Gated Communities near Taichung?

We’ve got 3 pre-schoolers and I dream that someday they’ll have a lawn to run around on, sprinklers to play in, that sort of thing. We live in Taichung. Best would be US-style suburban, but even something like Lotus Hill would be nice. I’ve seen some in Dakeng but they seem built on hills and are “townhomes” (ie connected to each other, with postage-stamp yards). Any ideas?

Thanks!

Peter

There is one here that we looked at some time ago. It’s an 8000 ping gated town house community with lots of parks, swimming pool, library etc.

[googlemaps]24.187112, 120.701141[/googlemaps]

That is a nice one. We’re hoping for more lawn, though. Maybe near the old military bases?

The only one I know is Hong Bao (red castle?) community in xitun, that was the old base accom for US officers and their families for Taichung Qingshui airport I believe. It has a swimming pool and some gardens, tennis courts, very quiet, secure.

The only other places I’ve seen along those lines are on dong hai campus, for staff.

Stating the obvious but if you want that stuff it’s going to be a tough ask in Taiwan while its everywhere in the US.

In Taiping, near Dongshan rd and Dakeng, there are a ton of new communities that have sprung up lately. Alot of the houses actually have fenced in yards. Looks ALMOST American to me.

Just take wenxin, pass over beitun rd, then wenxin becomes dongshan. When u get to songzhu rd, take a right (a left would take u back to beitun rd and past the graveyard…dont go that way). And just drive around. Theyre still building a ton of stuff, but the ones already constructed seem quite nice.

Oh, and I was just thinking…if you actually do go left on songzhu, and past the graveyard…keep going. Before the bridges and river rds, if you make a left, there are a bunch of new communities like I described above too. All brand new. If youre interested and need help, lemme know, ill just pin points on google maps and add the links here.

Then, there are a few communities actually IN dakeng itself. If you can afford 25000/month, you can get a HUGE house in a real posh gated community and many of those houses are more “western” style and also have their own backyards.

If youre poor like me, you can still get a 6 story house in dakeng, in a gated community, for under 15000/month, but most of the houses do not have yards.

Confuzius, thank you that’s really good info. I’d been out that way once, it did look kind of US-suburban, but I didn’t see any big lawners on Google maps, only mountainside townhouses. Maps is a few years outdated, so maybe that’s why.

Yes, if you have any specific names or such please let me know. Don’t want to put you out too much, but if it’s on your commute or nearby I’d much appreciate! 25k or above is fine; we’re not rich but double-income does wonders in Taichung :slight_smile:

Headhoncho, we actually live and work next to the airport, so that would be ideal. I couldn’t find it, any idea which direction it is from the airport? Hopefully not the demolished zone NW where they’re putting up new apt buildings!

I’ve for two preschoolers and thought I was busy:).

The name of the area is 宏恩 in 西屯.
It is actually very close to the central science park and Taichung metro park.

There were two airports in Taichung, it was officer qtrs for the Qingshui military airport (now shared military/city airport) not the shuinan airport which is now being redeveloped, like large parts of Taichung.

The hong en community has of course been developed since then although still no high rise inside, I think you can rent there for 25-30k+ if places available.
Some of the houses have gardens.

[quote=“Confuzius”]Then, there are a few communities actually IN dakeng itself. If you can afford 25000/month, you can get a HUGE house in a real posh gated community and many of those houses are more “western” style and also have their own backyards.

If youre poor like me, you can still get a 6 story house in dakeng, in a gated community, for under 15000/month, but most of the houses do not have yards.[/quote]

There are some that do. If you take a right at the temple-roundabout-thing and go straight, past the seven eleven and up the valley behind, there’s one on the left where a whole bunch of foreigners live that has houses with grassy yards in the 10-15k range.

Further up the main valley, there’s a nice community called – I think – Raven Hill. Raven something, anyway. Probably. We looked at a couple of places in there back in the day, it has much more varied architecture and lots of space, and the prices are reasonable. Bit out of the way, though.

@honcho, Only 2? Must be nice :slight_smile:

We’d planned on two as well. They just kept coming.

Did find the place you described. You’re right, I was thinking about the old airport.

@Brendon, good to know about that area. We’ll check it out.

Thanks again to all!

Here’s a few places around dakeng, though, there are more. each of the spots is the area, or complex, I speak of (and a couple more added)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=%E6%B8%85%E6%B0%B4%E5%B7%B7&daddr=%E6%9D%BE%E7%AB%B9%E4%BA%8C%E8%B7%AF+to:%E5%BB%BA%E5%92%8C%E8%B7%AF+to:%E6%A9%AB%E5%9D%91%E5%B7%B7%E8%81%96%E5%9C%B0%E4%B8%80%E5%BC%84+to:%E5%85%89%E8%A5%BF%E5%B7%B7&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=24.1641,120.721314&spn=0.009671,0.021136&sll=24.185458,120.741012&sspn=0.00967,0.021136&geocode=FewGcQEdBb8yBw%3BFSfzcAEdygEyBw%3BFYnVcAEdJBwyBw%3BFYv1cAEdGZgyBw%3BFWAGcQEdhF4yBw&oq=my&t=h&mra=mi&mrsp=4&sz=16&z=16