General Taiwan vs. everywhere else real estate discussion 2021 edition

How many ping? at that price it better be over 50 ping. At least you can build proper walls over the bathroom.

Cant remember but it was a decent size.

On what planet is five years a long time to hang on to property before selling it?

1 Like

+1

Theyā€™ve implemented it quick too.

Heck yeah, collectā€™em like Pokemon. Living the American dream three times over.

@Taiwan_Luthiers there are other ways to improve the situation. For example, vacancy taxes in some NA cities havenā€™t changed the culture of hoarding, but they have been seen to (1) increase tax revenue (which can be used for social programs) and (2) add some relatively affordable, high quality rental units to the market (showing the ā€œthe only way to bring rents down is to build moreā€ slogan for the lie it is).

1 Like

Well, since itā€™s recommended that you should never buy a property if you donā€™t intend to live in it/rent it out for at least 5-7 years, I would say itā€™s not even remotely a long time.

But this law is supposed to stop people from buying houses on speculation, not hoarding. That law actually might do something about the home prices. There are a lot of new builds near me that I checked the cost of when I first moved in (in August). On 591ā€™s ꖰå»ŗꔈ (new builds), there were units listed at 80-88萬/ping. Nine months later, those same units are now ā€œold housesā€ (äø­å¤å±‹), going for at least 98萬/ping. Someone came in and put in ęؓäø­ęؓ (middle level floor/built in lofts) and stupidly placed built-ins, then jacked the price up by 10-18萬/ping. Yet thereā€™s always someone with the building companyā€™s sandwich board standing around advertising that there are units for sale. Yet those units no longer exist in the ā€œnew buildsā€ part of 591ā€™s website, nor can I access how to buy a new unit on the construction companyā€™s site. My guess is that, were I to enquire, I would be told ā€œsorry, we donā€™t have anything at 80萬/ping, but there are some nice units available from 100萬/pingā€. 去吃屎.

2 Likes

I agree. Vacancy taxes, at minimum, slap the hands of people who donā€™t do anything with their properties and make them reconsider what they use them for. Could even use the tax revenue to build well-constructed apartments that are rental-only and reasonably priced (not necessarily ā€œlow income housingā€). Clearly flooding the market with more homes has done nothing in Taipei ā€“ politicians are always talking about ā€œthe lack of housingā€ while soooo many units sit unoccupied for years, meanwhile, the cost per ping has only gone up

2 Likes

Some of it is caused by hoarding, some by speculation. Maybe you have better data than the Taiwanese government to determine.

I was once looking at a 4-bed/2 bath room to purchase. I asked on Facebook whether anyone would share a 4-bed/2-bed room with three other people. FB friends said no. If I build a shacklike-bathroom in the back yard, Itā€™ll be 4-bed/3-bed instead, and a lot more rentable.

No, I just donā€™t have anything to lose by pointing out how to address the actual problem, unlike 100% of Taiwanese politicians whose entire net worth is caught up in shadily acquired property.

Yeah, more people might be willing to rent it, but who actually wants to own and then live in it long term? Iā€™m almost 6ft tall. I donā€™t have the mental agility to need to hunch over in my living space all the time, which is what ęؓäø­ęؓs result in. I guess if I were a very short Taiwanese woman I wouldnā€™t mind so much, but itā€™s this attitude of (usually illegally) cutting floors in half to add another floor is not helping the housing crisis. Itā€™s giving landlords an excuse to provide increasingly less space for increasingly higher prices. Next up will be ā€œcoffin housesā€ like in Hong Kong.

1 Like

Ive seen many of his videos, he always makes insightful points on the different real estate markets around the world Im familiar withā€¦and again he nails all the major points about Taiwan real estate

2 Likes

Number 10 surprises me ā€“ it seems obvious that Chinese would be large investors in property in Taiwan, but I was under the impression (from everything Iā€™d read from other sources) that the Chinese werenā€™t buying up property in Taiwan. Just lots of Taishan.

They are just waiting to get it for free after reunification.

:neutral_face:

There are different borrowed hukou scheme regulations and also some will check how long you were on the hukou in that district. The schools will then enforce a pecking order depending on how popular that school.is . Also if you have one kid is in the school already thatā€™s an advantage. Itā€™s not super straightforward.

We never experienced that with our four kids. Just changed their name to another house in the right location, went to the school to sign up and changed it back the next month. Maybe we never had trouble because all of them are at least three years apart and we used the hukou of different family members sometimes. In return we let them claim one child for their taxes, but one eventually got caught and had to pay some back taxes. :joy:

Sounds like one of the worst housing markets in the world from that video.

Taiwan also has the highest rate of empty apartments. less than 1% public housing, and a very low birth rate to add to the problems.

With nearly 1 million vacant houses and apartments, Taiwan has the highest housing vacancy rate in the world.

Same story to the pollution here, The corrupt old guard ruining society for their own self survival.

1 Like

Trying to convince the neighbor that his idea of buying a property for his workshop is not a good idea, that heā€™s better off renting. The property heā€™s looking at is 30 ping, 15 million NT. He would have to sell his current house he lives in to afford this property and must pay for a bank loan too. Told him he could rent the same property at about 30,000 a month. The mortgage will be about 1.5x that even with more than 60% down payment.

He basically think he can use the property for 5 years and sell it to the next idiot for the same price, or higher.

Seems like a bad plan on his part. But hey itā€™s his money.

Yea he thinks since itā€™s a first floor property it is worth itā€¦ not sure about that as if I want to run a CNC shop I feel location isnā€™t THAT importantā€¦

1 Like