Gender Discrimination in Hiring

As a matter of fact, there is such an ad on tealit right now. And surprisingly this school is owned by a Canadian.

This is all due to these perverts that made it into the news a couple of years ago.

Ever since, it’s very difficult for males to find a job teaching young children. It used to be the other way around here in Taiwan.

As a matter of fact, there is such an ad on tealit right now. And surprisingly this school is owned by a Canadian. [/quote]

Why is that surprising?

As a matter of fact, there is such an ad on tealit right now. And surprisingly this school is owned by a Canadian. [/quote]

Why is that surprising?[/quote]

I assumed that westerners are more aware of the nondiscrimination rules.

[quote=“Lili”]Any mothers on Forumosa who can comment on whether they’d rather a female taking care of their child. I’m talking about young, young kids btw. Anything younger than 5 or 6.
[/quote]

Think about what you are saying. While I agree that I a woman is more likely to be someone who I would want looking after my kids, there are some guys I know who would win hands down in that contest.

You simply cant make a blanket rule, there are of course going to be some guys that would be better at looking after your kid than some girls. Just because statistically there would be more females who meet the criteria than males, doesn’t mean you can make it a rule.

All this anti-discrimination stuff is a distraction from the real point, it should be the right person for the right job. Which in many cases I know of, anti-discrimination just gets in the way. Sure this may be controversial, but I have seen women promoted instead of the best person for the job many times because it was politically correct and it just pisses me off. Why should we put up with having less than the best person for the job because you need to meet some quota for the company to look good!!

Well I don’t want some Canadian taking care of MY kids. They’d probably be whispering to them English in one ear, and French in the other.

Yes, but we’re not talking about Western parents here, we’re talking about Taiwanese parents sending their kids to the language school. If the parents want female teachers, female teachers the school will hire. Or more to the point, if the school believes the parents want female teachers, then it’s female teachers all the way.

In Taiwan, there is the law, and then there’s what happens in buxibans. Sometimes the two are the same, but not that much.

Being racist, sexist or ageist is not a problem in cram schools in fact they believe it’s just business. After teaching at a cram school in Dong Gan for one year my contract was not renewed because they found a female to do my job. The school simply said you worked hard and we liked that, but we found a girl so we are going to go with her. It was complete bullshit and most people would feel the same way if you were sacked not because of poor performance, but because of your gender. When I started the school had a chance to hire a girl, but they didn’t because she was black. The owner was very open about it and said it’s a small town people would not understand it’s not like Taipei or Kaohsiung. He was saying I will lose business if I hire this person, it was a shite situation for this girl.

Sometimes you will see schools placing adds for teachers that read as follows -" Females only, sorry guys". “or Must be under 35 years of age.” " Please send picture with resume". All of this makes you wonder that if there are a few schools with the nerve to actually post that how many don’t, but are thinking it. I believe many, unfortunately teaching English is about how much money you can make and if the Taiwanese feel a white, American, young girl is the ideal candidate by god that’s what the schools will go after.

I left Taiwan shortly after this. I spent 7 years teaching in Cram schools and I can honestly say each year the job got worse not better. It’s just simple math the new generation of parents are only having one child per family compare that to the previous generation who were having two to three kids per family. Things are getting much more competitive, schools are combing classes or just closing all together. It’s too bad, I loved the life had in Taiwan I played football, played music, studied at Uni, travelled all over the island and shagged many girls it was paradise.

Now I’m back in Canada unemployed and bored as fuck, but the thought of returning would be a waste of time. I don’t think things for teachers are going to get better or stabilize they will only get worse. Its better I figure that out now at 37 rather than 47. Oh well, it was a fucking blast Taiwan, I learned so much and I will cherish all the good parts, Zai gen!

[quote=“Lili”]I think in cases where children are involved, most people would consider “female preferred” the default.
In America, males can’t perform certain duties in pre-K or elementary such as changing diapers/getting kids dressed (literally against the law). [/quote]

Utterly not true.

Some places have a POLICY not to allow men to change female children’s diapers, but it is no way, anywhere (that I know of) the law.

[quote=“johnnyvo”] It’s too bad, I loved the life had in Taiwan I played football, played music, studied at Uni, travelled all over the island and shagged many girls it was paradise.

Now I’m back in Canada unemployed and bored as fuck[/quote]

:roflmao: :roflmao: You’re not the Canadian bloke that ran through CKS before he was deported saying he knew A-bian are you? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t despair Johnny Canuck :laughing: :laughing: There are many third world locales waiting for ex Tim Horton baristas and Canadian proletariat vagabonds to teach them Engrishy and PC ethics. :laughing: Why not head to Vietnam or China?

[quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“johnnyvo”] It’s too bad, I loved the life had in Taiwan I played football, played music, studied at Uni, travelled all over the island and shagged many girls it was paradise.

:roflmao: :roflmao: You’re not the Canadian bloke that ran through CKS before he was deported saying he knew A-bian are you? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t despair Johnny Canuck :laughing: :laughing: There are many third world locales waiting for ex Tim Horton baristas and Canadian proletariat vagabonds to teach them Engrishy and PC ethics. :laughing: Why not head to Vietnam or China?[/quote]
Not being an English teacher, what perverse delight does it give you to say these things?

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“johnnyvo”] It’s too bad, I loved the life had in Taiwan I played football, played music, studied at Uni, travelled all over the island and shagged many girls it was paradise.

Don’t despair Johnny Canuck :laughing: :laughing: There are many third world locales waiting for ex Tim Horton baristas and Canadian proletariat vagabonds to teach them Engrishy and PC ethics. :laughing: Why not head to Vietnam or China?[/quote]
Not being an English teacher, what perverse delight does it give you to say these things?[/quote]

If anything, I’m encouraging him to go forth and multiply with new Asian shag adventures. :laughing: I’m telling him to break the status quo.

[quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“johnnyvo”] It’s too bad, I loved the life had in Taiwan I played football, played music, studied at Uni, travelled all over the island and shagged many girls it was paradise.

Not being an English teacher, what perverse delight does it give you to say these things?[/quote]

If anything, I’m encouraging him to go forth and multiply with new Asian shag adventures. :laughing: I’m telling him to break the status quo.[/quote]
Yeah, mate. +1 for that, but -2 for tact and delivery.

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“johnnyvo”] It’s too bad, I loved the life had in Taiwan I played football, played music, studied at Uni, travelled all over the island and shagged many girls it was paradise.

If anything, I’m encouraging him to go forth and multiply with new Asian shag adventures. :laughing: I’m telling him to break the status quo.[/quote]
Yeah, mate. +1 for that, but -2 for tact and delivery.[/quote]

minus another one for being Canadian and using ‘bloke’…Jesus Christ ChewEy you are gonna lose your right wing blowhard club gold card if you keep talking like a fuckin Limey!

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“johnnyvo”] It’s too bad, I loved the life had in Taiwan I played football, played music, studied at Uni, travelled all over the island and shagged many girls it was paradise.

Yeah, mate. +1 for that, but -2 for tact and delivery.[/quote]

minus another one for being Canadian and using ‘bloke’…Jesus Christ ChewEy you are gonna lose your right wing blowhard club gold card if you keep talking like a fuckin Limey![/quote]
Damn! Down to -3.

Darth vader has embraced his dark side again.