Gay Marriage in Taiwan?!?!

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003066953

This is an interesting article from today’s Taipei Times, talking about Chen Shui-bian’s human rights bill, which it says includes a provision to legalize gay marriage. Does anyone think this will pass? In such a conservative society as Taiwan, I’m a bit doubtful, but if it did, I think it would definitely be a first in Asia, and a big step forward both for human rights in Taiwan and world-wide. I just hope that the new human rights legislation will also address many of the other problems that foreigners marrying Taiwanese face here, and then what about a gay couple adopting children? Or even a single gay man adopting children? Does anyone know if this will be addressed in the new law?

Sounds very unlikely to me, that such a law will pass in Taiwan. As far as I know homosexuality is not very accepted in Taiwan and most people still think of it as a sickness, that can be cured.

Mesheel,
I don’t know. Rumor has it that such a law is likely to be passed. We’ll have to wait and see.

Little Budda,
Don’t hold your breath. I’m assuming that it won’t be that well organized. Adoption, immigration, and other issues will probably have been overlooked. haha! Just give them time, and I think that things will slowly work out for the best.

Greg

Rather conversely, Taiwan is the one place in Asia where a gay marriage bill COULD pass. It would be the kind of token nod to universal human rights that Taiwanese lawmakers love

Actually to win brownie points, Taiwan could simply recognize Canadian gay marriages.

Most people, Mesheel?
I guess it depends on where you live. Of course it also depends on whether you are Chinese (Taiwanese) or a foreigner…

“If the laws are approved by parliament, Taiwan would be the first in Asia to legalize marriages among people of the same sex.”

Wouldn’t that just be MARVELOUS!!! :sunglasses:

etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2003/ … 303802.htm

TAIWAN JIA YOU! :smiley:

Yeah, saw that too. Although one Chinese paper (was it China Times) actually had a first-page headline that actually said "Gays Can Form Families

well, they will hammer out text of law now, and it will 5-10 years to pass the parliament here, first reading, second reading, third reading, and it will pass, but not before 2015 at the earliest. it’s a good bill and a good law.

all people who love each other should be able to declare such love and live happily ever after. i support it 10000000000%

after all what would jesus do?

Jesus was gay himself.

It’s a great idea, and I support CSB totally on this one … unfortunately I’m sure it will be bogged down and eventually defeated in the legislature by the much more conservative opposition (read: KMT and PFP). The only way for it to succeed would be for the gay community to get more organized and form a voting block to put pressure on the legislatures, and gay rights groups to get more vocal about it RIGHT NOW … if it’s going up before the legislature in December, it’s time to start lobbying and pushing …

Oh sure, I mean, it’s gonna take time, but that DOESN"T mean we can’t start shopping for frocks! :wink:

It also means I won’t have to slap straight colleagues who crow about “not having to work” to stay in the country legally because they’re getting hitched…

Saying that, I’m just assuming my Taiwanese lover WOULD be able to marry me, a foreigner (and WANT to!) - and that same-sex partners would have the same (albeit limited) rights as mixed couples. Only time will tell, I suppose.

But I CAN’T wait to clamber over rocks and climb trees in a wedding dress and stack heels for the photos - no harm in getting those done well in advance, I’m sure! Keep your eyes peeled! :sunglasses:

Yes, if only they could channel the energy and organizational skills they put into forming closet smokescreens and organizing swimsuit parties and drug and sex orgies, they just might be able to pull it off!

Well the times they are a changin’ … the majority of young gay guys I know say they would never marry a woman, even if their parents wanted them too. The only problem, as you say, is they’re too caught up in drugs and sex parties to have the time or energy to do something productive. Thank god I grew out of that whole scene a looong time ago … but then again I’m no activist either.

I think it’s a great thing too, BUT assuming they even let foreign men marry Taiwanese men, it still wouldn’t give foreign men a Joining Family Residence Visa (JFRV), in most cases because one of the things you need for a JFRV is for your marriage to be recognised in your home country.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I htink it’s a great thing too, BUT assuming they even let foreign men martry Taiwanese men, it still would’t give foreign men a Joining Family Residence Visa (JFRV), in most cases because one of the things you need for a JFRV is for your marriage to be recognised in your home country.

Brian[/quote]

Thanks for that snippet of info! One would “presume” they’d have to make some amendments there - it’s seriously NOT cool for the government to regulate which nationalities their citizens can “marry”! :shock:

Or am I being too naive? :wink:

Yes, perhaps if they just promised to stop actually having any sort of a life, the government might enshrine those rights in law :wink:

You can have quite a nice life without getting fucked up out of your mind every weekend and having unprotected sex with dozens of men in saunas and at E parties … it mustn’t be that hard for you to meet Taiwanese guys without having to get them drugged up first, eh Mangnolia? :wink:

[quote=“magnolia”]
Thanks for that snippet of info! One would “presume” they’d have to make some amendments there - it’s seriously NOT cool for the government to regulate which nationalities their citizens can “marry”! :shock:

Or am I being too naive? :wink:[/quote]

Well, if recent efforts to curtail marriages with mainland Chinese (Chinese, their very own flesh and blood!) and, God forbid, people from, GASP, SE Asian nations, is any indication…

Oh you’ve got me! Because clever people know the only proper way gay guys can live a worthwhile life is by shutting themselves in an ivory tower and immersing themselves in the true beauty of classic literature! Who needs to experience the visceral when you’ve got a research grant, eh? :wink:

And, personal remarks aside, are you saying ALL Taiwan gays don’t deserve rights because SOME do this? Isn’t that a bit judgemental for someone so apparently enlightened? :?