Gangs of New York

I read the book before I saw the movie, which I recommend as you’ll have a better understanding of that place in time and the lingo. One of the most enjoyable parts of the movie was hearing that 19th century slang put into use. Like Sandman said, the book is an interesting read even if it is far too journalistic in style and mostly sensationalist claptrap (the story of the gangster Mose who used his cigar puffs to power his sailboat across the Hudson is a particularly ludicrous case in unbelievability). Scorsese didn’t actually draw that much from the book in terms of story - the plot of the movie has nothing to do with the book - he just drew elements of the social background and the names of the gangs to provide the backdrop for his film. The Draft Riots really happened and he took that narrative straight from the book, though.

Ooo yeah! The Warriors! I loved that movie! It’s a classic from the late '70s about this gang that gets framed for murdering the leader of all the gangs of NYC and have to fight their way back home through the territory of rival gangs. The writer actually based the story on an ancient Greek tale of an army that got trapped in enemy territory and had to fight their way back to their native city in Greece.

Finally saw it. Didn’t want to. Checked out the DVD, which has all Chinese menus. You can choose from no subtitles to Chinese subtitles. I put it on and it started with some kind of fight. Then I fell asleep. When I woke up, it looked like the same fight going on only an hour later. My wife was into it I guess, she said, “Is this a really movie?” I said, “a true story.” Not answering her question but correcting her English.

So, I still don’t know if it’s any good or not and don’t really care to find out. I don’t like criminals, Leo, or New York.

I thought it was childish rubbish. Daniel Day Lewis was exceptional, as usual.

I disagree. Daniel Day Lewis had one of the most ridiculously bad New Yawk accents (sounds more like Boston) I’ve ever heard. And he looked like that guy on the pizza box!

One of the trailers on the DVD is mindboggling. It’s a has-to-be-seen-to-be-believed trailer for a B horror movie about a one eyed alien that spews green stuff everywhere when they try to hack it to bits. I’m not kidding.

Well there you go, then ! Pants all round !

just out of curiosity, why are italians called guineas? where does this term come from?