Geology question: what are the hills made of?

Or more specifically, around Taipei there are hills which seem to be composed of some kind of rock. I guess it must be some kind of sandstone (though I don’t know enough geology to tell it apart from limestone or whatever). Can anyone enlighten me?

Yeah, I know they’ve covered with like, dirt and trees and stuff, but some big, craggy-looking rocks peek through along the ridges.

The sound of music??

Around here, it looks to be a kind of shale-like rock, you can see when there’s a slide or something.
But there’s fuckloads of granite around Hualien, innit?

You find plenty of sandstone walking around the hills in Beitou. They’re mostly made of it I think.

rocks around Taipei are mostly sandstone and shale, except to the north where you get volcanic rocks (like Yangmingshan). Going southeast into the mountains, you get into stronger sandstone and slate.

urodocus whereforth art thou??

zzzzzzz is correct, mostly sandstone and shale.

Here is all the info you need:
tai2.ntu.edu.tw/fot/V1/V1index.htm

Click intro to flora of Taiwan for an intro to geology and geography. Page 6 of the pdf has a geological map of taiwan showing what areas are composed of what type of rock. Enjoy.

There’s a hill in the Dahu area next to the river that looks very synthetic. It is right next to an incinerator stack. I think it’s man-made. But of what I don’t know.

[quote]Here is all the info you need:
tai2.ntu.edu.tw/fot/V1/V1index.htm[/quote]

Thanks for that link, MM.
You don’t know how long I’ve been searching for a book just like that.
:thumbsup:

[quote=“Wookiee”][quote]Here is all the info you need:

:thumbsup:[/quote]

Probably as long as I have. It’s brilliant isn’t it? And I only found it 2 weeks ago myself.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Wookiee”][quote]Here is all the info you need:

:thumbsup:[/quote]

Probably as long as I have. It’s brilliant isn’t it? And I only found it 2 weeks ago myself.[/quote]

A good find, indeed!
Common names in English would have been nice, but that’s only a short websearch for species you don’t recognize.

Thank you, geologists and botanists and suchlike! Yes, the book looks good…

I’m thinking particularly of the ridges that begin around Shrding (Huangditian and Bijiashan) and continue through Erkeshan, Maokong, on to Xindian.

Am I going crazy? I went back to this to download all the files but page 6 doesn’t have the map of rock types anymore. Same chapter content but no map. WTF?

tai2.ntu.edu.tw/fot/V1/V1index.htm

It’s made of garbage.

The hills are alive with the sound of MUSIC …

oh WAIT wrong thread?

Ok enough joking. Actually Taiwan mountains are very complex. Think about the Snow mountain tunnel?? How hard it was to dig that one. Very unstable sections coupled with almost steel hard rock sections. FAult lines, underground water.

Geologists got their job cut out for them studying Taiwans super varied mountains me thinks.

some info:
twgeog.geo.ntnu.edu.tw/english/g … eology.htm

books.google.com/books?id=8sqMGw … ns&f=false

moeacgs.gov.tw/english/twgeo … algeol.jsp