Gays Good! Mormons Suck!

California…when do scientists think it’s going to slide off into the Pacific?

[quote]
‘That’s so gay’ prompts a lawsuit

SANTA ROSA, Calif. - When a few classmates razzed Rebekah Rice about her Mormon upbringing with questions such as, “Do you have 10 moms?” she shot back: “That’s so gay.”

Those three words landed the high school freshman in the principal’s office and resulted in a lawsuit that raises this question: When do playground insults used every day all over America cross the line into hate speech that must be stamped out?

After Rice got a warning and a notation in her file, her parents sued, claiming officials at Santa Rosa’s Maria Carillo High violated their daughter’s First Amendment rights when they disciplined her for uttering a phrase “which enjoys widespread currency in youth culture,” according to court documents.[/quote]

msnbc.msn.com/id/17388702/

What would Mitt do?

Which Mitt? He changes positions so much it’s hard to believe it’s the same guy.

I wonder if the students who instigated the incident with their religious bigotry were also sent to the principal’s office. I don’t think the article mentioned it one way or the other.

I also wonder whether the girl’s parents would argue that disciplining the other students for their slurs would constitute a violation of those students’ First Amendment rights?

What would you guys have done (if anything) to Rice and/or the other students if you were the principal of that school?

Learn better insults.

This is totally retarded.

touche

[quote=“Hobbes”]I wonder if the students who instigated the incident with their religious bigotry were also sent to the principal’s office. I don’t think the article mentioned it one way or the other.

I also wonder whether the girl’s parents would argue that disciplining the other students for their slurs would constitute a violation of those students’ First Amendment rights?

What would you guys have done (if anything) to Rice and/or the other students if you were the principal of that school?[/quote]

From this article, it sounds like school officials are targeting the student and her parents.

ebar.com/news/article.php?se … ticle=1581

[quote=“Hobbes”]I wonder if the students who instigated the incident with their religious bigotry were also sent to the principal’s office. I don’t think the article mentioned it one way or the other.

What would you guys have done (if anything) to Rice and/or the other students if you were the principal of that school?[/quote]
The teacher and/or principal should have lectured all of them about respect and tolerance and that would be it (no notation or other bullshit).

The teacher and/or principal should have lectured all of them about respect and tolerance and that would be it (no notation or other bullshit).[/quote]

Yeah, I think that’s probably what I would have done too, Rascal. Maybe “lecture” isn’t the even the right word, but just make the point, and then move on. High school kids say all kinds of terrible things to each other. Always have, always will. Beyond a certain point I think teachers and administrators getting involved in it is a waste of time that could be better spent on making sure kids graduate, and are decently literate and numerate when they do.

Doctor Evil’s second article does make it sound like there were other things going on behind the scenes between the school and this family as well.

I truly wonder what the school administration’s position would have been if she had not been a Mormon but of another religion…say a Muslim.

The school would have absolutely thrown the book at the other students if the girl had been a Muslim. I would be very surprised if the two were treated the same way.

Nothing. Junior high school kids insulting each other? Please. Let it go. If it turned to bullying then it may be an issue for the school to intervene. But it sounds like the Mormon girl has the ability to stand up for herself.

As for her “gay” remark" the parents are right. This is a normal part of youth culture. And a youth culture that is almost entirely at ease with homosexuality, it must be added. In addition, since this is California there are certainly openly gay kids at the school. Authorities do not need to intervene when a remark is made at a group that is no longer stigmatized.

Isn’t there some principle in law that says those in the wrong cannot avail themselves of the law for protection (e.g., illegal loansharks can’t sue to get their loans back)? By the same principle, it seems to me that those who instigate with a racial or religious slur or a punch don’t deserve any protection from the slur or punch they get in return. I think it should be ok to shoot burglars, too, and that they don’t deserve the right to sue you for it.

You can’t automatically assume that. Maybe in parts of San Francisco and some tiny parts of LA, you can have openly gay kids at a school, but at most schools, kids would still get picked on, and at some kids would get beat up. I went to two high schools in LA; the second school was much more open to homosexuality, but at the first school you would without a doubt get picked on/beat up.

You can’t automatically assume that. Maybe in parts of San Francisco and some tiny parts of LA, you can have openly gay kids at a school, but at most schools, kids would still get picked on, and at some kids would get beat up. I went to two high schools in LA; the second school was much more open to homosexuality, but at the first school you would without a doubt get picked on/beat up.[/quote]

Point taken, but my point stands that this girl belongs to the most gay-friendly generation in history and her remarks do not deserve a visit to the principal’s office.

It’s actually mentioned in the other article linked that a homosexual boy was beaten up for money at that school, prompting (in parts) the harsh response to the girl’s verbal attack.

[quote=“Rascal”]
It’s actually mentioned in the other article linked that a homosexual boy was beaten up for money at that school, prompting (in parts) the harsh response to the girl’s verbal attack.[/quote]

Would it have been different if it had been a heterosexual beaten up for money? Seems it’s ok with the school to attack the girl’s religion and parents but gays are a protected species.

Wait. is this a typo. I know of no youth culture that is almost entirely at ease with homosexuality that says things derogatorily with “That’s gay.”

Wait. is this a typo. I know of no youth culture that is almost entirely at ease with homosexuality that says things derogatorily with “That’s gay.”[/quote]Oh, don’t get too excited. There are plenty of homosexuals willing to slag off things like “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” for being “too gay”. Rufus Wainwright did a pretty good number on that consumption-ready portrayal. It’s easy enough to dislike “things that are so gay” and still be comfortable with homosexuality.