of some street beers and the swapping of stories in the main square of the 'ding”.

About 12:30AM. Why?

About 12:30AM. Why?[/quote]
I was wondering the same thing… wondering if the MRT was still open.

More likely Stellas…the Infamous Wife-Beater beer of Champions!

=

Crazy indeed, but sadly the above just ruined this thread for ChewEy.

No reason, just curious how many beers into the evening.

No reason, just curious how many beers into the evening.[/quote]

I think you misunderstood the story. We did not get involved, but for your curiosity’s sake, we’d been standing around for about 20 minutes. So, maybe a beer and a half in?

In before the clueless start going on about this all being a lie, and how there’s no violence in the wan’.

For those of us that have experienced or witnessed it, it’s quite real. A ton of anger/hatred inside the average taiwanese punk and they love to gang up on one or two people and pretend they are men. Sad but true.

The only part that seems strange to me is the part about the police, but I know Taipei police are better actors than their lower island counterparts. I’m surprised the police didn’t simply turn around, walk away and pretend they didn’t see it.

The ironic part is that if a foreigner ever did manage to survive and ended up kicking the snot out of a few punks all the cameras would miraculously work and no film would be accidentally lost.

Glad you guys stayed safe and kept the newby out of trouble. All it takes is one crack in your skull from a bat/pipe and it might be game over for you.

In my first or second year in Taiwan, down Chungle-side, two opposing crews of roughnecks were walking towards each other on the street outside some club. About 30 or so on each side.

I thought I should play UN Peacekeeper and walked in the middle of the two crews and told em “bats down fellas, nuffink a chat can’t sort out”. One of the bigger thugs picked me up by my belt and tossed me to the side. Thereafter they went at it, bats, chains, knives and all.

I have a thug to thank for my life.

And I still don’t know why I try to stop fights… :doh:

Anyways, my :2cents: These days I’d watch, or walk away.

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]In my first or second year in Taiwan, down Chungle-side, two opposing crews of roughnecks were walking towards each other on the street outside some club. About 30 or so on each side.

I thought I should play UN Peacekeeper and walked in the middle of the two crews and told em “bats down fellas, nuffink a chat can’t sort out”. One of the bigger thugs picked me up by my belt and tossed me to the side. Thereafter they went at it, bats, chains, knives and all.

I have a thug to thank for my life.

And I still don’t know why I try to stop fights… :doh:

Anyways, my :2cents: These days I’d watch, or walk away.[/quote]

Were you nucking futs?

I was. And I vowed to never to step in the way again of fights. But have, once or twice. Smaller ones though.

Taiwan is a safe and peaceful place. The only violence in Taiwan is violence carried out by foreigners who disturb the good order of society. You only need to watch the news to see this is completely and utterly true.

I even recently made 4 bing lang chewing gangsters dance in the street in front of me with their knives and batons in hand, and I have it on video as proof. A few Peisays and a shedding of my western ideals was all it took.

Peace and Harmony to all.

A bunch of kids with bats scare you? Worst stuff happen in England and the US daily. Gangsters - they wish they were gangsters. Gangsters have money and influence. These kids have poor education, no style, probably little money and those diseases you get from not being able to get a classy girlfriend. Oh and probably a criminal record. What they don’t have is a job and a future. Gangsters? Not a chance.

Yep - a bunch of kids with bats scares me.
True, a bunch of kids with guns and knives also scares me, but the end result with the use of bats is the same as one with guns and knives. Except that a swifter. less prolonged death occurs when you are stabbed or shot, whereas a bludgeoning usually requires a good 20 minutes of bleeding into the cranium.
They are all one of the same in any case. Pussies who can’t manage a one-to-one, fairly balanced fisty-cuffs with a gentleman’s handshake to round it all off.

There are many ways to get out of fights. My best one is run away. I practice that every morning and it also helps with my other sports. I tried Kung Fu but those swords are difficult to carry around.