Generic RAM for a Mac

My Intel iMac is running off of 2 gigs of DDR2 sdram, 667 mhz. I’d like to boost that as much as possible.
Is there any reason why I wouldn’t be able to pop in generic RAM?
Getting it through Apple would be expensive and require ordering it and waiting.

thanks.

[quote=“Jaboney”]My Intel iMac is running off of 2 gigs of DDR2 sdram, 667 mhz. I’d like to boost that as much as possible.
Is there any reason why I wouldn’t be able to pop in generic RAM?
Getting it through Apple would be expensive and require ordering it and waiting.

thanks.[/quote]

you should be able to pop in generic ram. apple only wants you to do it thru them so they can double the price on ram they sell to you. no joke. they’ll tell you their ram is specifically tailored for macs, etc. etc. but it’s bs.

That’s what I figured. Thanks.

Now, where can I still find sdram? It’s all ddram now, isn’t it?

can’t help you there. but unfortunately for some weird reason, sdram is harder to find and so shopkeepers make it more expensive. Just be sure the specs are the same as the original ramstick naturally.

Almost all the memory sticks you buy now will be SDRAM. The SD in SDRAM is short for “synchronous and dynamic” which is all RAM sticks.

You were thinking about the old standard SDR SDRAM, where the first SDR stands for “single data read” and has now been replaced with DDR SDRAM, or “double data read SDRAM.”

Make sure you check how many memory slots your iMac has and either it takes DDR2 or DDR3. What year is it?

Uhm, what?

The iMac uses DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM modules, not exactly hard to find, but it’s the kind you use in notebooks, not desktops. However, Macs can be finicky so you might want to get some Mac certified memory just out the simple reason that the standard stuff might not work.
shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=stor … _NO=AGAD33

If that’s too expensive, then I’d go with brands that offer Apple upgrade modules if you want to chance it, so out of the ones on PCHome, I’d say Kingston or Patriot, don’t buy the really cheap stuff, as it’s more likely not to work, worst case. shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=stor … _NO=AGAD11

The current generation iMac takes DDR3 1066MHz RAM. I just wanted to make sure OP checks and confirms that for certain his iMac uses DDR2 667 memory.

Sorry catfish, the reply wasn’t to you, it was to the above posts, you just snuck in as I wrote it :wink: