Gangsters rule?

Last Sunday evening, I was driving in Jong He after a trip to the County side.
When waiting at the intersection to cross the bridge to Taipei City, I saw a few cars in my back-mirror approaching at high speed. The first one hit a car which was waiting at my left side around 20 meters behind me.
The second one hit my car on the back side pushing it away…
The third car went through and hit a car in front of me.
…and last but not least, a gun was held out of the window of the third car when driving bye… :noway:

Shocked , I stepped out of the car to see the damage. 2 cars and mine were scratched. I hoped that the drivers from the other cars would call the police, but one of them who was speaking a bit of English told me to continue driving… EUH?
He mentionned not to involve in MOB stuff…
So, I have the license plate number of the car who hit me, but if I talk to the police, I might be in deep shit yes?

Will this be part of your stupid upcoming reactions of “Welcome to Taiwan”?
I lived in a kind of hood, but police was ar least giving protection. It seems that police is taking the mob side here no?

Yuurgh!

I guess if you have the number and call it in, it’s up to the cops to do something about it. Make sure you fill out one of those bits of essential paper though. Fuck the gangsters, law is law and they shouldn’t be above it. In any case, the chances are they, like most wankers in Taiwan, are gangster wannabes. I’d also mention seeing a gun.

HG

I think the major concern here is the potential leakage of the OP’s identity back to the gangsters. I’d say if that was no concern then it should be reported right away.

Look after #1 first.

it’s easier if you just consider police in Taiwan to be the equivalent of cheapo, low paid, high school dropout security guards in Western countries, it’s the same level of disinterest and impotence, except here they’re massively overpaid… They’ll generally hang around a bit and try to look semi official in their uniforms, but if any crime actually happens they can’t actually be expected to actually do anything about it… if it involves gangsters you can forget about it, they will, if you report it…

besides “the law” only applies to people who can’t afford the correct hong bao for the correct officer/politician… the only guarantee you get with Taiwan police is that they will always take the path of least resistance… whatever it takes to get back to playing mahjhong and drinking tea…

:cop: — “I saw nothing…”

If your insurance coverage has hit-and-run under it…I would suggest reporting it (leaving out the details of the license plate number)…and get a claim to have your car fixed…

I don’t see the purpose of reporting it to the police…I mean, seriously, what can THEY do? Unless you plan to take the case to small-claims court, which I think is more or less ineffective in Taiwan…

I think that if you have fully comprehensive insurance you’re set… but wait until the end of the year before putting in your bodywork claim. If you’re not sure what cover you have, call your insurance company and tell them you were hit and run and that you have a license #. I wouldn’t bother telling them about the other details, high speed chase, guns etc. If they say you’re on your own, then you really are on your own. The cops aren’t going to be of any help at all.
I was hit and run maybe ten years ago. The cops gave me the owner’s info and let me go sort it out myself, which I did. I recall hearing a few years later that they were to be strictly forbidden from giving out that kind of personal info, so I doubt it would be so easy now. Not that you’re going to negotiating any kind of reasonable settlement with the scumbags who hit you anyway…

So lets bitch about the lack of law and order, gutless/useless cops and then turn a blind eye when something happens?

Okay. :unamused:

HG

I would (sadly) have to go with what the majority of posters here said: Forget about it! The police here are very laid back (I don’t wanna use a more offensive term as they might trace this post) and they won’t do anything that involves any work, not mentioning gangstas who they won’t touch with a 10 foot pole.

Count your losses and move on. Since you didn’t mention anything, I assume no one got hurt? SOMETHING to be greatful for? :s

The scratches and bumps on the car are not the issue. I got the full coverage and the car will look like brand new.
I am only asking myself if I should act like a sissy and not report it in as there is no gain anyway, or let them go.This is a kind of aggression you would see in movies or in the hood in certain cities, but not expected to be as transparent in Taipei no?

The guys face with the gun was not a youngster, and not hiding it while waving his piece only shows believing being truly “untouchables”.
I met a few of these would-be

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]So lets bitch about the lack of law and order, gutless/useless cops and then turn a blind eye when something happens?[/quote]And your suggested course of action is… what exactly?

[quote=“ceevee369”]The scratches and bumps on the car are not the issue. I got the full coverage and the car will look like brand new.
I am only asking myself if I should act like a sissy and not report it in as there is no gain anyway, or let them go.This is a kind of aggression you would see in movies or in the hood in certain cities, but not expected to be as transparent in Taipei no?

The guys face with the gun was not a youngster, and not hiding it while waving his piece only shows believing being truly “untouchables”.
I met a few of these would-be’s in the past on the street walking directly upwards me, but aside calling me shit or whatever nice name, they did step aside.

