Garlic headache

Been feeling run down lately (well, more than that, actually, but I won’t bother going into the interminable details), so I’ve decided to boost my immune system with three “magic weapons”: garlic, carrots and yogurt.

So today, after finishing a grilled hamburger for lunch, I chopped up one-quarter of a smallish clove of garlic and chewed it down with mouthfulls of water. The result? It may just be psychosomatic, but I did feel something of an energy boost. Problem is, for the first two hours or so I had a bit of a headache, and even felt waves of slight sinus discomfort. I also had a weird shoulder thing, kind of a weak feeling…not intense, but noticeable. Oh, and an occasional throb of pain in the cleft between the thumb and forefinger, too. Actually, this is the spot a TCM practitioner once told me was an acupuncture point which you press to relieve headache. Heh.*

The symptoms have calmed down now, six hours after the intake, but I’ve still got a smidgeon of an ache in my head–not excruciating, but enough to be there (and not something I’d want to live with every day). I now recognize these symptoms from the last time I ate some raw garlic, when I thought I was getting a cold. Thing is, it prevented the cold last time, and today I feel I have more energy, but I’ve got these other things going on.

So on the one hand I’m getting the benefits of the raw garlic, but on the other I’m wondering if I’m, well…allergic? I’ve never felt this from cooked garlic, so it must be just the raw. Does this sound like something my body will just get used to if I keep it up every day? Should I take some kind of allergy test to make sure I don’t harm myself by self-medicating on garlic? If it turns out I simply cannot eat raw garlic, would garlic pills be a good alternative without causing symptoms? Or, are there other good alternatives to garlic which provide similar health benefits?

*Turns out this last one is from a TV remote with buttons that require a greater effort in the pressing, I’m embarrassed to say.

What part of your head do you feel the headache at? Front, sides, top of the head, or back of the head?

Secondly, when you say you feel “run down”, what exactly do you mean? Just feeling less energetic, or is it more than that?

Finally, why do you think garlic, carrots, and yogurt are going to help your problem?

Ah, I’d been meaning to update this thread.

I’ve been experiencing a lot of fatigue, lately. It was paralyzing for about two weeks, I could barely move. The doctors have done extensive tests, and apparently I’m a perfectly healthy individual, save for the fatigue. So they haven’t come up with an answer. My guess is that some virus I picked up along the way has attacked me due to a combination of stress, anxiety, overtraining on my bike and overwork.

I’m slowly getting better now after having made some major changes to my life. Without meaning to be dramatic, I do believe I’ve passed through something of a “midlife crisis” (I’m 43), and have turned a corner. I’m now intent on boosting my immune system. Cursory internet research on the subject brings up three things repeatedly: garlic, carrots and yogurt. Not at the same time, mind.

If I’m remembering correctly, the first day I took the garlic I got a headache at the top of my head, somewhat toward the front. I also got some mild sinus pain. I think that’s because I took the whole “dose” of garlic at one time. Yesterday I decided on a different tack: I sliced the garlic into thin slices and put it on the pieces of pork I was eating, and consumed it throughout the course of my meal. I didn’t really experience any headache after that, though I did seem to have some abdominal discomfort.

I’m going to stick with the raw garlic slices for now, but eventually I may have to switch to garlic pills if the abdominal discomfort intensifies. That’s my guess, anyway.

Alright, I can see why you are seriously looking for foods to help with this problem.

However, there is one very important thing that you are not doing right now: listening to your body. You are listening to your mind over your body. Your body is, basically, telling you that garlic is not good for you. My next question was actually going to be about your stomach. In Chinese medical terms, garlic is a very hot substance that can dry out the stomach and lead to problems such as you are having (frontal headache is tied to the stomach and large intestine; that point on your hand is on the large intestine channel). It is not good for everyone. You seem to be one of those people.

Although it is good to follow studies, do not trust them completely. First off, they are centered around large groups of people, not individuals. Everyone is different and what is good for one group of people is not good for another. Secondly, not all studies are balanced to really give accurate information. For example, there have been many studies showing that one alcoholic drink per day is healthy (not just wine, any alcoholic beverage). However, there have been many skeptics who have been saying that these studies are flawn because people who drink moderately tend to be healthier than those who don’t drink at all. People who don’t drink at all tend to be unhealthier people who may even have underlying physical illnesses. Thus, these studies are comparing apples to oranges. My point is, don’t believe everything you read.

I have no idea why garlic has been shown to be good for energy. I have never heard that before (not saying it’s not true though). Since I don’t know you, I can’t say what would definitely be good for your energy. However, you said yourself: “I’m slowly getting better now after having made some major changes to my life.” That, to me, seems to say it all. It sounds like you have been going through a lot of stress, life changes, etc. Now that you are getting over it, you are improving. As long as you are eating, sleeping, and getting exercise regularly and at fixed times (as in not varying it all the time), I think you’re good.

However, if you don’t seem to be improving enough and really have a lot of fatigue, I would recommend seeing a Chinese medical doctor. As I am not currently living in Taipei yet (not even sure if you are there), I can not help you myself nor do I know of anyone to recommend there. Chinese herbs should be able to help you regain your energy levels. Still, the key lies with you and your life style and diet.

In general, if you want energy, I would recommend eating a bit of Chinese dates and / or Chinese yam. Those are both energy tonics that are easy to digest and are good for just about everyone.

Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

Fatigue is more chronic built up mind over matter than anything else.
Exercise is the key.
Next time, crush the garlic by hand, feel the juices flow. And nibble most opportune.

I find ginger root to be excellent for both headaches and the immune system.

Thanks for your considered response. I’m not in Taiwan presently.

