Gardening tips

Hi,

If you are interested: (Taipei)

• place to buy seed (about 100 different choices - 30 NT$ each, bargain if you buy a lot) have beets, mini carrot, radish (many kind), lettuce (many kind) eand so on
    TAIWAN AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT CO., LTD
    Address: No. 86, Sec. 1, Tihwa Street, Taipei, Taiwan
    Tel: 886-2-25562365, 25564253
    business.com.tw/com/com.asp?id=i10755kfj8lsaq1

• place to buy vegetables seedling ready to transplant
    Shilin Food Market (across Jiantan MRT station) Stand 41 a the back of the market, Chengde road side. Very cheap… open mostly in morning (go early for better choice)

Bon jardinage!
Phil

How to make pesticide at home (for smokers only):

theburningforest.blogspot.com/se … /gardening

Here’s another recipe for you non-smokers:
instructables.com/id/Make-an … m-vegetab/

Hi,

I need bamboo sticks for support and to buid a structure for my garden. 2-3 meters long.

I know many people just cut them around in the wild around. Well, I don’t have any transportation… and I would rather pay (reasonnable price) to get some… Anybody can help? I need something like 25-30 sticks.

My garden in near Zhuwei MRT station. Damshui line.

Thanks a lot !

:slight_smile:
Philou

I’ve seen them in the Jianguo flower market in the tool sections. Not cheap, though, at all. And not bamboo but plastic-covered wood.
Maybe not too bad for your needs. Me, I cut mine from the edge of my plot, which is just as well, as I have around 50 tomato plants to tie up this week or next!

Been having a lot of luck lately with the habeneros, Thai and Chinese chilis, as well as some sweet peppers I tasted at a market once. Blessed thing about Taiwan is that you can practically drop seeds of whatever you like to eat into dirt and the things grow. Dill, oregano, basil and thyme have also been growing like mad, although my rosemary bush finally kicked the bucket after 2 very good years of helping me make roasted birds of various sorts taste good.

Hi,

It’s summer… hot and not much grow in the garden.

I find myself getting confused about when to seed or transplant… and feel I am always one or two month late…
I tried to get information in Chinese… but my Chinese is too pour…and informations seem to be confusing

How about making a chart ? What to seed (S) for the 3 Taiwan parts (TW North, TW Centre, TW South) month by month?
Every body can add infos.
I’ll later make a chart on Excel …available for everybody
Thanks
Phil

January
TW North: Beetroots, Lettuce, Cabbage, Tomatoes, Carrots, Parsley,
TW Centre:
TW South:

Febraury
TW North:
TW Centre:
TW South:

March
TW North:
TW Centre:
TW South:

April
TW North:
TW Centre:
TW South:

May
TW North:
TW Centre:
TW South:

June
TW North:
TW Centre:
TW South:

July
TW North:
TW Centre:
TW South:

August
TW North:
TW Centre:
TW South:

September
TW North:
TW Centre:
TW South:

October
TW North:
TW Centre:
TW South:

November
TW North:
TW Centre:
TW South:

December
TW North:
TW Centre:
TW South:

I’ve looked at some of the links here but am as yet to see grass seed being sold.
Does anyone have any info on where I could buy it?
There are a few bare patches on the lawn.
Thanks
RJL

Ask at a local garden center, they will know. That’s what I did back when I had a lawn.

Hi,

With our new wood house built, I now have to think about a garden.
I’ve read this entire thread but I am still at a loss of where to start.
Someone told me to plant carrots at this time of year, but don’t they need dry conditions? Won’t they die of waterlog if I plant them in Keelung county?
Should I just plant things in the grassy ground or do I need to prepare some other dirt for planting vegetables and herbs?
Our land is full of caterpillars right now, how do I share the land with them?
Does anyone know a good book or website about gardening in Taiwan (Chinese or English)?

I have three 16 squarefoot raised beds. I generally follow the “square foot gardening”(Google that) guidelines when I plant my vegetables. Right now I’ve got corn, beans, egg plant, spinach, tomatoes, cabbage, potatoes, papaya, lettuce and carrots growing. In the fall, almost anything will grow.

Are there any fellow gardeners in Taichung? I’ve got some lettuce and tomatoes ready to be picked. Maybe we could trade/barter veggies?

Kent

applied quickly to selected

Just grow what ever your next door neighboure is growing, grass is always greener over the face.

We have a bit of area along the side of the fence and we have people asking for permission to grow vegies so we let them. And guess what… there is like several types of vegies so we sometimes just go there and pinch some.

What cooking herbs do you grow on your balcony/roof?:
Rosemary
Thyme
Chives
Basil
etc…

I’ve grow all of the above plus you can get sage, oregano, parsley, mint, lemon grass. All grow fine in Taiwan. Rosemary needs to be taken inside in the rainy season.

Now that I’ve moved again, I’ve got to re-start my herb garden again.

On my HK balcony by the sea I got rosemary, lemon grass, mint, chilies and assorted thai herbs. I’d love a lime tree.

HG

[quote=“Elegua”]I’ve grow all of the above plus you can get sage, oregano, parsley, mint, lemon grass. All grow fine in Taiwan. Rosemary needs to be taken inside in the rainy season.

Now that I’ve moved again, I’ve got to re-start my herb garden again.[/quote]
Cool, did you have any difficulties growing them? Any thing you need to pay particular attention to?

I am growing Jalapeno peppers and the plants are doing well so far. They are growing quite tall, and I was wondering if I need to prune them to make them bushy, or just let them grow taller? I tried a search online but couldn’t get anything, and my herb book doesn’t have any information on peppers.

I’ve a very small, narrow ‘balcony’ here in the near place but there’s a lot of room across the road so I’m going all out: couple of pomegranates, passionfruit and blueberries, in addition to the usual flowering vine, jasmine, and whatnot.