Garmin 800 Maps

I bought a Garmin 800 in the UK just before I came out to Zhubei. Garmin tell me that they cannot supply me with a street level map of Taiwan - bit of a pain in the arse, TBH. Currently checking out rides on Goooooogle Earth before I set off, but would prefer a decent map on the road.

Any ideas whether I can get anything suitable? Does anyone else do maps for Garmins that I can buy/download from somewhere reputable?

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks

Col

Are you sure? Did you try to download the maps from your Garmin dashboard? I don’t think location would matter. Your Garmin device should work wherever you are, shouldn’t it?

Erm, yes I am sure. The device works fine, thanks, but I have only got the main routes showing for Taiwan - Freeways/Highways, whatever. I can find my way home each ride simply by heading towards the start indicated on the screen, but it’s kinda galling to have spent so much on the gadget and not have exactly the same capabilities as at home. The bloody thing was even made here. ;0) Garmin tell me that there is no version (certainly not an English one) I can download - I can, however, have Taiwan maps at street level in Chinese if I buy a device in Taiwan with it already loaded. My budget ain’t that big.

This has come from someone at Garmin HQ in Taiwan (several emails have been exchanged in the past month or so), so I have no reason to doubt them, but I am willing to be persuaded otherwise if anyone has first hand experience and can point me in the right direction.

Unfortunately this is true, the device is tied to where you buy it and this in turn determines which maps you have access to for “free”. There are ways around this which probably aren’t legal so pursue with accordance to your own ethics, but Google a little if you think your device and what you paid for it should include the Taiwan maps.

What a load of crap from Garmin HQ. They probably don’t understand what you are talking about LOL.

I have street level map of Taiwan in ENGLISH - PM me if you want we can make a deal of some sort to get you set up.

[quote=“hugachuga”]What a load of crap from Garmin HQ. They probably don’t understand what you are talking about LOL.

I have street level map of Taiwan in ENGLISH - PM me if you want we can make a deal of some sort to get you set up.[/quote]

Just let me know where/how to get it, please. I’m happy to pay a fair price - I bought a basic level package then added the UK street level download at a cost of about £30 which didn’t strike me as extortionate.