Same Sex Marriage

It is not no matter. We clearly have situations where we step in life a mom doing drugs or in prison. It’s not possible to go into everyone’s life but it is possible not to create a situation like this.

children who have an involved father are more likely to be emotionally secure, be confident to explore their surroundings, and, as they grow older, have better social connections. The way that fathers play with their children also has an important impact on a child’s emotional and social development .

There are a lot of literature on this subject of the role of a mom and dad on the development of a child, it’s not disputed and pretty consistent. You can look all of them up if you want.

Here’s a interesting one. MEASUREMENT OF FATHER-CHILD ROUGH-AND-TUMBLE PLAY AND ITS RELATIONS TO CHILD BEHAVIOR - PubMed

They would have to adapt to 2 dads or 2 moms. There are biological differences in gender.

So … having a mom and a mom is “lowering the standard” compared to having a mom and a dad? If that’s your standard of what’s good and proper, maybe the standard sucks. Once upon a time in many places the standard used to be that having a mom of one race and a dad of another race was bad - that allowing “miscegenation” would have been “lowering the standards”. Personally I think recognizing that some previously held standards were crap and getting rid of them is a pretty good step.

2 Likes

It’s not crap. There is a long list of studies that show how a mom and a dad impact the development of children. Are they wrong?

All likely with heteronormative bias. Be aware this is the LGBT forum you’re arguing in.

3 Likes

Should the people with heritable disabilities, older than certain age, with certain criminal records, etc. be prohibited to have children for the interest of unborn kids?

You see this is exactly my point I brought up earlier. You can’t argue against ideas anymore. If I can’t argue against a idea, how do you think children feel being open about it?

1 Like

I looked at your link but I still don’t really understand how you would use this information to define “mom” role vs “dad” role.

Do all dads engage in rough and tumble play with all types of children? Do moms never do this? Is wrestling with your child requisite to being a good father?

What’s an optimal dad supposed to be like and what’s an optimal mom supposed to be like, according to what you’ve read?

In some cases we have said yes, like incest is illegal because it can cause problems.

there are many conditions as less optimal as having mom and mom or dad and dad. If they are not reasons to prohibit having their iological children, why not give the right of having their biological kids to same sex couples.

Did your mom and dad provide the same roles for you?

Do you believe there are biological differences between a man and a woman and psychological and behavioral differences? For example, woman on average are more agreeable in psychological testings we do over and over again. This can make them more accepting while father’s are less agreeable and more likely to push the child. Both are clearly needed.

Because it removes the “right” or deprive the kids of having a biological mom and dad. You keep arguing about the rights of the adults and never the kids.

I dont see the benefit of just having biological mom and dad. What is the differece having biological dad and dad or mom and mom.

For kids with umknown dad, what does that mean? It is just dad’s DNA. it could be better to have known biological same sex parents than having unkown bological mom and dad.

Oo, look. Science! “I can’t be biased against gay parents, because I have [cherry-picked but oh no definitely not biased] science on my side!” Huzzah!

Look, your standard seems to be mom + dad = people who should be parents. And that things like alcohol abuse and absenteeism are incidental and beside the point. My standard is that people who try to be good parents = people who should be parents. I suppose you’ve got your standard, but it’s an out of date and anti-gay standard.

Emphasis added, link below.

Especially in the past decade, as gay marriage has been legally recognized in many states, a small number of scholars have claimed that kids of same-sex parents are exposed to more potential harms than kids of straight parents. This, in turn, has been used to argue against gay adoption and marriage.

But just because some studies support this finding doesn’t mean it’s true. In fact, many, many more studies reached opposite conclusions. “Research … has developed a scholarly consensus that shows that children raised by same-sex couples are at no important disadvantage,” wrote Stanford University sociologist Michael Rosenfeld in an email. “There is a noisy fringe of academics who claim that children raised by same-sex couples are in disastrous peril,” a viewpoint which “has little or no credibility within academia.”

But a number of nationally representative, large-sample surveys have consistently found that kids from stable gay households fare the same as kids from stable heterosexual households.

2 Likes

I’m a woman and I wouldn’t call myself agreeable! :rofl: Many of us are simply socialized to behave as such. But times, they are a-changing.

It’s just not so black and white anymore. There are lots of soft, sweet, agreeable dads, what you might deem “mom-like” dads. On the other hand, there are lots of tough, insistent, unsympathetic “dad-like” moms.

My mom and dad have different parenting styles, but I don’t attribute that to their genders. I attribute that to their being two different individuals, with different upbringings and personalities.

1 Like

Every kid will have a biological mom and a biological dad, regardless of the gender of the people who raise them.

At least until kids can be grown in laboratories…

Cute you want to put the article of them saying children of SSM are not going to do as good because they are gay…I never said that. If you think my argument is being gay will make you raise worse kids…you’re not listening.

Technically it should be “reading”.

No, these behaviors can be seen in infants and young children.

I could just site my own anecdotal evidence of the at least a dozen children of gay parents I’ve met (who are all well adjusted and tend to have healthier relationships with their parents than most people I know).

Instead, I’ll direct you to the scientific literature, the consensus of which is that the children of same-sex parents do not face adverse outcomes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12361102/

If you want to argue this particular point further, I’d appreciate hearing more robust evidence to support your claims.

3 Likes