As for the cops, I neither believe they would help. Imagine the license plate belongs to “someone” they protect…
For once, I wished to have a Magnum in my possession and acting like Dirty Harry…[/quote]

I agree with HGC. I report any serious crime (and make sure I get receipts) because no matter how ineffective it may be, it pushes up the crime statistics which are currently woefully underestimated. Maybe if I end up in a ditch some day with two broken legs you can say, ‘I told you so!’ but until then at least I feel like I’m doing SOMETHING. And remember, folks: people who have to talk big aren’t big at all. Awful lot of Taiwanese talking big, 'nuff said.

Kudos to you for that. Yes, at the bare minimum it generates statistics but otoh everyone is already fully aware the statistics do not reflect the reality. I won’t say ‘I told you so’, but I won’t be very surprised either.

[quote=“ceevee369”]Last Sunday evening, I was driving in Zhonghe after a trip to the County side.
When waiting at the intersection to cross the bridge to Taipei City, I saw a few cars in my back-mirror approaching at high speed. The first one hit a car which was waiting at my left side around 20 meters behind me.
The second one hit my car on the back side pushing it away…
The third car went through and hit a car in front of me.
…and last but not least, a gun was held out of the window of the third car when driving bye… :noway:

Shocked , I stepped out of the car to see the damage. 2 cars and mine were scratched. I hoped that the drivers from the other cars would call the police, but one of them who was speaking a bit of English told me to continue driving… EUH?
He mentionned not to involve in MOB stuff…
So, I have the license plate number of the car who hit me, but if I talk to the police, I might be in deep shit yes?

Will this be part of your stupid upcoming reactions of “Welcome to Taiwan”?
I lived in a kind of hood, but police was ar least giving protection. It seems that police is taking the mob side here no?[/quote]

Report it, this your excuse to leave Taiwan … your company doesn’t want to be involved in the killing of a foreign expat employee.

Use the chance … :laughing:

BTW, you’ve been to the county and you didn’t come in to say hello … hmmm … fellow country men … bah.

Report it. I would. These people should not be allowed to get away with this kind of behaviour. Not reporting them just allows them to get away with more and more incidents like this and one day someone is going to get seriously hurt.
Even if the police don’t bother to do anything, at least you can rest assured that you have done your part as a responsible citizen, unlike the other chicken-shit muppets who were involved.
I know that there are potential “risks” with reporting, but by and large these are mostly perceived and not actual.

These are just scumbag pricks with no real backbone - they need to drive around in cheap second hand cars behind handguns to feel important.
They don’t even deserve the respect which should be afforded to real gangsters who at least try to keep their dealings to themselves without endangering the general public.

I live in yong he. Any particular reg plate I should look out for? :wink:

Blah Blah Blah Yackity Shmackity.

The legal system here doesn’t work the same way as back home but then again, we all know that right?

The GangSTARS and the Police have a balanced harmony together. See: Guan Yu aka Guan Gong.

Personally, I was at a dinner that had a good number of participants who were ‘proud’ members of a group and while practically the other half of the percentage were Policemen. There was an argument after quite alot of drinking and the Police were bitch slapping these dudes around with words. The gangsters said sweet fuck all. In fact, in my humble opinion, the gangsters looked like they were being scolded by Paw.

Fact is that if the Police want to; they can raise a stink. Of course if the troubles (loss of extra coin) outweighs the problem then you won’t be seeing much done about it.

In the Western world you don’t see much of this balance but it’s there. The Cops will do their job backhome because the ‘good’ guys far outweigh the bad and there’s a deep sense of justice through action and not words.

[quote=“M0NSTER”]Blah Blah Blah Yackity Shmackity.

The legal system here doesn’t work the same way as back home but then again, we all know that right?

The GangSTARS and the Police have a balanced harmony together. See: Guan Yu aka Guan Gong.

Personally, I was at a dinner that had a good number of participants who were ‘proud’ members of a group and while practically the other half of the percentage were Policemen. There was an argument after quite alot of drinking and the Police were bitch slapping these dudes around with words. The gangsters said sweet fuck all. In fact, in my humble opinion, the gangsters looked like they were being scolded by Paw.

Fact is that if the Police want to; they can raise a stink. Of course if the troubles (loss of extra coin) outweighs the problem then you won’t be seeing much done about it.

In the Western world you don’t see much of this balance but it’s there. The Cops will do their job backhome because the ‘good’ guys far outweigh the bad and there’s a deep sense of justice through action and not words.[/quote]

Best response to this topic I’ve ever seen :bravo:

Now that we are talking about police action … about a month or so ago we had some action here right in front of my store. A ‘new neighbour’ had abviuosly complained to the Taipei county (KMT) government that around his new renovated house the surroundings made his property lose value. All other people involved here agreed on that he had done so.

