General Power of Attorney

My father lives in America. He is a dual citizen. I live in Taiwan. I am also a dual citizen. My father has properties and an inheritance that he would like me to take care of. I have been told a few times that power of attorney is usually only granted for a specific property and for enumerated specific functions. Does anyone know the best way to create a more long term generalized power of attorney contract to handle all of another person’s affairs in Taiwan?

besides using his chop along with his 身分證?

For selling the properties, the chop and National ID wouldn’t be enough. As far as I know, the normal procedure would just to limit each power of attorney contract to each property. Then I would need another contract to say that I could open and do what I want with a particular bank account…

i don’t know exact answer, but maybe walk into a few different real estate offices and ask, as they may have dealt with same issue during a closing of a property deal.

You can have a general mandate (POA), but there are certain things you can’t do with it. See Art. 528 to 554 of the Civil Code, in particular Art. 534:

If your father is going to grant you a Taiwan mandate while in the US, he’s supposed to fill out a form and have it certified at the TECO/TECRO. They should have it on their website.

Of course, checking with a lawyer is probably a good idea.

1 Like

Ok. I will check out the mandate. Thanks