Gas Canister prices - Large restaurant size

Anyone know the price of the large gas canisters some restaurants use here? I’m talking about the ones that are almost six feet tall. I can’t find any information online about the cost to buy them. If anyone could post a chart of all the sizes/capacities with prices that would be great.

The one website that would have that information doesn’t load.

Thanks. Maybe someone will have an idea from memory.

Call the gas shops and inquire. They are pretty open about it all.

For the roufhly 4 foot ones we pay 800 to refil and 1500 to buy a new one full. Thats expensive but we live way away from the hustle and that includes delivery.

Before livin here i paid i think 600 to refil in the west a few years back.

The costs to ask about:

New tank how much
Refill how much

If your tank is expired they will charge a bogus fee to “safety inspect it” (check the valve) here its 400 for the 4 footer.

Also note every so often there are recalls. The valves i think 1 or 2 years ago leaked and island wide recal of that company. It all went well and honest just need to check sometimes.

What kind of gas are you getting? I’m guessing CO2 if it’s for restaurant use?

I just got oxygen and argon cylinder for welding. I think gas shops will charge you 5000nt for a tank deposit, but you can buy used tank from elsewhere for less and just use that (just make sure they recently passed inspection):

The tank is used but it’s filled, and has been inspected.

I think refills are anywhere from 600-1000, depending on the gas you want filled. Reasonable price would be oxygen, CO2, argon, nitrogen. Unreasonable price would be helium (very expensive, expect to pay 3000+ just to refill it, as it’s a nonrenewable resource and there’s a worldwide shortage of them). I don’t expect restaurants to use helium unless they have balloons…

I just want gas for cooking and heating water, but I want the six foot canisters that some stir fry restaurants have so I’ll only need to refill them a few times a year. I assume they are next day refill delivery because they are too big for scooter delivery. If the four footers are only $1500 new and filled, I’ll just get four of them perhaps since they are easier to handle.

I never seen the really large ones, but this is something you can perhaps ask your gas company about… they probably have to be trucked in (not on scooter).

All the stalls I have seen all use several 4 feet cylinders. I think it may be more difficult to get the big 6 foot containers.

The scooter delivery is usually just in cities. But most companies have a truck. Here in the countryside we can usually get same day service if we call in the morning. They fill their truck and do their rounds. If im not around i leave cash somewhere and the old tank by the door and bobs your uncle.

Normally they all have those tall ines as well i have just never asked how much cause we just use for our hotplate and shower. The tall ones are also quite heavy. Important note if stairs are involved. The 4 footers are a convenient easy for everything go to everyone uses.

If i was a shop anf was thinking just replacing a few times annually i would just buy a spare and go 4 foot as they are so much easier to work with (storage and weight). Even just here in our house i hace 2. 1 as a spare so when it is out i get it filled but no rush as to when it comes. Never a cold shower.

The only restaurants I have ever seen use 6 foot cans is a steak house. They order an entire truckload of it too. They have a freight elevator and they use it to get the cans to the second floor. I do not think anyone will lift a 6 foot can up the stairs, because they weight over 100kg each. 50kg is about the limit as far as what you can get up the stairs, and 4 foot gas cans weight that much (so does my 40 liter compressed air cylinders).

Why would you want 4? Get 2, one to use and one to swap. I used the 20Kg size years ago, for a single person cooking and showering you’ll get a couple of months from it. Sometimes the delivery guys used to get prissy about the 20Kg as it was 5th floor with no elevator and insist I should be buying 16Kg ones, you can check with your local supplier. Was 50 or 60Nt etc due to the stairs if I remember correctly.

Ya exactly. Makes more sense if also making stuff for other shops. Bakeries, baozi/dumpling restaurants thar also run supply operations need a lot of gas. Regular eateries should be find with the standard and arent crazy with stairs.

Though if they carried your gas to the 5th floor for 60nt…thats far far beyond most Taiwanese service. Stick with them. I have nevet got a guy to carry it for me
Takes it to the stairs. If they are nice they bring the empty one down the stairs.

Now im in a 1 story house, easy as.

One for gas water heater, one for gas range and one for gas grill and one extra to swap.
6 people, too.

6 people would go through a bit alright, generally the water heater and range are on the same connection as the bottle will be outside.

I use electric tankless heater because they don’t go cold in the middle of a shower in the winter. That sucks. Even if they deliver on scooter imagine answering the door in the cold while covered in soap.

You get a bit of warning before that happens, can always buy a gauge if you don’t trust your instincts. Having a spare bottle means it isn’t an issue anyway.

Those only work for single water points though, right? I don’t really want to put one in every bathroom and kitchen and have 220v outlets installed everywhere.

I was going to get a 50 gallon electric water heater, but the yearly electricity cost would be over $20,000nt. Gas is less than half that. Only the small 12-25 gallon tanks are energy efficient, but we have too many people for that.

I live alone and have no kitchen. I literally use one to two a year since being a hard man I don’t use hot water in summer. :wink:

Do they not have gas powered tanked water heater?

I just ended up getting a 30 gallon constant temperature electric water heater with timers. I figure the 30 gallon should cost me less than $10,000nt/yr if I use the timers and turn it way down in summer. HCG guys are installing it tomorrow. Less hassle and easier to deal with if I turn the patio into a sunroom, which the wife is really pushing for.

Thanks for the help guys.

2 Likes

Yea honestly if you have a large house with lots of people tanked heater is the way to go.

Is there not a way you can get a heat pump system that gives you 2 for the price of 1 (you know, AC and hot water)? If electricity cost is an issue it’s something you can look into. Also maybe have the inlet to the hot water heater go through the roof level or something to collect some of those heat for some energy savings.

Besides a lot of those gas heaters are improperly installed and it has led to deaths.