Same Sex Marriage

The most popular LGBT party in taiwan is called CUM. Create your magic.

I was just joking, but I think all that in your face sexuality you see in Gay Pride actually works against the interests of the LGBT community in Taiwan.

Eh? Why?

I also went drinking and partying when I had my wedding.

Double entendre.

so, im not sure what that means

but, your quote took my wording a bit out of context. if you leave out the first part it seems to imply I say they should be drinking cum, when again I was simply saying they should have a ceremony and(cum) drinking and partying

1 Like

This is why we generally avoid using “cum” in the Latin sense these days.

1 Like

Well, I just read this https://theoutline.com/post/7091/hong-kong-cum-signs?zd=1&zi=osgxwewb the other day and couldn’t avoid using it myself

It is a bit in your face.

1 Like

What a load of…

he shoots, he scores!

Quoting Taiwan Reporter:

The Taiwan Cabinet draft for a same-sex marriage law looks like a smart move, and I don’t think anyone saw this coming: Instead of amending the Civil Code, which defines heterosexual marriage, they come up with a separate law – but for marriage, not mere partnership.

This way, it looks like they can adhere to both the 2017 Constitutional Court ruling, which is of paramount importance anyway, as well as not contravene the wording of the referendums approved by the public in 2018.

Let’s remember how they were phrased:
No. 10 Referendum: “Do you agree that Civil Code regulations should restrict marriage to being between a man and a woman?”
CHECK, Civil Code is not changed

No. 12 Referendum: “Do you agree to types of unions, other than those stated in the marriage regulations in the Civil Code, to protect the rights of same-sex couples who live together permanently?”
CHECK, same-sex marriage is defined independently from the Civil Code

Well, anti-LGBT extremists, looks like you’ve been outmaneuvered.

Now let’s see if the parliamentarians have the guts to follow through and actually pass this

Writing about this, I had to fight the impulse to put a rainbow of hearts. It is very easy to slip up… have a look at the variety of pictures used to illustrate the issue. The sterotypes are … strong. And I already had an earful from a gay pal who complained about our pics from the Pride parade.

If the majority of the population believe a marriage is between a man and a women. Are they extremists? Or actually anti LGBT?

I had an elder relative who didn’t want to be bothered with learning or researching into the details of the referendums (say no to referenda), and went to vote alone early in the morning to avoid the line. When he was finally informed by his daughter that LGBT are born that way, he was shocked and said “You should have told me earlier, I thought they were just being weird by choice. Had I known they didn’t have a choice I wouldn’t have voted against it.”

I imagine that sentiment is probably shared by 60% of the elderly voters that last election.

I think this again is the LGBT community not understanding many people in Taiwan would have almost no interactions with anyone who is LGBT or know anything about it. If I didn’t know any gay people. The things I see on social media with CUM parties and half naked people making out in gay parade. I don’t think many people would have voted yes. The picture painted is that’ it’s sexual. Not so much about equality and rights as any other person you meet

There’s a lack of discussion on most social issues. The media and TV stations seem to have an aversion to discussing anything meaningful or controversial.

In the US there are plenty of movies or TV shows promoting public dialogues on the subject beyond a shallow level. I think Jolin and some artists have been trying to raise awareness. Though her message isn’t getting any air time on TV, where elderly people likes to get their information, despite the fact that she is the biggest female star here in Taiwan.

From Jolin’s youtube channel:

I don’t think people really care too much about the opinions of celebrities, as shown in the US with nearly all of hollywood and artists against trump and didn’t matter. I certainly don’t, a lot of them are pretty stupid.

1 Like

Andrew, you are seeing what the media wants you to see. Most media here are not without an agenda, and there is little balance in presenting families as they are: varied.

Most peoploe from the LGBT community go to work and “blend in”. They are not in drag nor half naked all the time, nor they engage in party all the time. So the elderly “do not see them” because, well, what do they expect? The representation of what they do and what they are is not interesting to the media nor sells copies, and worse, it doe snot fuel the stereotype. It is like foreigners: the image in the media is awful, certainly there is the dicotomy that you are either a priest who has served the poor 50 years or a fiend who sells canabis on the Internet. Little is said of the foreign teachers, the foreign engineers, the foreign small business owners… that does not sell.

Moreover, media here publish what their bosses tell them and the bosses have a political bias.

For example, there are many big artists in Taiwan everyone knows they are gay and can´t come out or that would ruin their careers. Too many people here are kept in a very tight bubble where they still get married by their parents choice.

1 Like

They have a platform to deliver their messages to a broader audience, there’s nothing wrong with them using it. In fact, it should be their responsibility to use it in a meaningful way. I actually don’t see how it’s different from us discussing things on an open internet forum.

Instead of being against celebrities, it’d be wiser to be against celebrities who don’t know what they are talking about. There are plenty of both out there.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what i’m saying.

Most of the pictures from the parade, even the pro LGBT ones makes it look like a orgy. They will do so much better with the message of, we are you neighbors, colleagues, teachers, doctors, etc. That’s not really the message someone would get if they don’t know anyone who is LGBT in taiwan. Even the events they promote in Taiwan, and I used to help organize it, are highly sexualized events.

1 Like

It’s just not where I get my political opinions from. I’m not watching 10min videos of jolin talking about what her thoughts on something is. I can barely watch her music videos.