Gender pronouns: What are your pronouns?

Ah, you have noticed a flaw in their cunning plan. Except, they don’t care. I really wish they did.

Grammatical gender is not the same thing as sex gender. As Mark Twain observed, in German a girl is neuter, but an onion is feminine.

1 Like

…which leads us to the question, what’s happening outside of the anglosphere on the pronoun front?

1 Like

Well, at one point the Germans were arguing about whether a female professor (the noun “professor” being normally masculine) ought to be grammatically masculine, grammatically feminine, or add the feminine ending _in. And you’ve probably seen what the Latin@s are doing in Latinx Americx. EDIT: But those aren’t pronouns. Whoops. Well, here’s what Google turns up:

1 Like

Wait ? Was it an Onion or a Turnip? I must know . Re: Twain quote .

1 Like

maybe clarify for a few.
das of das Madchen (girl) is neuter, but other females use the female die, like die Frau, die Lehrerin, etc.

“Lehrer” is masculine–you had to add the feminine ending _in to make it feminine.

PS. Apologies–yes, Twain’s original reads “turnip” (die Rübe, presumably). His essay was “The Awful German Language” (1880).

Do I get a cookie :cookie:? :kissing_heart:

And to clarify further, das Mädchen is neuter because it’s a dimunitive of die Magd, which is feminine.

I wonder if we can just go back through etymology and return to the basics.

He and She both came from the PIE root *ko, meaning “this , here”. He came from *ki, and became hi, while the original third person feminine singular pronoun was hio, the feminine form of hi. The original hio form survives today in the form of her.
Subject Object Dependent possessive Independent possessivepossessive

So perhaps we just use ki for all third person singular pronouns, kim for object pronoun, kis for possessives.

Did you see kim hanging out with them again? Ki has gotta be outta kis mind. They are such a back influence on kim. Ki doesn’t know what kis missing out.

I suppose it’s no better than any other system floating out there, just a new system referencing the etymology of third person singular pronouns.

That’s a good try, but it would result in memes of famous Kims kissing locksmiths, or something. :key:

OK, tables and Chairs have grammatical genders. They cannot go trans.
But some languages must choose a gender for the subject and the verb must reflect that subject.
Maybe Hebrew is the only language that does this. I’m not sure, perhaps Arabic. The verb changes to fit the number and gender (sex?) of the person doing the action.

There are 4 possibilities. Masculine singular, Masculine Plural, Feminine Singular, and Feminine Plural.
He dances She Dances הוא רוקד היא רוקדת

The girls dance. The boys dance הבנות רוקדות. הבנים רוקדים

So, if the transgender or other gender wants to communication in these langage This person will have to choose between the existing possibilities.
Perhaps they already created some trans-suffixes.

Why not? :upside_down_face:

In Thai, there are different 1st person singular pronouns. They’re usually called masculine and feminine, but it actually depends on the feelings you want to express.

How so?

I follow these standard rules for pronouns

https://youtu.be/-v-gcNtNZGQ

1 Like

Any song Parodists in the community?
That would be a fun get very confusing song if it were reworked for today’s gender inclusive grammar rules

I don’t really speak Thai, but my understanding is that a man can use the feminine I to express gentleness, for example in courtship. The feminine I is (was?) also the name of a magazine, something like Ms.

What’s really funny to me is the sexpats who spend so much time absorbing the language from bar girls that they think kha is simply what you say at the end of a sentence (for politeness), not realizing it’s what women say, whereas men say khrap. In other words, they unintentionally feminize themselves. That’s not to be confused with ha, which is (supposedly – I haven’t seen it in a textbook) for kathoeys who want you to know they’re kathoeys (aka ladyboys).

2 Likes

Wow! where in Spain you said this happened to you? that part of Spain called Baltimore?

I say khrap and (achhhh) ka-thoey!, but not out of politeness.

Does unintentionally feminizing oneself work with the ladies?

1 Like