You seem to be right. When I was in Taiwan I was told by numerous people and a TCM practitioner that I was 火氣大, which I guess means that I have “high internal heat.” I was told not to eat too much of certain foods and fruits, which I at first dismissed as hogwash, but later made the connection between, say, gorging myself on lychee fruit, which I love, and subsequently getting a headache.

Hmmm…funny you mention that about drying out the stomach with garlic. I did end up drinking more water because I felt like the headache might be related to dehydration.

Jeez, you’re reading me like a book. My meals, sleep, work and exercise were all over the place, but I’ve now forced myself to follow a strict schedule in that regard, and it really does seem to be helping.

Another thing is self-massage. I’ve finally come to realize that ten years of typing (I’m a translator/writer) has wreaked havoc on me in terms of tension in my shoulders and neck. A couple of years ago I got one of those “Thera Canes” as a gift, but never used it. Now, though, I’m using it for short 2-minute periods about six or seven times a day, and the relief is amazing.

Garlic can cause stomach upset and / or diarrhea in some people. This doesn’t mean you can’t eat it. You have to buffer your stomach first - for example, eat something plain first, like a lot of bread. Then when you eat the garlic your stomach is protected.

Yeah, that’s what I was getting at. I also have a lot of internal heat so I’m pretty familiar with it.

[quote=“rousseau”]
Another thing is self-massage. I’ve finally come to realize that ten years of typing (I’m a translator/writer) has wreaked havoc on me in terms of tension in my shoulders and neck. A couple of years ago I got one of those “Thera Canes” as a gift, but never used it. Now, though, I’m using it for short 2-minute periods about six or seven times a day, and the relief is amazing.[/quote]

Yeah, that makes sense. Basically, you have this internal heat, right, and then you add this very hot garlic into your system. Since you already have this tension, this heat is just going right up to your head and causing the headache. The tension basically keeps the heat in your head, if that makes any sense. And, thus, the headache stays around for a while.

Not sure what this “Thera Canes” is but, if it helps you, then keep on using it.

Oh, and keeping a regular schedule does a lot. Don’t know how many people would feel better if they simply ate well and kept a regular schedule. :slight_smile:

It can be good for the immune system but there are better herbs for headaches. Ginger is a warm herb and so may not be best in this case. Also, his headache is caused by his eating of the garlic, and so he just needs to stop eating it and he won’t have the headache anymore.

It can be good for the immune system but there are better herbs for headaches. Ginger is a warm herb and so may not be best in this case. Also, his headache is caused by his eating of the garlic, and so he just needs to stop eating it and he won’t have the headache anymore.[/quote]
Yep, no garlic no headaches. But what are some other things to help the immune system, if I may ask?

I went through a period in my life (pre-heroin) when I ate a lot of raw garlic. It’s great as an antibiotic, and certainly boosts one’s immune system. Wonderful stuff when taken in conjunction with royal jelly. It does, however, irritate the stomache, intestine and bowels. One clove a day is quite adequate, but eat some starch before imbibing.
Dunno about the headaches (Dr Urodacus?).
Oh, another thing. Chewing on garlic is not prescribed for irritable sac syndrome. Betel nuts smell like God’s anus, but garlic is a whole nother ball game. Your only chance of getting some is by convincing the sweet lady/gentleman that garlic is excellent for combatting yeast infections. Slurp. :lick:

It can be good for the immune system but there are better herbs for headaches. Ginger is a warm herb and so may not be best in this case. Also, his headache is caused by his eating of the garlic, and so he just needs to stop eating it and he won’t have the headache anymore.[/quote]

Ginger works so well on a headache for me that just the smell of freshly cut ginger begins to give some relief. If I couldn’t say that, I’d think it had more to do with simply sipping the ginger tea and relaxing, but that’s not all there is to it. I discovered this when I went through a time of lots of migrains and became allergic to EvERY OTC pain med.

Ah, I looked at my old post and I see that I didn’t mention that chinese yam and chinese date can both, indirectly, boost the immune system. They are general body tonics (Qi and Blood tonics in Chinese Medicine) and, by strengthening the body, the body’s immune system will also be stronger.

If you find you are a fairly stressed / tense person (sounds like you might be), slicing a small amount of lemon and adding it to room temperature water is a good. A good time to drink that is in the morning before work. I find that it’s an easy habit to get into and you’ll find yourself doing it regularly if you start.

Finally, in the wintertime, if you want to prevent getting a cold, a little ginger tea is a good idea. You can also prepare it with scallions if you have any. Drink that right when you start to feel like you might be getting sick. Once you are already sick, it’s a different story.

Those are all some good things to add into your diet; in moderation, don’t go overboard with any of them. But, again, just remember that the most important thing is just to stay healthy. As I said before, just eating, sleeping, and exercising regularly as well as eating healthily is the best way. And when I say eating healthily, eating a balanced diet. I actually tell people now to eat like a Chinese person (save for the excessive oil). They eat just about the right portions of everything… good amount of carbs, good amount of vegetables, and a small amount of meat. Just about everything is cooked (cold or raw foods are harder to digest). Also, a small amount of fruit is good. Try not to eat too much dairy.

One last thing I want to say is I get the impression you may be overworking yourself. Not just work-wise, but in all aspects. Maybe it’s your biker avatar that gave me that impression, I don’t know :slight_smile:

Ginger works so well on a headache for me that just the smell of freshly cut ginger begins to give some relief. If I couldn’t say that, I’d think it had more to do with simply sipping the ginger tea and relaxing, but that’s not all there is to it. I discovered this when I went through a time of lots of migrains and became allergic to EvERY OTC pain med.[/quote]

Nice, good that you found something that really works for you. It probably works for your headaches because I’m guessing you have what is termed “cold in the stomach” which is contributing to your headache. The relaxing part helps too, I’m sure.

Garlic for health; acetaminophen (paracetamol) for headaches.