Genetics and biological age

I thought this was an interesting read at least. What biological age do you feel you are at (when sober).

1 Like

I’ll need to be sober to think about that…
Ask again on the 30th day of this month :wink:

2 Likes

Birthday?

Check your calendar :grin:

There is no 30th

1 Like

I think it’s more like 100 after a hard night’s drinking and 20 after a month long health kick.

1 Like

True, drinking really adds on the years

I have 60 year old knees. I remember when I can jump high enough to dunk…now it hurts doing squats :sob:

2 Likes

I feel ageless in a way but if I had to pick maybe early thirties.

1 Like

That is about what I guessed you were.

1 Like

My knees have surprisingly no pains and no deterioration. My back is very problematic and has been for many years and just gets worse. I also have worrying deterioration on my left hip. The most inconvenient age related problem is my prostrate (no need for details on that one :laughing:)
My eyesight is getting worse rapidly but i still have great hearing better then most young people i know. I would consider taking testosterone but my prostate has problems.

My hip is approximately 150yo (no cartilage). The rest of me is pretty spry, though. At least I can still hop down stairs with little pain (up is another story).

I think that once you get of a certain age - and you have your health - it becomes obvious that age is actually a big advantage. I will grant that my conclusion may be subject to a bit of confirmation bias, but hey lemons lemonade. :grin:

There are patterns in human events that reveal themselves, though, and I believe it’s advantage moi that I perceive them.

eta: I think I’m also fortunate that twice in my life (in my late 20s and in my late 30s) I was very serious about powerlifting. My back is still very strong, and all my major muscles were fully developed. While I didn’t recognize it as such then, now I think of those times as a bit of investment with very high returns.

1 Like

I admire your positive outlook. I was up until 2 years ago extremely fit and strong for my age. Unfortunately this last year i have been in rapid deterioration. I hope it will reverse itself and hope it is not only age related. It gets tiring. :sleeping:

Well, good luck. I’m not one of those obnoxious types with lots of advice to give others, so I’ll just say that heavy-weights/low-reps can kick off lots of physiological changes that help both body and mind. :grinning:

Hang in there. :bowing:

2 Likes

Me too. That’s why I have totally embraced swimming in the last year or so. I also just recently started doing weights. I do very light weights now and I’m no longer trying to impress people with my bench! Lots of back and shoulders to help my swimming and avoid injury.

1 Like

I really enjoy weightlifting. I don’t like endurance sports, I’m not great at them. But it’s been getting harder and harder to squat heavy now. It’s a shame as I used to have such strong and big legs.

I honestly hate getting older. It’s awful. And it’s not going to get any better lol.

I think my #1 goal is trying to regain my flexibility and mobility. My whole body is so stiff these days.

4 Likes

It usually seems to be the legs that lose size first which is of course more noticable when athletic people age.

1 Like

As a taller person with long limbs, it’s a life long struggle to not look like a twig.

1 Like

Where do I send the check. :wink:

1 Like

Not a Taiwan bank unless you want me to give them 10% handling fee :rofl:

1 Like