Gangster & Mob films

Not sure if it’s a gangster movie, but French Connection 2 is fantastic.

That film is filled with misogy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/elizabeth-mcgovern-de-niro-and-me-109588.html%3Famp

New Jack city and City of God.

Unfortunately, NJC is being “revamped” and probably will be out next year or 2021. It’s a film that should not be remade.

The Killer
The Departed
God of Gamblers
A Better Tomorrow

Seven Samurai

3 Likes

I really wanted to like that one, but for some reason it fell flat for me.

so a film thats portraying the gangsters as the low lifes they really are should be concerned with being liberal and feminist or what?

the way it shows hows the characters really are crooks is one of the things thats great about the movie. the godfather is heavily praised but its image of the classic honorable gangster is phony.

it didn’t grab me at first either. i didn’t even cotton on that the old man segments were a dream sequence on first viewing.

Sound a bit triggered.

To point out the abuse of women, one doesn’t have to be a liberal or a feminist. Just one who doesn’t find a man raping a woman or using her as some sexual extension as entertainment.

not mad, just find your comment to be virtue signaling childish nonsense.
murder can be entertainment but rape means you can’t even watch the movie anymore? oh i forgot murder is ok!

Maybe I’ll have to give it another chance. I saw it when it first came out, so it’s been a while.

More projection than the film was show on.

do you also skip movies about war, racism, the holocaust ect or is it just the ones with bad treatment against women that you take a stand a against?

2 Likes

Lobby passive aggressive insults because you disagree with my opinion. You are welcome to challenge my view/opinion but the passive aggressive insults? Keep them to yourself.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about why I saw the movie filled with misogy, then I welcome but coming at me sideways isn’t going to inspire anything short of a flame war.

So, I suggest you correct that attitude and try this again.

1 Like

using 3 gifs to insult me but you say i am the passive aggressive one with an attitude? thats pretty funny.

and i didn’t disagree with you. noodles straight up rapes his life long love interest after she rejects him. its not the only rape in the movie either. him and his gang are misogynistic no doubt about it.

i was just questioning you as to why having rape in a film makes it unwatchable? why that disqualifies it from being ‘entertainment’ as you said. i’ve already brought up the point that there are worse things in movies. what is your logic? so far you have not even come close to giving an answer.

1 Like

The gifs are to express. And they are pretty straightforward.

Where did I say the film was unwatchable? All I said was: the film was filled with misogy and posted an interview from McGowan. It is your assumption that has led you to believe I think it’s “unwatchable”.

Do I think murder is entertaining? No. But since we are in a gangster/mob movie thread I must think it is to some extent. Personally, I don’t watch violent films, unless necessary because of my job, or they are done by certain directors, like Sorcese. Films that use violence or language in a gratuitous manner (like Tarrentino films, althought I can appreciate his talent to an extent) do nothing for me. They aren’t entertaining at all.

As for OUTIA, I don’t feel the rape scenes moved the story forward. At least the graphic nature of the second one, which I found gratuitous.

Aka movies catering to (straight) guys. The only reason why these movies are popular is because they are violent.

1 Like

yea to express insults, towards me.

here, not the same words but basically the same meaning.

and to some extent saying

conveys that message. a film being filled with misogyny doesn’t make it bad anymore than being filled with murder does.

murder = ok for gangsters. rape = not ok for gangsters. ok good we cleared that up.

the whole movie is about a guy who did bad things looking back on his life with regret. i mean on top of your choices of what is allowed to pass as entertainment not making any logical sense i think the point of the movie went way over your head.

2 Likes

so what are you saying? only straight guys can be violent?

what nonsense.

2 Likes
1 Like

The gifs are not really to insult you. Seems like you might not be familiar with gif culture.

I don’t know why my opinion about the films aren’t logical. Are you a Vulcan?*

I don’t think this is about what more or better. I can see nuances or grays in the world, in films. Sounds like the idea of seeing something misogynistic touched a cord in you. That’s cool. That can be discussed. But all that drama pre this discussion was hyperbole IMO.

*(Yea that’s a jab and I own it )

@Rockefeller , could you please split this thread? Maybe to the Temporary dungeon? I see a er, um…budding discussion arisin’. :wink:

Or the only reason a straight guy likes theses movies is for the violence, either way… nonsense.

1 Like

:eye:

1 Like