So, one day a police officer showed up and mumbled something about removing the bench in front of my store by next day. Nothing official, no papers nothing. So, next day comes and a bunch of police about twelve joined another group of ‘officials’ into enforcing the removal of ‘illegal’ objects that probaly were in the way of passers by under the covered sidewalk. My next door neighbour, the bookstore next door and another neighbour on the other side and the store, warehouis on the corner had to remove all these things. 5 total out of a whole street. Strange … further down the road and across the street nothing was touched … just four houses to right of the renovated building and the left next door building. But police was everywhere to prevent a riot from the involved parties. I managed to accomplish a big stink and was actually the only idiot that did it, calling them gestapo and nazis, KMT gangsters and so forth. I actually managed to get an ‘official’ to talk to me and I tried to get some official papers, court rulings or other, laws … something on paper that warned me in advance and told me that it was illegal to have a bench there. Than she, the not so bad looking girln ‘official’ told me there was nothing to be found on paper but that it was the "China’ law. I responded with “CHINA” ? where the hell you think you are? in the post DPP China, ruled by the KMT? You dumb women! They actually filmed and photographed the whole thing, and not one but three or four police officers did so … that’s what police is doing in Taiwan.

So, now my next action will be photograping and documenting all illegal construction, parked cars, scooters … traffic violations, well all that goes ‘unnoticed’ by the POLICE. Bought a nice digital cam to do this.

Probably the next door neighbours’ new house is not much worth although they removed all the illegal objects, it’s still for sale and they ask 36 million for a three story house … moronic rich bastard, probably bribed the officials and police to make them remove all the stuff.

The best thing is and that’s something I’ve to admire the Taiwanese for … just undergo it, don’t mind, do as they ask and … start over three days later putting ‘illegal’ objects on the sidewalk.

[quote=“belgian pie”]Now that we are talking about police action … about a month or so ago we had some action here right in front of my store. A ‘new neighbour’ had abviuosly complained to the Taipei county (KMT) government that around his new renovated house the surroundings made his property lose value. All other people involved here agreed on that he had done so.

So, one day a police officer showed up and mumbled something about removing the bench in front of my store by next day. Nothing official, no papers nothing. So, next day comes and a bunch of police about twelve joined another group of ‘officials’ into enforcing the removal of ‘illegal’ objects that probaly were in the way of passers by under the covered sidewalk. My next door neighbour, the bookstore next door and another neighbour on the other side and the store, warehouis on the corner had to remove all these things. 5 total out of a whole street. Strange … further down the road and across the street nothing was touched … just four houses to right of the renovated building and the left next door building. But police was everywhere to prevent a riot from the involved parties. I managed to accomplish a big stink and was actually the only idiot that did it, calling them gestapo and nazis, KMT gangsters and so forth. I actually managed to get an ‘official’ to talk to me and I tried to get some official papers, court rulings or other, laws … something on paper that warned me in advance and told me that it was illegal to have a bench there. Than she, the not so bad looking girln ‘official’ told me there was nothing to be found on paper but that it was the "China’ law. I responded with “China” ? where the hell you think you are? in the post DPP China, ruled by the KMT? You dumb women! They actually filmed and photographed the whole thing, and not one but three or four police officers did so … that’s what police is doing in Taiwan.

So, now my next action will be photograping and documenting all illegal construction, parked cars, scooters … traffic violations, well all that goes ‘unnoticed’ by the POLICE. Bought a nice digital cam to do this.

Probably the next door neighbours’ new house is not much worth although they removed all the illegal objects, it’s still for sale and they ask 36 million for a three story house … moronic rich bastard, probably bribed the officials and police to make them remove all the stuff.

The best thing is and that’s something I’ve to admire the Taiwanese for … just undergo it, don’t mind, do as they ask and … start over three days later putting ‘illegal’ objects on the sidewalk.[/quote]

Do it one better. Make sure that all of new neibour’s renovations are legal and per TPE building codes.

[quote=“Elegua”]
Do it one better. Make sure that all of new neibour’s renovations are legal and per TPE building codes.[/quote]… and call the cops if the jackhammering goes on one minute beyond the noise deadline.

Don’t acquiesce to anyone unless they show proper credentials and relevant supporting documents that pertain to whatever the issue is at hand. From what i see belgian, you were merely bullied into taking away chairs whatever by people without the relevant authority. This would need to be ordered by city Counci and appropriate paperwork should have accompanied the gestapo. F*&k em I say. Deemand their name card, to see their IDS, and a copy of the 'order to move' stuff. If they don't, politely ask them to f%*k off!
As for the OP, go ahead and report it, make as much of a stink as you can. Dont be intimidated.